70%  [ 19 ]
No
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 27

nine-step waltz

Tipsy Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:50 pm
Due to a few personal events recently I have realized that I need a productive yet entertaining activity that needs concentration, mostly for when I get stressed. Nothing seems to be doing the distraction job well enough so I have started thinking that learning the basics of a language might do the trick.

I'm not looking to become fluent or anything relatively close to that so I am not looking for a one hundred dollar program or online class since I mostly want it for a distraction.

^-^ I also would like your personal opinions on if you think this would be a good distraction.

1. Do you think this is a good idea for a distraction?

2. Do you girls know of any helpful sites or general tips about learning a language without the aid of a teacher?

3. Do you have any suggestions on an interesting language?

4. Have you/could you teach yourself a language?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:03 pm
there is a free program called before you know it, it has basic words and sentences. I find it easy to learn from it.  

Laughter Epidemic

greeness

Super Junior

20,925 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
  • Building the Army 50
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:53 pm
we have rosetta stone that we DLed for free.
I, of course, know english, et je parle francais (trois ans d'ecole), y etiendo espanol. I've also done a lot of the japanese lessons on rosetta stone.
languages are fun to learn if you already have the mindset for it. chances are if you didn't start learning a second language by the age of five or so, you'll never be fluent in any other language than your native tongue. then again, you said you don't want to be fluent sooooo.... have fun! if it gives you a headache though, don't feel bad about giving it up XD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:10 pm
User Image

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

: ) Thank you both.

Random note:

I actually know quite a few people that have became fluent in languages when they never spoke another until their college years. : D I think it has more to do with opportunity to speak in everyday use and the persons drive rather then when you learn it, though I can't disagree with learning as a child and being a lot better.

^-^ Luckily two years of Latin may work for something after all~*

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

nine-step waltz

Tipsy Nerd

Spyros Girlfriend

3,100 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:17 am
I usually copy lyrics of songs.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:35 am
I think the best way to educate yourself in another language, is in combination with talking to a native-speaker. I do this for my Japanese, through a Skype site called 'The Mixxer'. It's a fun , effective way to learn and remember what you've learned, and you make some friend while you're at it. You should get the basics of a language first though.

Happedol

Immortalizing the Moment

5,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:50 pm
I know Sign Language! And I looooove eeeet. I learned my second semester in college and I now have a few deaf friends that I sign with three times a week. smile It's pretty awesome, thanks.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:20 pm
I've made a habit of learning languages even if I will never likely use them. I know just enough Japanese for war, enough Spanish to talk to a few friends, and am writing a Drow version of the OED. Still learning Latin and giving up on ever learning German.
-pouts-
I can't pronounce anything right in German.

DOMOs Kender child

Yoru_Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:13 pm
It's my goal to learn at least a few words in every language. So no matter where I am or who I'm talking to, I can confuse someone.

Currently, I know: French, Spanish, English (Duh), Japanese, and German. But I'm best at French and English.

I'd recommend learning another language. It's a great way to spend your time and there are so many places to learn from and about. Here's some advice tho, start with a language that uses almost the same alphabet as English as a starter. It's easier to get a foothold then.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:26 am
Nifty idea. I think you probably could successfully teach yourself, especially if you began with a language with a grammar and structure similar to English's that it would be easy to practice/find in your life... Spanish or French, I'd say. Those are usually the ones you find on store labels and whatnot.

I've taken both Spanish and French (although that's not why I recommended them--they're just the most common in the US in general), and I find Spanish easier, but some of my friends think French is easier. It depends on the person, really. So I'd say start with one of those. Spanish in particular you can probably find some Spanish tv shows, music, and radio stations to help you practice.

Hersheydudette

Stormgem

Tipsy Streaker

10,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:37 am
Haha! You should learn Te Reo Maori!!! - Every kid in NZ has to learn the basics in Primary school.......but I've forgotten.

I'm currently in the process of doing my spainish homework - I have been teaching myself this language for the last year as we have to do it via correspondance school - I had previously had a useless teacher for two years. I have learnt more this year than ever - although I am now sick of it.

I plan to take Japanese at University next year - I am teaching myself the basics such as learning the Hiragana and Katakana over the summer break and some basic grammar and vocab. I love the fact you can take any new language at Uni!!!

Tips - vocab before grammar.
I went to Japan on like 5 words of Japanese for two weeks - what I noticed was I learnt the vocab way quicker than the grammar........and its the same with spanish - I understand more now that I have learnt more vocab, while before I was battling to learn grammar.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:15 pm
I say some very interesting languages that you could probably learn is sign language and japenese...:3  

Kaiko luv

Friendly Friend

6,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

AstridMiriam

Party Browser

13,100 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Edward 100