Useful Links for Readers and Writers

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:22 pm
I have found myself referencing others to sources often, and as such, have been impelled to make a terse list of several of my favorite, and the most useful websites.

If anyone wishes to contribute any sites, feel free to do so. Please include a short description of why they are useful, however.

Project Gutenberg
A catalogue of works available within the public domain (free, legally), available for download in several formats, including .txt and HTML.

The Oxford English Dictionary
If one has access through their university or other subscription, take advantage of this resource for the definition of archaic words.

Purdue OWL's Writing Rules
The search bar is most useful for finding help with grammar. This guide will aid with most, if not all, grammatical concerns.

Pudue OWL's Citation Rules
A guide for correctly citing works in the MLA, APA, or Chicago styles.

The Free Dictionary
Easily accessible dictionay, with references to terms in other milieues than the denotation.

Merriam-Webster
One does not often go wrong with M-W, although some definitions are not as comprehensive as may be desired.

Open Office
A legally free word processing program, comparable to Word. The Suite includes a similar package as Microsoft Office.

Wikipedia
Not officially a credible or reliable source, but it offers links to better sites or journals.

JSTOR
Again, if your university has a subscription, utilize this site. JSTOR hosts scholarly journals and reviews, most of which are relevant to English majors, thus, also to writers.

Type With Me
A collaborative writing tool, notable for having not only a real-time (minus server lag) word processor, but also has a real-time chat bar. Be wary with the "save" function, however. It is not always reliable, so it I suggest that work be saved to disk relatively often.

The Modern Library
This site hosts lists of good novels, categorized in many ways.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:27 am
♭♮♯
Sleeping wonder lies to me, and the lies are sweet.

Baby Names
I use this site to name all my characters. You can find popular names, and names with meanings for specific characters.

♩♪♫♬
Music is sung with simple words, and simple words can save the world.

♯♮♭

anticupid16

Desirable Elocutionist

Readers' and Writers' Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas