Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply HPSG Head Quarters
Less picky with time

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I'm sorry in advance for the many Draco/Harry mentionings
  I think it'll be my OTP until death. xD
View Results

External Penetration
Crew

Greedy Codger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:45 am
I've found that over the years I've become less picky in most ways as a slasher.
I don't just mean getting over squicks, but also revolving around pairings (though in a way, this is getting over some squicks) and stuff.

Like, I used to be strict about Harry only being with Draco.
Now, so long as he bottoms, I pretty much enjoy Harry with anyone, even if I used to hate the pairing.
(For example, I used to find Snarry disgusting, but now I enjoy it.)
Not to mention the fact that I will read such a wide variety of pairings.

Although I have become stricter over who tops/bottoms with some pairings/characters (like Draco/Harry; I used to not really care who did what, but now Draco must top and Harry must bottom, or I die inside), for the most part I'm more lenient.
I still dislike the bigger or older person bottoming though...can't seem to get over that one.
Examples of me being more lenient:
For a long time I never pictured Neville being a top in any pairing, even after the last book. Now there are quite a few people I can imagine him topping.
After deciding Draco must top Harry, I also decided he either must top or -in the case of it being someone older- it just can't happen at all. Now I don't mind him bottoming to older people.

I'll also read femslash occasionally.
I never minded it as a side-pairing before, but sometimes now I'm like "sure, my day could use some girl/girl."
(Yet I still almost never read het outside side-pairings, despite being a straight female. Wtf@self. xd )

I had more things I'm less picky about, but of course since I went to make a thread about them I've forgotten some. -_-"

Anyways, discuss if/how you have or haven't grown as a slasher/femslasher.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:32 am
Yes, I think you're right. I used to be just Severus/Remus, all the way. Now I can read Snarry, or Drarry, or even Sirius/Remus. I just prefer Snupin.

However, I'm the opposite of you with the topping/bottoming thing. I like things to not be what you would expect, thus slash in the first place. I like the idea of strong men being vulnerable to someone they trust. And seemingly weak men taking care of them.

About the femmeslash...like you said, less picky. Didn't used to like it, used to bother me a little, but as het now grosses me out, the options are limited. xD  

alisonlynn

flight815kitsune

Friendly Conventioneer

7,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:01 pm
I would say that yeah, I've become a bit more lenient as far as pairings are concerned. Drarry will likely always have me more, but now...(please excuse the het)
Draco/Neville
Draco/Luna
Draco/Blaise
Seamus/anyone
Regulus/Lucius
Tonks/Hooch
Tonks/Luna
Wolfstar
Harry/Luna
Harry/any male weasley but Ron
...yeah. In fact, the only things I completely avoid now involve Snape, Hagrid, or Dumbles.

As for topping, I don't have much of a preference. It depends on how the story has established it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:54 am
God know I've become less picky, I've been reading Rorry, Nev/Harry, Lucius/Harry, someones trying to get me into LV/Harry, I'm reading Ginny/Hermione (I used to be very strict with my fem slash) the only things that are a big no go are Hagrid fic and ******** (my name for Dumbledore really don't like him) fics

LittleCazzy

4,000 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:11 am
If I become any less picky, I may end up literally slashing anything.

Right now I'm just left with either canon I really really just can not stand, OR pairing I find ridiculously boring (Neville/Luna, for example, bores me to tears)

But I'm pretty much over all (all) of my squicks.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:06 pm
I'm not as picky as I used to be, I'll admit it. But Harry and Draco are still my OTP. As long as they're together in the end, it doesn't bother me as much who they start out with. Which is a huge difference from my thoughts on the subject three years ago.

And with other characters, well, same deal mostly. As long as it's a good story, I don't see why I shouldn't read it just because of who whe writer has getting together.  

Ms.Tofu

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:59 am
Ms.Tofu
I'm not as picky as I used to be, I'll admit it. But Harry and Draco are still my OTP. As long as they're together in the end, it doesn't bother me as much who they start out with. Which is a huge difference from my thoughts on the subject three years ago.

And with other characters, well, same deal mostly. As long as it's a good story, I don't see why I shouldn't read it just because of who whe writer has getting together.

Drarry is pretty much super awesome sauce. Gotta admit that.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:58 pm
[Ren The Ryoko]
Ms.Tofu

Drarry is pretty much super awesome sauce. Gotta admit that.

Indisputable! Never ever would ?I say otherwise. Ever. biggrin  

Ms.Tofu

Lady Psychic

Sparkly Genius

9,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:44 pm
Yeah, it used to be that the only HP slash pairings I would read were Snarry and Drarry. I have now branched out and read other pairings that I used to be hesitant about (such as Snupin, Lucius/Harry and LV/Harry, among others). I also used to not like m-preg, but then I read I really good m-preg story and now I love m-preg. There was also a time in which I was picky about who would top. For example, I used to only read Snarries where Snape would top. However, one day I read a really good bottom!Snape story and now I don't care who tops or bottoms anymore.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:55 pm
I'm back and forth. In some ways, I'm less picky. I read a pretty wide RANGE of things.
But in other ways, I've gotten far MORE picky. Things and pairings that violate my head canon are an instant turn off for me.  

[Ren The Ryoko]
Crew

7,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
HPSG Head Quarters

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items