Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
First FPS Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bio Shock?
  Big Daddy
  Little Sister
  Big Sister
  Splicer
View Results

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:51 pm
So this past weekend i started playing my very first, first person shooter, Bio-shock >.<. I started playing it because my boyfriend has been playing the second one, and i loved watching him play the first one, the plot was so great (i would say 'nice' but i don't thing that that really fits). Because i wasn't at his house all the time he was playing the first one i missed big parts of the plot, and i wanted to try and play it myself to get the story.

I'm having a lot of fun, and i'm getting rather good at it, even though it's on easy mood sad . But i normally play turn based RPGs so i think it's ok to play on easy.

I can't wait til my boyfriend gets the special edition of Bioshock 2 he order, it has an art book and propaganda posters in it, and i want to see them. >.< I love the Bio shock style.

So This is a little bit of a random topic, really i just want to talk Video games.

Discuss:
Your First FPS
Your Favorite FPS
Bio-shock 1 and 2
My big sister avatar  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:01 pm
Fallout 3 and Borderlands are the best in terms of FPS. But the best ever first person game? Oblivion.  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:05 pm
I'm not sure what FPS's I've played. I think I mostly just play them for like an hour or so and then stop. My brother likes both FPS and RPGs. I usually stick to RPGs if I play games at all.

I know I played like Half Life and s**t briefly but I couldn't get the controls down on the PC.  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:33 pm
Top 5 FPS "Series"

Half-Life
Painkiller
Anything on the "id Tech1 Engine"
Anything on the "Build Engine."
Serious Sam

I heard that Deus Ex and Red Faction are pretty kickin'. If you can get System Shock 2 and the Thief series are great if you can them working, also try the Vampire: The Masquerade series.

If these FPSs aren't your style; try 3rd Person Shooters like Earth Defense Force 2017, or maybe even Earth Defense Force 2017.  

Supar Ingimon

Toxic Fatcat

Wheezey

Alien Abductee

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:47 pm
My first FPS? The first Doom (demo version, remember those?). I may have also played Wolfenstien. Ahhh, and my introduction to pixel-boobies was thanks to Duke Nukem ;D  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:06 pm
Can't really recall my first time playing a FPS... I'd assume it was Doom, Wolfenstien or Duke Nukem. Then I'd play some Call of Duty's.

I use not to care for first person stuff in general but they have definatly gotten alot better compared to what they use to be.  

wo_nyrmo

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:13 pm
Does Galaga count as an FPS?

...otherwise, the closest I've come is Dirge of Cerberus. There was a gun involved, and... and stuff. I've put the occasional quarter into Time Cops, CarnEvil, and Area 51 at the arcades, too. I'm just no good with lively, active games, so I rarely play them. Even the new generation of RPGs kick my a** pretty badly! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:25 am
My first experience with FPS was watching Wolfenstein on a computer. I didn't play a FPS until Killzone on my PS2.

But I play both a bunch of First Person Shooters like Halo 3, ODST, CoD: MW2 and Third Person Shooters, like Gears of War and Army of Two, that kind of thing.

Oh, and I love Mirror's Edge, and that counts as a FPS since you can use a gun, you just don't spawn with one.  

Sunday Morning Hangover

comfylove
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:43 am
I think the only first person shooter I've ever played is L4D for like... 20 minutes.

...if L4D is even a first person shooter, which idk if it is. I know it is a shooter game.  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:49 am
comfortably_dumb
I think the only first person shooter I've ever played is L4D for like... 20 minutes.

...if L4D is even a first person shooter, which idk if it is. I know it is a shooter game.
L4D is a FPS 3nodding

@Lychee - lolz Galaga xd
Thats an action game. 3nodding

@thread - more recently the only FPS's I've been playing is Call of Duty 4 and Unreal Tournament 3  

wo_nyrmo

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:14 am
so i beat it in the time i was away >.< i think the reason i really liked bioshock is the setting and time period sweatdrop . I'm going to play it again to get the evil ending and to get better at it, might play the second one too, i think there good games to start out with.  
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:14 am
I think my first FPS shooter was Duke Nuken: Land of the Babes. I think that was FPS. Will have to be my favourite too, since I mostly avoid FPS games.

I still have sulks about the confusion I faced when I booted up Team Fortress 2. Load and pitched right, forgot half of the buttons.

Though, if I can count Portal, that would be my favourite. You shoot portals, so technically your shooting. I'm rolling with that for an answer.  

Yaoinaut

7,700 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:48 pm
Portal is definitely still an FPS even though it is primarily puzzle based... you need some quick precision shooting to play that game especially the advanced maps.

I adore that game smile  
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:44 pm
Man, I feel so game deprived...the only time I've heard of half of these is from Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation reviews.

My first FPS was Ghost recon. I still remember it though i have moved on to Battlefield 1942.

My favorite...hmm, Halo is fun but I get bored quickly. Battlefield is fun but only because I can drive a tank. I think I'd need to play more of them to decide.

I prefer RPGs, with my favourite being Morrowind. I couldn't take oblivion seriously, lockpicking was a pain in my butt, it was a more confusing world in my opinion and once i discovered the duplicate glitch, and how to level up with a rubber band on my controller....it just wasn't challenging anymore.

I like Bioshock and I've never played it. I would love to, but I'd have to get the PC version, and then spare time to play it.

@ the avi....Hehee needles...Btw I think you made that item popular in the marketplace lol.  

epic failtastic

9,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:16 pm
I've played every FPS mentioned apart from a couple Omega Llemur mentioned.

Mirrors edge is brilliant... it's first person but it can't really be considered a shooter when you can complete the game without touching a gun razz

I never really liked Bioshock that much so haven't bothered to play the sequel yet. It got like 10/10 on loads of review sites and I just didn't think it was that great... nice setting... but any game where I can beat the final boss to death with just a wrench is a failure imo. You can kill big daddies with the wrench to >_>  
The Suites

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff