• Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:56 am
pirulaso
Matasoga
pirulaso
Rei Inaba
pirulaso
Rei Inaba
Is there something wrong with wanting to see a person be successful even if he or she is a baby puncher or a mass murderer?
The anthropologist in me says no.

My personal opinion says, that just seems illogical if you don't like the main character. Don't get me wrong, American Psycho made hooker killing fun and cheeky, but if a movie about Hitler comes out, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be rooting for him.. Or do you always like the main character no matter what?
Don't know. Hitler I might draw the line at.
Something to think about I guess

I emphatically agree with you, Piru. While anti-heroes are always preferred and shades of gray are the only morality that I believe in (in fiction or reality), I detested Light with the passion of a thousand suns. I disagreed with the killing, I didn't care for his overall character, but it was really his insufferably endless, and suffocatingly pompous, self-righteousness that had be giggling with glee while I watched him meet such a pitiful end.
Arrogance will make me want to see a character suffer a set-bac, bigotry will make me wish death on a character, but it is self-righteousness that will make me want that end to hurt the most. Disney fans will remember Frollo. (I understand that the book is different, so I'll leave literature aside, at this point.) That man died far too quick a death.
Ha, that's funny. Disney usually goes with the gruesome villain death too.

And yeah, I watched most of deathnote just to watch Light get it. He was soooooo douichy. There wasn't any real likable characters in the show for me. I just found the concept of L too unrealistic... Ha, I understand that's nit picky considering there was giant invisible death monsters

I like Ryuk, but yeah, it was a bit more of an event show. You know how some shows are more about the characters themselves and some are about events. Ghost in the Shell is a good example of the latter. The personalities of the characters are so secondary that unless you go searching, you're unlikely to find any at all.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:59 am
Matasoga
pirulaso
Matasoga
pirulaso
Rei Inaba

I emphatically agree with you, Piru. While anti-heroes are always preferred and shades of gray are the only morality that I believe in (in fiction or reality), I detested Light with the passion of a thousand suns. I disagreed with the killing, I didn't care for his overall character, but it was really his insufferably endless, and suffocatingly pompous, self-righteousness that had be giggling with glee while I watched him meet such a pitiful end.
Arrogance will make me want to see a character suffer a set-bac, bigotry will make me wish death on a character, but it is self-righteousness that will make me want that end to hurt the most. Disney fans will remember Frollo. (I understand that the book is different, so I'll leave literature aside, at this point.) That man died far too quick a death.

And yeah, I watched most of deathnote just to watch Light get it. He was soooooo douichy. There wasn't any real likable characters in the show for me. I just found the concept of L too unrealistic... Ha, I understand that's nit picky considering there was giant invisible death monsters

I like Ryuk, but yeah, it was a bit more of an event show. You know how some shows are more about the characters themselves and some are about events. Ghost in the Shell is a good example of the latter. The personalities of the characters are so secondary that unless you go searching, you're unlikely to find any at all.
I don't get why people consider Light a murderer. I mean think about it. You cannot make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. Just change "omelet" to "better world", "breaking" to "killing", and "eggs" to "bad people". I would gladly make use of a Death Note to make the world better. biggrin  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

pirulaso

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:43 pm
Rei Inaba
Matasoga
pirulaso
Matasoga
pirulaso
Rei Inaba

I don't get why people consider Light a murderer. I mean think about it. You cannot make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. Just change "omelet" to "better world", "breaking" to "killing", and "eggs" to "bad people". I would gladly make use of a Death Note to make the world better. biggrin
Ha, you're definition of murderer is a little funky

But he doesn't just kill bad people. He kills the CIA agents and police with intense malicousness... Remember the CIA agent's wife? He wrote it so she went home and killed herself. That's not exactly like... "Oh, I gotta do one bad thing to continue my work"  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:46 pm
pirulaso
Rei Inaba
Matasoga
pirulaso
Matasoga

But he doesn't just kill bad people. He kills the CIA agents and police with intense malicousness... Remember the CIA agent's wife? He wrote it so she went home and killed herself. That's not exactly like... "Oh, I gotta do one bad thing to continue my work"
They were getting in the way of his righteous mission. Logic dictated he made an example of them.  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

pirulaso

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:50 pm
Matasoga
pirulaso
Matasoga
pirulaso
Rei Inaba

True, I did like Ghost in The Shell cause the world was intriquing. At first, it seemed like Death Note would do the same with the different tactics and finding out who did it, but then I kind of lost interest when the business men got the death note  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:01 pm
Rei Inaba

And there we go. We just passed the point where Deathnote can be discussed with me without politics being a factor. I am backing out, now, in the interests of not derailing the thread. Clearly you think one person, with aspirations of legitimate authority, can be in the right in using a personal death penalty, so there's little left to speculate upon.
I will be watching, because I find your protagonist-is-always-right (even when he's clearly wrong) psychology interesting... It's funny that Hitler was already brought up. Replace "protagonist" with "my country" and one begin to understand how Nazis came into power.
pirulaso
True, I did like Ghost in The Shell cause the world was intriquing. At first, it seemed like Death Note would do the same with the different tactics and finding out who did it, but then I kind of lost interest when the business men got the death note

Honestly the personalities of the characters were so understated that they were almost absent. You were never meant to question a character's motivation because it was all obvious and there was little to differentiate one personality from the next. To say that it wasn't the focus of the show would be far too much of an understatement.  

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

pirulaso

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:05 pm
Rei Inaba
pirulaso
Rei Inaba
Matasoga
pirulaso
Matasoga

They were getting in the way of his righteous mission. Logic dictated he made an example of them.
Ha, This is weird after seeing the hiroshima thread you posted the other day...

That's what I kind of thought was unrealistic about the whole story... Cause in reality, if it wasn't for L somehow figureing it out, the CIA and police would never figure it out. Its an insane pattern with a weapon we've no idea exists. The fact that Light did get caught in the end is kind of bizarre.

And I really don't think the CIA would stop after their entire operation in Japan just died at once. That'd probably make them try harder cause there's some kind of super weapon there

I can see you really like getting into their mind sets. You like to imagine being that person. I personally don't, I enjoy watching things as a whole like a play.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:13 pm
Matasoga
Probably because I was raised with Bible stories of God and his followers doing all kinds of acts of killing in the name of divine justice or something like that, but Light's actions never shocked me in the slightest.  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:17 pm
pirulaso
Rei Inaba
pirulaso
Rei Inaba
Matasoga

That's what I kind of thought was unrealistic about the whole story... Cause in reality, if it wasn't for L somehow figureing it out, the CIA and police would never figure it out. Its an insane pattern with a weapon we've no idea exists. The fact that Light did get caught in the end is kind of bizarre.

And I really don't think the CIA would stop after their entire operation in Japan just died at once. That'd probably make them try harder cause there's some kind of super weapon there

I can see you really like getting into their mind sets. You like to imagine being that person. I personally don't, I enjoy watching things as a whole like a play.
I also look at Light's results. In a few years he created a world with no war and drastically reduced crime. Who wouldn't want that?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:21 pm
Rei Inaba
Matasoga
Probably because I was raised with Bible stories of God and his followers doing all kinds of acts of killing in the name of divine justice or something like that, but Light's actions never shocked me in the slightest.

Heh, and I was thinking of you as "Red-State Rei" before that, so I'm sure that you can imagine what this justification of your reasoning does for my logic. Again, I shall truncate my reply, because this thread is also not about the acceptance of and desensitization man's atrocities against man borne of religion.  

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:27 pm
Matasoga
Rei Inaba
Matasoga

Heh, and I was thinking of you as "Red-State Rei" before that, so I'm sure that you can imagine what this justification of your reasoning does for my logic. Again, I shall truncate my reply, because this thread is also not about the acceptance of and desensitization man's atrocities against man borne of religion.
Actually I'm no longer a believer in what I was taught unless people can prove it happened using science and history...

But like I said, I also look at Light's results. In only a few years, no war and very little crime.

P.S. I rarely agree with Republicans on things.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:30 pm
Rei Inaba
pirulaso
Rei Inaba
pirulaso
Rei Inaba
Matasoga

I also look at Light's results. In a few years he created a world with no war and drastically reduced crime. Who wouldn't want that?
Probably the millions of people who just had family members die because they had a rap sheet. Were the con artists who helped take down the businessmen, did they really deserve instant death?

Ha, genocide is nothing new, it's not that Light's actions shocked or traumatized me. I simply don't agree with it. I don't see ends justify the
means. I feel like you might just be playing devil's advocate.  

pirulaso

Dapper Lunatic

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:43 pm
pirulaso
Rei Inaba
pirulaso
Rei Inaba
pirulaso

Probably the millions of people who just had family members die because they had a rap sheet. Were the con artists who helped take down the businessmen, did they really deserve instant death?

Ha, genocide is nothing new, it's not that Light's actions shocked or traumatized me. I simply don't agree with it. I don't see ends justify the
No, I just heard his plan at the start of the series, sounds like a good plan. Wipe out all the bad people so only good people remain. Of course the governments would mistake it for murder, but who cares what they think?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:39 pm
Rei Inaba
pirulaso
Rei Inaba
pirulaso
Rei Inaba
pirulaso

No, I just heard his plan at the start of the series, sounds like a good plan. Wipe out all the bad people so only good people remain. Of course the governments would mistake it for murder, but who cares what they think?
Ha, those plans usually only work if your judgement is infallible.

And I gotta ask why is not murder?  

pirulaso

Dapper Lunatic

Movies TV Shows Books Comics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out