Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply {::The Official DeviantArt Guild::}
Deviant Pet Peeves and Annoyances

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's your worst DA pet peeve? (which do you dislike most)
  Art theft
  Trolling/Flaming
  Nudity
  Sparkle Animals
  Fads (i.e. Halloween-sonas, Patchtogether, 'Leaving DA', etc)
  People being unable to take critique on an art website DESIGNED for critique
  MODs that don't pay attention to MY problems.
  Pointless wolf comics or ones that are SO generic.
  Emo ("Omg I'm leaving this place forever I hate dA")
  Other (SO COMMENTING)
View Results

Kiba_no_Inu

Dangerous Shapeshifter

6,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:40 am
What's your worst?
Not on the poll? Comment about it and why, if possible!

Haha, ranting's allowed :3 But dont be biased and all arsey about your opinions.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:56 am
My First:

Flaming and Trolling
In my opinion, the flaming that goes on after the art theft is worse than the 'crime' committed.
Flaming, trolling, and generally being an a** usually causes me to loose all respect for a deviant. At a time, I tried to get the public to calm, but now I've just started ignoring it.
Art theft is so common anyways, it's just like: Oh look.. another low-life using art that's not theirs. *report*
That is, for mature people. Others sink even lower as to flame, troll, and attempt to completely destroy both person and reputation.
Seen it happen too much. A real pity.

My second:

Sparkle Characters.
I myself used to make characters like those. Ya' know, the types with floofy 'scene' hairstyles, the colorful, unnatural bodies, the wings, the glitter, and the exaggerated features. No actual animal could survive those 'adaptations'. I dont scorn those that draw them, but I certainly dont enjoy them being encouraged.
I wont flame on it or anything. I wont really rant on it. I'll sometimes state, however, that I would prefer to see natural colors on the animal or character, perhaps less accessories, and other things of the manner.
My favorite adoptable club, Deluxe Design Center is totally OK with me because all of its designs are done by artists that like realistic coloring and natural markings.

My third:

Fads
I never really get into them myself, and they certainly spread like wildfire. For example, many people have begun (at least from where I've seen it) making designs for a site called Patchtogether. Sure, they like to have opportunities to get their characters made into plushies or figures. But seriously. Half aren't worth it. The other half are, but aren't something worth-while.
Seems just a way to get popularity (which is probably somethin' else I could've added, but nah) and more 'love' for characters.
The recent Halloween versions of characters hasn't spread too far, since one person actually put that as an exchange of sorts any-who. However, they do get a bit old. The cliche mixture of orange, black, and gray. Oooh, spooky. Tch.
The 'fads' even go as far as comics. The infamous tidal wave of wolf comics came in (most all were generic 'good vs bad' 'pack vs pack of another animal') after KayFedewa's oh-so-popular comic Black Blood Alliance. No, I'm not going to bash her comic. It's nice.
However, the latter that followed... no. Disappointing.

Meh.

There goes my rantish phase :3
Hope to read some of your opinions!

Kiba_no_Inu

Dangerous Shapeshifter

6,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Brandisher 100

Vena

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:58 am
1) I don't like people who pander for free art or cheap art, or get all upset when it's out of their price range.

2) I don't like the system for uploading things on DA... it is kinda convoluted to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:25 pm
all of the above  

Kgosi Arts

~FergiGirl~

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:03 am
Greatest DA pet peeve...

definitely got to be the fads, though sparkle/ultra colorful characters are high on the list too.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:22 pm
Kiba_no_Inu
My First:

Flaming and Trolling
In my opinion, the flaming that goes on after the art theft is worse than the 'crime' committed.
Flaming, trolling, and generally being an a** usually causes me to loose all respect for a deviant. At a time, I tried to get the public to calm, but now I've just started ignoring it.
Art theft is so common anyways, it's just like: Oh look.. another low-life using art that's not theirs. *report*
That is, for mature people. Others sink even lower as to flame, troll, and attempt to completely destroy both person and reputation.
Seen it happen too much. A real pity.

I agree completely. Just report it, and be mature about it. The level of immaturity between people astounds me sometimes. I also can't stand when people can't take criticism on their artwork. Isn't that the point of dA, to create a community of artists trying to make each other better at their craft? Whatever...  

Katsody

Tipsy Bloodsucker

9,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Team Edward 100

Lady Sang

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:03 pm
Art thefts don't really annoy me, they just downright insult me. I've never had it happen to me, but if it did, I'd be reaaaaaaaaaaaaally angry.

I agree about the flaming and trolling, and the failure to take critique strikes a nerve as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:20 pm
I wish I hadn't chosen 'art theft' because my biggest pet peeve on dA is when an artist thinks that they can't make a tiny error in a picture simply because they have "the perfect" measuring system, if you wish to call it that, for drawing. I generally lose respect for the artist because they think that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. And an example of what I meant by the measuring system thing was that the artist uses so many lines and makes sure everything is leveled correctly so that eyes with be even and etc.

CalvinRexx

King Cutie-Pie

MajinPlatypus26

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:54 am
I have my own. When someone I choose to watch, decides to upload the same picture, in 50+ different colors. It's annoying, pointless, and it rapes my inbox.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:48 pm
(My problems are generally directed at photographers because that's what I post and that's what I mainly look at).

1) Poorly edited photos or photos that have not been edited at all. I honestly think too much editing takes away from the photo...but if it's too light or too dark, IT IS OKAY TO CHANGE THE LIGHTING A LITTLE BIT. IT IS OKAY TO MINGLE WITH THE EFFECTS ON PHOTOSHOP. I GUARANTEE YOUR PICTURES WILL GET MORE VIEWS THAT WAY D:< (im not directing exactly AT you :3....unless you do that. then yes..I AM TALKING TO YOU D:
2) People who decide to upload all of their new deviations in one day...amounting to a full inbox full stuff that could have been spaced out nicely 3:< It makes me lose interest quickly and just delete everything quick D:

The End :3  

cens-r

6,475 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
{::The Official DeviantArt Guild::}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items