Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:23 am
In real life, most countries have their dominant religion. In America, Europe, and most Spanish-speaking nations, that's Christianity. In Japan, it's Buddhism. In India, it's Hinduism.

Dominant religions will also have at least some effect on a country's culture and lifestyle, regardless of how much they try to keep religion and politics separate. Heck, the Japanese have a religiously-originated fertility festival where a giant wooden p***s is carted around town... gaijin don't seem to care. It's part of the local culture.

I'd like to think people are mature enough to accept that, but nooooo. You can't say Merry Christmas in America anymore. It's getting awfully hard to even get away with putting up Christmas trees in public places. I don't even observe holidays and I still think that's ridiculous. Christmas is part of America's culture, I don't celebrate it but you don't see ME trying to get in the way of what has become a natural part of the winter holiday season.

Such a shame that Gaia does that too... I mean... X-Mas? Holiday Tree? And remember that EI report where Timmy was with a priest from the "Nondenominational Church of Nonspecific Worship"? That one was just pathetic. Be nice if Gaia didn't go out of it's way to avoid even MENTIONING real religions or anything related to a real religion.

The Nintendo series "Dobutsu no Mori" ("Animal's Forest", better known as "Animal Crossing") used to have real holidays in it. Now I hear it has festivals instead. sad

If people are offended by religions other than their own, then that's just sad, pathetic, and immature.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:20 am
I think the priest from the evolving item report was just satire... pretty much making fun of the very thing that you are complaining about. To some degree they do try not to avoid mention any specific religion or religious holiday so as not to offend anyone, but through their jokes and other various writings, they drop hints that they are not necessarily accepting of it... they just want to offend the least amount of people possible.

I think this all fits in with trying to be more "politically correct"... taking extra steps and going out of your way to make sure that someone isn't offended in some way. If you really want to vent at someone for having set this in motion, you can start with those that have in the past threatened legal action for finding the mention of a religion aside from their own to be offensive.

Personally, I do not really celebrate most western holidays either... but having a tree decorated with lights doesn't hurt me or anyone else so I do not see why it should be a problem, especially since in the United States we are guaranteed freedom of religion... or at least that was the intention of the founding fathers.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:20 pm
I think a lot of people are missing the point to the "Happy Holidays" vs. "Merry Christmas" thing. Being an atheist, I don't really celebrate many holidays. I do celebrate the American version of Christmas in the sense that I give gifts to everyone I know. I have no problem with people telling me "Merry Christmas" or any other holiday greeting because that is what they celebrate, it doesn't offend me. What does offend me is when a government organization assumes I'm a certain religion. Private business, individuals, churches, etc, I don't care because it's not a State or Federal run operation. So, Happy Holidays to all. I don't know what you celebrate, but happy December regardless.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:35 pm
That priest (or "holy" man or what have you) was intended to be satirical, as observed above.
As far as I'm concerned, all religions are pretty repugnant, Judeo-Christian ones usually being the worst, second only to some branches of Islam, when it comes to sheer oppression, particularly gender-based. When you actually look at the level of irrationality and inhumanity brought about by it, it's a wonder that the merest mention of religion doesn't offend the average person.
That said, Merry Christmas.  

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:53 pm
Matasoga
That priest (or "holy" man or what have you) was intended to be satirical, as observed above.
I picked up on that but I would have preferred a real or made-up religion over a satirical one.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:18 am
Kanjite Knight
Matasoga
I picked up on that but I would have preferred a real or made-up religion over a satirical one.

"Real" religion. That's funny.
The religion presented here was no less legitimate than any other, so far as I'm concerned.  

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

lostphrack

Codebreaking Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:46 am
There are non-denominational churches out there, aren't there?

Anyway, I have no problem with it being called X-Mas. I've seen it called X-Mas since elementary school decades ago, soooo.. yeah. That's hardly a new wave or trend. Happy Holidays doesn't bug me either, then again I'm not really bothered by the removal of Christmas decorations from public property either, so hey.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:36 pm
Matasoga
Kanjite Knight
Matasoga

"Real" religion. That's funny.
The religion presented here was no less legitimate than any other, so far as I'm concerned.
You're going to say the "Pretendo Super Gamestation" is just as valid a game console as the Sony Playstation?  

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:49 pm
Matasoga
When you actually look at the level of irrationality and inhumanity brought about by it, it's a wonder that the merest mention of religion doesn't offend the average person.
One thing to keep in mind is that the religion itself in most cases does not actually bring about the inhumanity you speak of, but rather the followers. There is a difference here.

Most religions focus on being kind and forgiving to others rather than insisting everyone of different faiths be rivals. It is those that think to themselves that their religion somehow absolves them from all guilt and/or that their religion needs to be forced onto others because of how highly they think of it that causes the problem... in other words "elitism".

Even if you take religion out of the picture, you will see this elitist personality arise in other areas. For example, have you heard of people starting riots after sports events? This is caused by elitist mentality. Some people believe their team is so much better than the other team that they will start a fight over it.

The reason religion has such a high profile in regards to such actions is mostly due to the amount of followers. Each sports team only has a limited amount of those who feel some sense of loyalty to their team, and a smaller percentage of that are the ones that have the elitist mentality in regards to their team. Being that the number of sports teams in existence is so vast and carries over into many different kinds of sports, the audience is spread too thin for anything major to really come from it. With religion, however, there are relatively very few in comparison to the world's population. Therefore, each religion has many more followers than a sports team would, thus a larger amount of people that feel a sense of loyalty to their religion and a larger amount that develop elitism.

Furthermore, as the idea of having no religion grows in popularity, you begin to see the people without religion starting fights with the people that believe in religion because they too are developing the mentality that their way is the only way. While atheism and agnosticism are typically seen as the practice of no religion, there are those who bind to them, follow them, and preach them just as if they were religions... making "no religion" the new religion. Kind of ironic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:33 am
Playing the Devil's Advocate (which may sound ironic in a moment), I'd argue that "atheist" is more of a four-letter word. Mitt Romney was a serious presidential contender, and his Mormon beliefs were a non-issue. Could an atheist ever seriously expect to run for office in the U.S.? It would be political suicide. I think I've been told that someone is praying for me more since I've become an atheist than during my whole Lutheran upbringing. And that's after I've explained why I no longer believe in the Judeo-Christian God. I get the impression that 'atheist=sinful godless heathen' in the minds of many Christians, regardless of how many jerks I've met that happen to be Christian. These days it's just easiest to not say anything outright, and have my fellow Americans assume I'm Christian just like them.  

Laserwulf

5,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:10 pm
As an atheist, I have had my share of people preaching to me. I'm not one to pretend that I am of another religion. That's not what America was founded on and I will not live my life in fear. On the other hand, I choose not to talk about what I believe during inopportune times, like at work. On the flip side, I haven't met many "true" atheists. Many just are unsatisfied by main stream religion that they say that God has turned their back on them or that they hate God. I know many people are mistrustful of Muslims in our county right now, but compared to an atheist, they belong to the "we believe in something" club. I try not to hold it against people, but sometimes the hate can be too much.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:17 pm
I've certainly noticed that as well, Laserwulf. I know that unfortunately it pretty much would be political suicide for someone who is openly atheist to run for any sort of government position because of how Christianity is the most predominant religion in the west. I think how a politician would perform their duties is much more important than their religious beliefs, but people tend to vote for someone religious because they think that makes them more moral, which is obviously not always the case.... especially when it comes to politicians.

I think I should point out that you seem to be equating the word "religion" to mean "Christian". While Mitt Romney is Mormon, it is still a branch of Christianity, thus making it a non-issue. Would it still be a non-issue if he had been Muslim or Hindu? Probably not. It's not just atheism that is shunned, but rather everything non-Christian. From my personal experience, I can tell you that being of another religion can at times make it harder than just being atheist because then you're accused of being in a cult, worshiping "false gods", and just being all around depraved and "unnatural". My spouse's cousin is atheist and he isn't railed on nearly half us much as we are.

All that aside, despite Christians being the majority of the US population, you still have those that act as if talking about religion is a horrible thing. Even those that are Christian at times try to avoid discussion of it because they don't want to get into any heated argument in regards to different sects, different religions, or lack of religion.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces