Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
I'm bringing my mom to a convention!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sadistic Rainbows

1,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:58 pm
I'm only 13, so it's kind of a given.
Are there certain do's and don'ts that you guys would recommend?

EDIT: Inochicon, fyi . ^^

EDIT2: My mom is not a very religious, or very strict person.
Thanks goodness!
But she won't allow REALLY suggestive things [pushing the envelope with pg-13 and 'R' things]
My 11 year old sister is tagging along to cosplay, too!
I also have three other friends my age coming. <3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:20 pm
Good luck.
My mom came with me to a convention and it was a nightmare. >.<
Needless to say, she was out of her comfort zone, but I tried to walk her though it as best I could.

I don't know which convention you're going to, but remind her that most cons have lots of security. Warn her before the convention that everybody is taking pictures. She may not feel comfortable with people taking your picture so this is something the two of you should discuss. You know your mom better than any of us, so you may or may not want to warn her as well about some of the other things commonly found at cons that may make her feel uncomfortable:
  • hugs and glomping - let your mom know that con-goers are very huggy people (for some reason, my mom thought hugging strangers was very unusual)
  • crossplaying - some parents are very disturbed by seeing girls dressed as guys and guys dressed as girls
  • people dressed in very revealing outfits
  • sexual behaviour (yaoi paddles, people being led on leashes, etc)
  • signs - some signs can say some pretty weird things that might make some moms feel like going to the police
  • yaoi/yuri - many parents may be made uncomfortable by the sight of guys or girls making out in public
  • swearing - people at cons swear; many parents are still convinced that even at the age of 13, they still need to shelter their child from words they probably hear at school every day

PandaTeddy

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:57 pm
OH, lords I can't imagine going 2 a Con with 1 of my parents. But I also know that some cons have designated areas where parents get 2 "kick it". Also u might be limited 2 what u d only because a parent is present, they probably don't understand many things that go on or will feel weird with some of the things.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:55 pm
It really depends on the parent. I mean, a lot of my friends' parents are so neurotic that if they knew their kid was in the same room as people who are allowed to use the word "yaoi" at home, they'd smack the crap out of them and they'd never get to go to another con. Some parents seem to think that cosplay is a bizarre sex fetish and freak out...

I took my mom to my first con when I was fourteen. Even though she thought that some of the stuff was creepy (ie, dolls in strollers), and thought the yaoi was a little much... she thought it was cool that there was so much creativity and that people who tend to be seen as nerds by other kids had a place to meet friends and hang out and have fun, so she just rolled with it. She even bought a crap-ton of art. So I'd point out those kinds of things if she's open-minded about stuff. ^^  

Phoenix Form

Tipsy Friend

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Popular Thread 100

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 am
PandaTeddy
Good luck.

I don't know which convention you're going to, but remind her that most cons have lots of security. Warn her before the convention that everybody is taking pictures. She may not feel comfortable with people taking your picture so this is something the two of you should discuss. You know your mom better than any of us, so you may or may not want to warn her as well about some of the other things commonly found at cons that may make her feel uncomfortable:
  • hugs and glomping - let your mom know that con-goers are very huggy people (for some reason, my mom thought hugging strangers was very unusual)
  • crossplaying - some parents are very disturbed by seeing girls dressed as guys and guys dressed as girls
  • people dressed in very revealing outfits
  • sexual behaviour (yaoi paddles, people being led on leashes, etc)
  • signs - some signs can say some pretty weird things that might make some moms feel like going to the police
  • yaoi/yuri - many parents may be made uncomfortable by the sight of guys or girls making out in public
  • swearing - people at cons swear; many parents are still convinced that even at the age of 13, they still need to shelter their child from words they probably hear at school every day

This is definitely some good advice to follow, I would make note of it for sure!

I have never brought my mother into a convention per-say, but she has seen parts of one when she picked me up from it one time. Anime is not my mom's cup of tea, so she's not big on backing me when I go to conventions. However I am lucky that she stays out of it for the most part. I don't think my mother would be too keen on some of the things that can happen at a convention. Such as the yaoi and the people who think it's okay to take sexually suggestive photos. Those two things right there go strictly against her beliefs since she is Christian and all. Since I am an adult now though, she mostly stays out of my affairs, and luckily doesn't make as many comments as she used to about my choices to attend and dress up for such events.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:57 am
@Hoshi no Miko : My mom is Christian woman as well, but she's more like one of those super-religious stereo-typical woman. >.< (lol, at her first convention she kept telling my friend's mom: "This is a sign from God! He has used this a warning for us to protect our children against these kinds of people!" XD)
She's still convinced that I need to be protected from these kinds of things... even though I'm graduating high school in a few months. After what she saw at her first convention, I'll be lucky if she ever lets me go to another one before I leave home. I'm just happy that soon enough I won't have to worry about her tagging along 'cause I'll finally be on my own.

Oh, and my mom is also that convinced that con-goers are nazis. XD

PandaTeddy

Rishiki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:41 am
Well, it all depends on your mother's point of view. My mom has attended two cons with me before. Her point of view was an accepting one. She's not into anime/manga but she does love pokemon (it's how I got into it). Although, like PandaTeddy said, there may be things you need to warn her of.

I'm not sure how my mom feels about Yaoi/Yuri but at one con, we went to a Host Club event (they served tea and snacks). When Hikaru and Kaoru were about to kiss, I put my hands in front of her eyes and told them not in front of my mom. Everyone had a great laugh.

But PandaTeddy is right in telling you to warn her. I can't think of anything else to warn her about.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:27 pm
One more thing I thought of: let your mom know that many people there will be carrying prop weapons. Remind her that these are toys, props, and completely fake - most are even made of cardboard and other similar materials. Cons have weapons checks that each weapon must go through before being allowed into the con to ensure they are safe.

PandaTeddy

chobits_chii123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:14 pm
Oh dear.
If I would've brought my mom to a convention, she woulda taken me home after standing in line for ten minutes. gonk
Then again, my mom's strict (and old) and believes that all anime is hentai-related. "But MO-OM, you have to draw the figure before you draw the clothes on it or it turns out bad! What about Greek culture?" "Mom, calm down, it's just a kiss - what about all the soap operas you watch?" Doesn't work with her. =_=;;
I suppose your mom's reactions will depend on her own viewpoints, but like the others have said there are always those things to warn her of so she doesn't immediately freak out. You might want to also include something along the lines of there being too much crazy stuff at cons to name off, so if she sees something questionable that you didn't mention there won't be a problem. :/  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:04 pm
I took my mom to my first con 2 years ago and at first she was like, "this is stupid! Everyone looks like little kids on halloween!" But by the end of it, she had gone to a sword demonstration and she had observed tons of people and gone to the dealers room with me (and she bought something! surprised ). When we left, she said "well, those are definitely your kinda people..." I guess she never thought there were people weirder than me. sweatdrop I didn't cosplay that time, and I missed last years con, but this year I'm hoping to cosplay cuz I has a job now!! xd  

xSexyWafflesx

Shy Lover

9,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

7dancer10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:14 pm
I went to AX last year with my friends and their mom....it wasn't bad though 'cuz she just hung out in front of the Starbucks and took pictures of "them crazy cosplayers" (her words, not mine) but I suggest you fully explain to her the different kinds of anime (yaoi &yuri mainly) just in case she doesn't see an example of such & go 0_o omg wtf ___(insert name here)! what the heck is this crap?!  
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games