Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Ideas & Suggestions
Looking for a challenge! Costume ideas!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sephiroths samurai girl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:10 pm
Posted in the suggestion thread but I thought I'd make my own thread also as this could take some time lol! X3

I'm planning my costumes for next year already and I'm fully stumped on what to do for my main project and have looked through everything I can think of. It'll be my main competition piece for the year so I'm looking for something extremely elaborate and impressive. It's probably easier to list what I'm looking for in a costume and then some details about myself.

Costume requirements:
Impressive, highly detailed, nothing mainstream or overly done, preferably a full length dress or full skirt and fitted top, something to suit an hourglass so nothing overly baggy, would prefer hats or headpieces but wigs are fine too, no big armour I'm more skilled with fabric based costumes really but hats are fine, includes multiple techniques (gradient dyeing, bead work, applique etc).

About me:
Age 21, 5'5", female, 43-32-43. I can handle pretty much anything fabric based but I'm not too good with large bits of armour and they're also a sod to transport. ><

I'm stuck for next year mainly because of what I've done this year and am struggling to find something better and more challenging. This year was Ectvarr from Ninety-Nine Nights:
http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/costume/view/19149
It had multiple techniques, big hat and collar, gradient dyeing, applique, fabric dyeing, beadwork, bias etc so I'm looking for something with this kind of difficulty if not higher. ><

No crossplay please or anything skimpy. Hopefully you'll have more luck finding something than I have! XD
Thanks! <3  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:33 pm
I went on a little hunt for you. n.n Here's a small list of what I came up with from the anime/manga I'm familiar with:

Mint Adnade from Tales of Phantasia
Sakura from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (Artbook1)
Sakura from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (Artbook2 - the one in pink)
Yuuko Ichihara from xxxHolic (Artbook)
Ashura from RG Veda

As you can see, I'm a fan of CLAMP. If the image links don't work, try searching their names. I hope this helps!

timelessGodhead

6,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Carnelia_Break

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:04 am
I am not entirely sure if this is what you'tr looking for, but I'm trying to help. biggrin

Suigintou from Rozen Maiden
Kirakishou from Rozen Maiden
Barasuishou from Rozen Maiden (or any of the other Rozen Maiden)
CC or Lolita CC from Code Geass
Kallen from Code Geass
Karin from Kamichama Karin Chu
Luka Megurine - VOCALOID
Miku Hatsune - VOCALOID (or any of the other VOCALOIDs)
Mio (where she's in her white outfit) - D.N. Angel
Cossette - Le Potrait de Petit Cossete (Cossette no Shouzou)
Alice - Pandora Hearts
Chii or Freya - Chobits
Eruruu or Aruruu - Utawarerumuno
Karura or Kamyu -Utawarerumuno

I hoped this helped.

And by the way, you could make your own character too. You should be able to find all the characters on this list easily. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:23 am
Someone from CLAMP would be great, they always make such incredible dresses. I suggest Yuko, from XXX-holic, or one of Chii or Freya's really fancy dresses, from Chobits.  

Eijay

5,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Sephiroths samurai girl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:32 am
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! <3
CLAMP is definitely an idea, I've got a couple of their artbooks but I've not found anything overly elaborate yet, I'll definitely look at some of the later Holic and Tsubasa artwork though and see if there's anything good there. Ashura would be really good but I don't want to bind as it's rather difficult to get a good binder at my cup size. XP

I was considering Amila from Magna Carta but I'm not sure if it's good enough as there's not a great deal to it. (Competition is pretty high here at the big events so it's difficult to find a good costume to top the other entries) ><

Annoyingly original characters aren't an option as they're not allowed in most competitions here.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:53 am
-Dinah's Plague Dress from Bizenghast (not overly done)
- Most of the outfits from Code Geass  

Ladydaydream

MisaMaiValentine

7,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 am
Something that comes to mind for me when the word "elaborate" is thrown around is Lulu from FFX. That is if you don't mind working with Leather.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
It's a very difficult costume to make (no doubt it would be expensive...that's the only reason I hesitate in suggesting it) and requires embroidery, some beading, corset making (which is very difficult in my opinion), working with fur, and props if you make your own stockings. Leg does show but it's not really skimpy.

Another suggestion I can offer is the main character from Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Her costume looks simple enough but it would be fantastic to get all the details in from the original manga. In that sense it's an elaborate costume. The skirt is a bit short and if that's not something you're comfortable cosplaying I understand but I thought I would suggest it.

My final suggestion would be (a very minor character) Van's mother form Escaflowne. Mostly a challenge I think because of the wings. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
making realistic wings could actually be a fun challenge for you because, from what I have read, it's not something you're experienced in. Also the costume itself requires a great amount of detail. Finding a good picture may be difficult but if you watch the clip you'll find good enough references.

I hope this helped! Sorry it's only three. I keep going back to characters with armor which you said no to.  
Cosplay Ideas & Suggestions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games