Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply -------- Cosplayers
American animation cosplay? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pearlescent Priestess

Bashful Healer

18,200 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Battle: Cleric 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:54 am
What are your views on cosplays of an american cartoon? Do you think it should still be considered cosplay? Would you like to do one in the future? If so, which character?

(Sorry if this is a repost. Please link me to the original and delete this.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:58 am
I still consider them cosplay...
As it is a costume and you are playing around as the character.

I dunno who I would want to cosplay though...

ll dell Orso ll

Tipsy Gawker

Saint of Swords _SoS

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:14 pm
You can cosplay anything from anime, manga, games to cartoons, scifi, fantasy, movies,comics etc.
Although the japanese 'invented' the term cosplay and made it popular, the actual idea of dressing up as a fictional character was born in america. (i'm european btw cause saying stuff like this makes tards go 'zomg you're just saying that cause your american blabla')

I once cosplayed spiderman (comic/cartoon) and italian spiderman (internet series, check youtube).  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:40 pm
I agree with Charm. I would so do Wonderwoman when I am older and sexier! And watch all the boys drool over me! ^0^ twisted  

Ralyle

Shirtless Hunter

7,700 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

PandaTeddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:16 pm
It's definitely considered cosplay. Especially since cosplay originated in America.

It's not a cartoon, but I have cosplayed as Trinity from The Matrix before. I would like to cosplay as the Disney Peter Pan or one of the lost boys in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:34 pm
The term Cosplay I think works for any character because it just means "costume play".

I personally really enjoy seeing American cartoons. Because a lot of them are from shows I really like. :3

@pandateddy
I really want to cosplay one of the lost boys as well. ;A;  

burgawinosourus

Toothsome Phantom

Skiota

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:37 pm
Cosplay isn't really a Japanese term; since it just means 'costume roleplay'.

Or take for example shows that aired on Nickelodeon like "Avatar The Last Airbender" which take themes from Japanese and Indian culture and combine it with Korean animation teams to air on American television.

I've always wanted to cosplay someone from A:TLA emo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:42 pm
Cosplay literally means "costume roleplay" as said before.
So dressing up as a character from basically anything is considered cosplay in my opinion.

I've actually cosplayed as Timmy Turner from Fairly Odd Parents before. xD
Plus I'm about to do an Avatar: The Last Airbender and Code Name Kids Next Door cosplay.

Little_Bearer_Of_Darkness

Glacirus

5,500 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:59 pm
it's cosplay...but doesn't mean it's always gonna fit in.

Example: NYAF 2009: Guy in a chicken suit running around with a boombox blaring random songs with a spiderman running around behind him. it's specifically an ANIME convention. Spiderman is not an anime in my book (yet...could happen and if it does I will retract that part of this statement) and there's no way in HELL a random yellow chicken with a boombox is anime, and if you can prove me wrong, please do so! *sage nod*  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:14 pm
And every time you ask him for another vanishing act,
he half smiles as if to say...

I think it's perfectly acceptable to cosplay as someone from an American cartoon since, as many people have pointed out, it still follows the traditionally accepted definition of the term.

Personally, I have plans to cosplay Velma from Scooby Doo. XD Too many people have already told me I look like her anyhow.

..."Whatever you want,
whatever you want,
whatever you want is fine by me."

Stegsie

Tiny Friend

12,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Timid 100

Pearlescent Priestess

Bashful Healer

18,200 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Battle: Cleric 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:56 am
Awesome~ Just wondering what everyone else thought of it. ^-^  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:05 pm
i say that it would still be cosplay....if i were to do one,i would go with a classic cartoon like old disney(mickey,minnie etc.) the LoonyToons, or the Animaniacs...can't go wrong with the classics wink  

7dancer10

Naveh

700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:08 am
I like them, if conventions were going to have strict rules of how you were going to dress up as it wouldn't be fun. Some fans are just pains when it comes to "their" fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:50 pm
Yeah, kinda going off of the above comment, it's not like cons don't allow the cosplays or whatever, but I know that quite a few cons won't allow Western animation cosplays into Cosplay Competitions. Sucks for those who put time/money/effort into those cosplays, but then again I can understand not allowing Western influences into the competition since we don't need 2o different Jack Sparrows trying to enter, or Waldo, or whoever like that.

But for this year's NYAF, I have a whole group of us cosplaying from Teen Titans (we have a Star Fire, Beast Boy, Robin, Cyborg, Black Fire {I think that's her name? Star Fire's sis}, and maybe a Raven) and I'm going as Jinx :'3

salsaplant

GO

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:15 pm
salsababy2889
Yeah, kinda going off of the above comment, it's not like cons don't allow the cosplays or whatever, but I know that quite a few cons won't allow Western animation cosplays into Cosplay Competitions. Sucks for those who put time/money/effort into those cosplays, but then again I can understand not allowing Western influences into the competition since we don't need 2o different Jack Sparrows trying to enter, or Waldo, or whoever like that.

But for this year's NYAF, I have a whole group of us cosplaying from Teen Titans (we have a Star Fire, Beast Boy, Robin, Cyborg, Black Fire {I think that's her name? Star Fire's sis}, and maybe a Raven) and I'm going as Jinx :'3
That does suck ppl should not be limited 2 what they can cosplay, but then again I do understand where they are coming from since most cons want 2 stay Japan oriented. My friend is planning on making a Gamestop bunny cosplay.  
-------- Cosplayers

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff