Welcome to Gaia! ::

Harry Potter Slash Guild

Back to Guilds

HPSG is a guild for the discussion and pure love of all things Harry Potter and slash! Join us in support of your favorite pairing! 

Tags: Harry Potter, slash, Potter, femslash, Harry 

Reply HPSG Head Quarters
canon or fic? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

fanfic or canon?
  fanfic ^_^
  canon -.- (can you tell i'm biased? XD)
View Results

jaded1004

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:29 pm
to be honest i don't like rowling much sweatdrop i've never liked her at all.. i think she's extremely overrated... but!!! i've read all her books because...

i heart hp slash!

i don't read slash after i read the canon, i read the books BECAUSE of the slash i really think there are so many fanfic writers that're much more talented than rowling -.- we should let them finish the series xd

but yeah! i hate what they've done to draco i like stoic draco not whiny prissy mess draco -.- and i absolutely hate harry x ginny ;_; *cries* in my eyes harry will only have 1 true love (which is draco)

so what does everyone think? are the original books better than the slash? if you had to pick one, which would it be?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:33 pm
I agree. I like the first 5 books but after the bad 6th book, I prefer fanfics. I don't read lousy fanfiction though. If I write a character deviating from their established personality (first 5 books) I give a serious reason. I also don't think I will read book 7 because 1) the series will be ending and I would rather that no bookends be placed on sections of fanon and 2) I fear that it will be as badly written as HBP.  

Kilted

Subliminal Effect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:44 pm
Yes but.... it was totally awsome (lyke, rly~!) when Draco smashed Harrys face in.
xD
The one part of her books I liked the best.

I've seen some very talented fic writers and I have to agree, after reading the normal fiction novels I read, if I read the HP books after, I see them how she wrote them - Kind of like a chlids book.
HP/DM (b^ ^)b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:05 am
During the long wait after GOF came out I read lots of Fifth Year fics.

When OoTP came out I sat down and read it in like, a day, and I picked it up at a midnight event. I enjoyed OoTP but kept thinking:

"Yeah, it's Ok, but wait until Book five comes out!" stare And then realising it WAS Book five. sweatdrop

I got about four chapters into Book Six before giving up in disgust. I'll stick with fanfics.

As for not knowing the canon? Well, I'm ahead of all those who've only seen the movies, and I'll just do what I do with every other fandom I haven't seen completely (although, in most cases its cause I just got into a fandom about 2 years behind everyone else sweatdrop ) Roll with the punches.  

Honorelle

kimika56

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:28 am
I like the fanfics a lot more than the actual books, I mean, I like the writing, but only until the 4th book. After that, it went downhill from there. I'll write my fanfics and read others instead of the other books many times over again. My personal fave slash pairing?

Harry Potter/Draco Malfoy

or Severus Snape and Remus Lupin.

biggrin Don't ask. I love these to death, and currently working on a HP/DM right now.... the name is called Unknown Secrets.

52,000 words for 12 chapters and I'm only about 1/3 of the way though the story. It's going to take me forever to finish it huh?

sweatdrop Ok, I'm rambling again.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:40 am
veneficusoccultus
I agree. I like the first 5 books but after the bad 6th book, I prefer fanfics...
I agree  

[.BeautifulxMania.]

Dracavia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:12 pm
I only started to get really into fanfictions in the time between OotP and HBP,and when HBP came out,reading it just felt weird because I had started to accept the fanfictions as canon in my head.After that I pretty much stick to fanfiction,but not ones where the characters are too OOC.I also agree that HBP was pretty bad compared to all the other books,and there are fic writers who are much more talented.

And yay for HP/DM heart  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:19 am
I am prepared to full accepted Samvimes version of Harry Potter over all other version due to Draco not being a mindless little Daddy's boy, Harry not being a OMG!!11UISEVEL Dumbledore lover, Sirius not being a Prisoner of Azkaban, and Remus not being all alone. *huggles Stealing Harry, Stories from the River House, and Laocoon's Children* Can they be canon Mommy? Can they?  

Ex-Professor Remus Lupin

jaded1004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:17 pm
[.Tonks.Does.Pink.]
veneficusoccultus
I agree. I like the first 5 books but after the bad 6th book, I prefer fanfics...
I agree

actually i'll have to disagree with ya'll on that one XD;;;

i thought the first 2 books were the absolute worst!... actually *think* i didn't like any of them, only the 3rd and 4th books...

first 2= they were almost the same thing! most innocent minor character ever becomes the bad guy -.- wtf
3rd one= SIRIUS! heart heart heart
4th book= pretty intense i really liked it

*spoiler*

5th book- HOW COULD SHE KILL OFF MY SIRIUS?!?! WHY?!?!? WHY!!!?!?! HE WAS MY FAV CHAR!!! but aside from that i thought harry was being a completely whiny unbearable git and i wish he'd just keel over and die -.-
6th- harry's less of a git and more lovable XD;; but everyone else (especially ginny) is annoying >: how dare she try to steal harry away from draco?!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:51 pm
actually i'll have to disagree with ya'll on that one XD;;;

i thought the first 2 books were the absolute worst!... actually *think* i didn't like any of them, only the 3rd and 4th books...

3rd one= SIRIUS! heart heart heart
4th book= pretty intense i really liked it

*spoiler*

5th book- HOW COULD SHE KILL OFF MY SIRIUS?!?! WHY?!?!? WHY!!!?!?! HE WAS MY FAV CHAR!!! but aside from that i thought harry was being a completely whiny unbearable git and i wish he'd just keel over and die -.-
6th- harry's less of a git and more lovable XD;; but everyone else (especially ginny) is annoying >: how dare she try to steal harry away from draco?!

H/D slash! I love it to death. I have a tendency to agree with you on the whole 1&2 sucked, but I still like to read them. I've just read them so many times that I can skip over the parts that I'm not fond of. Like in the 5th and 6th books, I read basically until the last few chapters and then I stop. Kind of a tendency after 2 of my fave characters are killed off. SO yeah, I agree in some ways.  

kimika56

Stacey Q

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:25 pm
I don't really like JK either (her ideas & characters yes, her writing, no), so I just stopped reading her books and just started watching the movies (which are hells of a lot better to me). I'm just going to stick to my slash, it is my guide to surviving my thoughts and imagination while I'm inside the movies theater. And the writing is so much better.

Harry doesn't like Ginny because I will shank JK with a spoon if she says anything else about it. Harry loves Draco. Draco is a man-whore. Everyone knows! Why does JK have to hide Harry and Draco sexuality?! DX

...Draco is so secking Harry while going behind his back with Ron. Then with me. XP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:43 pm
I'm really into fanfiction. Especially after the last book. It seemed almost like a poorly written fanfiction to me. Anyways, there are some fanfic writers that make me wonder why they don't write a book of their own. xd xp >  

Lafaera

CosmicMoon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:22 pm
I like the slash. More than anything. I don't really like any of the characters that JK pairs up... and some deaths... *cough* sirius *cough* seemed... almost useless... unless *twinkling glimmer of hope* you know... JK seems to a lot of things for a reason. Right? *smack in the head* been in that mind too long. gonk

Getting back to the point, I never really liked Harry Potter too much. Ooh there were shocking endings... but never really much into.. it took a fan-made doujinshi to get me into them. So yeah, I'd have to say I prefer a well-made fanfic over the real thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:48 am
Fanfiction, to be honest. Half Blood Prince dissapointed me terribly.

And I'm a big fan of the shoebox_project. Gotta love it. whee

hikaridonya

kimika56

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:18 pm
hikaridonya
Fanfiction, to be honest. Half Blood Prince dissapointed me terribly.

And I'm a big fan of the shoebox_project. Gotta love it. whee

shoebox project? What's that?  
HPSG Head Quarters

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas