Submit

are you studying Japanese in college?
  yup :3
  nope
  I wish I was T_T
View Results

SweetPolaris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:53 pm
Are any of you studying or have studied Japanese in college? If so, in which one? What do you think of the Japanese program in your college/university?

(I didn't see any thread similar to this one so I hope it's ok)  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:40 am
Waa i am not studying at one although i waish i was crying  

Yona Kazumi

Lucinacia

Fashionable Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:27 am
I'm studying through the University of Maryland.
... :/ It's decent. Wish the classes were longer and that I actually had a real text book. *sighs* Not something called Japanese for Busy People.
D: It says it's a text book, but I don't believe it. :<

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:13 am
I took three years of Japanese classes in college. They were pretty good, really. I would have minored in Japanese except the Japanese culture class I needed to take wasn't offered my senior year because the professor went on sabbatical.  

Coda Highland
Crew

Eijay

5,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:12 am
I'm actually a high school junior and right now I'm taking private lessons at a little language school clled Aux Troix Pommes. It's only twice a week but hey, it got me through the JLPT level 4! biggrin I'm still hoping though that I'll be able to take a class at Yale next year. I live one town over from the campus and I'm trying to work out some way I can get to a class and still still take the right number of high school classes. Even if this falls through though, I'm pretty determined to take some kind of Japanese class when I get to college. So baisically... someday I will be!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:44 am
Lucinacia
I'm studying through the University of Maryland.
... :/ It's decent. Wish the classes were longer and that I actually had a real text book. *sighs* Not something called Japanese for Busy People.
D: It says it's a text book, but I don't believe it. :<

Meh I haven't heard good things about Japanese for Busy people. That sucks!

I'm a student at Portland State University and we use JSL (Japanese: the Spoken Language). I absolutely hate the book and wish we were using something like Genki gonk  

SweetPolaris

cajega

Liberal Giver

12,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Firestarter 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:56 am
I plan to start Japanese at the University of Evansville (IN) in the fall. Not sure which book is used, but I can't wait to start.

Also, I took some lessons at Furman University in South Carolina. BORING AS HECK. The teacher didn't seem to care much, neither did the students eek  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:04 pm
I'm applying for Michigan State and majoring it if I get in.
If not I'm going to take classes at our community college for a few years.

They have over 10 japanese classes and do placement tests.  

Snasper

10,315 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250

IdiotbyDefault
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:23 pm
Went 4 years in high school, took 3 years of Japanese at IUPUI and studied abroad for a year in Japan through my college's program (free tuition and room and board, HECK YES!). My college's program is okay, but it could be better as either Earlam's or IUB's program which I heard is more rigorous and probably sounds better in the long run. It took me until I was in Japan to get my JLPT Level 3 though (going to work on level 3 or 2 on the new test).  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:30 am
I'm in the second semester of Japanese one at Weber State University in Utah. It's actually pretty good, and my sensei's really nice. smile The book we use gets a bit confusing, but sensei explains it, so it's all good. ^.^  

NosferatuGirl

14,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Weiss Kitsune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:30 am
I have a week left in my 5th quarter at my local community college. I have one quarter left before I'm done there. They don't offer more than two years of any language. In my opinion it's a great class but to be fair it really depends on the teacher. The first quarter I had a different teacher. I went into the class already knowing hiragana and katakana and some very basic vocab. I left the class feeling like I didn't even learn everything I was supposed to from the 4 chapters we went through. The teacher I have now is amazing and I feel like I learn more than I'm supposed to even if it is a little overwhelming at times. Oh and our textbook is Nakama. I'm sure there are better ones but we have to use it because the UW uses it.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:14 am
My class used Nakama as well. It's not BAD -- I can't levy any specific complaints about it -- but I'm certain that there are better.  

Coda Highland
Crew

Light_SpiritCat

Sparkling Shoujo

12,650 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:58 am
i learned japanese in my university
at first semester, it's like piece of cake, since i learned them already in high school
i'm in second semester right now. So the subjects are all new (the kanjis are getting harder).
On third and fourth semester we'll have like Chuukyu (and we always join Kanji Cup, i hope i never join it).  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 am
I'm starting community college in August & we have no Japanese language classes here!! crying  

Shinkai-Brujeria

Fanatical Muse

14,200 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Survivor 150
  • Wintersday Bard 50

Ukryu

6,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:39 pm
I'm currently in a program where I'm taking classes at the local community college while in high school. There's no Japanese class here though. crying It's free though so I guess I shouldn't complain. I don't know what I want to major in yet, but I've already decided that no matter what I'll be taking Japanese classes when I move to a 4 year college.  
The Japanese Student Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff