Reply 18. ✿ - - - Books
Ok, So I always wanted and try to write a book. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:03 am
Thing is, I never finish it. I lack inspiration, I have some several ideas but I have no idea how to word them.

Does anyone maybe have some tips for me? :3  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:06 am
i'm the same way.
i want to write so bad.
but just can't seem to get started.

so i'm quite interested in what kind
of advice everyone has. (:

Seawicket

vampiremistress702

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:40 am
here's the secret: Discipline.

set a time for your self that's just for writing, that's what I do.

for example, lets say that from 5 to 6 on Sunday is your time to write and you wont do anything else in that time. it dosent have to be that time, but you get the idea.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:40 pm
I really want to write a book, too, but have never been able to finish a whole story. The movie "Whisper of the Heart" always motivates me to write, though. It's a Hayao Miyazaki movie. The main girl is writing a story, too. 3nodding  

Earyn

Eloquent Dabbler

17,775 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Bookworm 100
  • Nerd 50

SilentFantasies

Invisible Entrepreneur

6,900 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:50 pm
My mum knew an author and his advice was to write only 1 page a day for a whole year. At the end of the year you'd have 365 pages.

I personally get about 20 pages or so in then forget about it/lose inspiration/give up. But I havent tried his advice yet. I think I might rewrite what I was working on. I dont know yet.

Sometimes going back and rewriting what you have is good as well, helps jog more ideas.

Also be sure to frequently go back and read what you write to make sure it makes sense.

Anyways, that's my advice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:27 am
Some authors use an outline to guide the plot and to prevent inconsistencies. Not that it always works...just ask Charles Dickens!  

Aachren

this little secret

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:31 pm
One of the basic things is, to just write. Have discipline. Know what the beginning, middle, and end is.
Writing a book is hard, but easy at the same time. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:28 pm
I'm attempting to write..... at least a novel. I have 23 pages so far. I've been writing it since Augest planning since Augest, and I started writing in November.

What I'd try is doing
NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month.
Technically, it's in November, but you can do it any month.

ShePotterGleek

2,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

thomlina

2,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:13 pm
i have just finished my rough draft of my book and i have writen the begining hundereds of times. i don't know the perfect way to start it so people will be interesed in it. well my tip for you is write the ending first than work up to it. i know it sounds weired but it works trust me on that.  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:19 pm
well instead of saying osmething like "The man got away" Say something like "Soon he had escaped our clutches!". What im trying to say is think of simple words and then make them all big like you actaully understand them! XD like me.  

ade4

6,000 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100

glowkitty

Sparkly Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:01 pm

I'd suggest NaNoWriMo, too. Plan out as much as you can until November and then start writing then. It's surprising how helpful knowing and talking to thousands of other people going through the same thing as you are is. If you aren't working it that way, try writing scenes you really want to get to and then bridging those together, rather than writing the whole thing in sequence.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:40 am
There's no one way to write a book..but, this will help you make it happen. And it'll help you to avoid my ranting. I do have a few writing tips on DA, but here's the main points.

-Write the plot out. J.K. Rowling did this. Don't try to make a plot in a day.
-If you're going to use large words, make sure you know what they mean. Stephanie Meyer used so many words the wrong way..incandescent, scintillating, flush..
-Try to SHOW, not to TELL. Instead of saying that Bob likes books, have him hang out in the library.
-If you use over-poetic terms, it gets annoying. Purple prose. I do like poetry, but don't lace the book with it.
-Stephen King says that you should write every day. He also says in his book 'On Writing' that you shouldn't edit until later.  

Femme Autobot Crescendo

Proxy Werewolf

12,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200

.Vindicated.Of.Sanity.

8,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:41 pm
My biggest tip would be: don't expect to write it perfectly the first time. But do write it the first time. Don't keep going back and constantly editing, because you'll never move forward, but don't expect it to be perfect the first time. Just... go through and write the whole book. Don't worry about things not making sense, don't worry about being stuck in one specific moment in the book for too long. Then, after you're done, give your book a little space, then go back and read it. Give your rough rough manuscript to your friends and family to read, ask their opinions, ask for advice on what to fix to make it better. You can also seek opinions from us here, or on other websites (I know I read a lot of stuff at fictionpress.com) and see what advice you can garner. Then, go back and do your editing. And keep in mind that you might have to edit it several times before it's fully right in your eyes.
But the most important part is actually starting. Start with, not a flawless plot, necessarily, but a decently solid plot, then write it. Write the whole book; lock your inner critic in a solid titanium box, and just write the book how you think it should go. All the fancy tricks and intricacies of writing can come later during the polishing.

Edit: Oh, and also: write for you. Don't write for anyone else. Don't sensor your ideas or wording or anything for anyone who might be reading it, don't select a target audience or demographic. Just write a story for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:57 pm
As stated earlier, there is no one way to write a novel. Every author/writer is different. But here's my advice:

Just write.
Don't worry about it being sequential; just write whatever comes to you. Later on you can piece the events together.
Don't(!) edit.
Editing while writing the novel will only discourage you. Save that icky stuff til the end.
Write something every day.
Whether it be a sentence, a paragraph, or thirty pages. Maybe writing just consists of adding to your outline.
The deal with outlines:
they keep you organized. i am in love with them, and i can only write with them. But not everyone is that way.
Inspiration:
the best thing a writer can do is well, write of course, but also read. Read things tht are similar to your book. To compare and contrast. I'm not saying steal ideas, but see how your competition is. Also read things non-relative. They had to sell for a reason.
i also enjoy listening to music. i've known a published author who listens to movie soundtracks and uses that as her outline; what am i missing? oh, the eeire silence--i'll go fill in a spot i've also enjoyed watching music videos.
Publication:
don't worry about it. HOnestly don't even think about it until you've finished your first rough draft. Then have others (friends who will be honest) read your work and give feedback.

Most importantly, love writing. If it gets to the point where you hate it, take a break (it's okay to skip a day or so then). Let the experience be fun and natural to you.

Well, i hope i helped. PM if you have questions. i'm a seriuos writer; it's my passion.  

CrimsonsDecayingRose

Vanna1994

Rainbow Hunter

30,075 Points
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Threadmaster 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:00 pm
I have the same problem, havent done any writing other than English yet but I cant word things either XP
A friend of mine gave me some advice for when you lack inspiration, go away and doing something else for a bit, then come back to it,

She also told me that when you start writing, just write, then come back to it two days or so later, then reread and rewrite anything that needs to be rewritten.
Im sure that can be repeated as many times as needed.  
18. ✿ - - - Books

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff