Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
So I'm a noob...?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Free
  Gold
View Results

lgtenos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:18 pm
So I was told I'm a noob because I only use three Pokemon, rather than the full-on six a trainer "should" have. And yet I beat the Elite Four with Pokemon of the same level, no faints, and using minimal items... Lol, Pokemon humor.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:30 pm
Guess that would make me a pokemon noob too (for the red, yellow, and blue games) cause I beat everything with basically one pokemon. Sure I had a full belt of pokemon but the first one out was greatly over leveled compared to the others.

Anywho, yea I'd hardly call anyone a noob cause of that. Really why would you need more then 3 if your going to be smart about it seeing how having 3 would cover the bases when it comes to str/weakness based on the elements. I mean sure you'll end up with a few times where the elements don't play part due to them not favoring either side but still doesn't matter.

Besides usually when it comes to pokemon games people are either going to use the more powerful pokemon purely cause of how great their stats are or their fav pokemon.

Really I don't think there is a way to be a noob when it comes to playing and beating pokemon games. xd

edit add in: really i think the only way to be noob is have a belt full of magikarp that only have splash  

wo_nyrmo

lgtenos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:45 pm
Exactly why I didn't look into the comments, lol. I actually have a strategy to using my Pokemon:

1) Two of the 3 are either Steel, Ground, or Rock type (or have a secondary), thereby making them immune to Sandstorm, which damages all Pokemon that are not of the 3 types mentioned each turn for 5 turns. My third Pokemon has Leftovers equipped, which offsets the loss of damage from Sandstorm. Also, 2 of 3 have Sandstorm on their moveset, so upkeep is easy.

2) Each Pokemon is specialized in some way. My starter (Forretress) is a hybrid Tank and Annoyer. His extremely high defenses, mixed in with Toxic, which causes exponential poison, and Spikes, which causes damage to any enemy Pokemon that switch out onto the battle, make Forretress a great beginning Pokemon. My Nidoqueen is my Special Sweeper, holding Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, and Ice Beam to cover the majority of elemental advantages. And my Blastoise is my Physical Sweeper, holding Skull Bash and Earthquake, just in case the enemy is defensive against special attacks.

3) I specifically chose Forretress, Nidoqueen, and Blastoise because they all have really high defenses. If one of them faints, I can send out another, Revive, and continue the battle with little to no issue.

Yeah, I give a lot of though into Pokemon.

EDIT: Actually, Forretress IS my favorite Pokemon, lol. But yes, I agree that it's indeed "noob"-ish to use Legendary or Pseudo-Legendary Pokemon simply for their high stats. And in regards to your Magikarp team: I honestly don't think that'd be considered "noob"; it'd be hella funny though, haha. In my opinion, "noob" is defined as someone who can't get passed the first gym leader.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:05 pm
I've beaten the games with a Starter, and two hm slaves (noncombatants). Fun having a level fifty when facing the fourth gym.  

iceryu66

Aged Hunter

6,150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

lgtenos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:13 pm
Lol, same, but I had [and still have] 3 HM Slaves. The only Pokemon from 2nd Generation that can use Fly and 3 other HMs is Lugia, which I haven't caught yet (damn you Crystal version).  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:36 pm
Do you EV train?  

comfylove
Crew

lgtenos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:21 pm
I do. They actually caught Pokerus, so that's a plus. I don't pay much attention to IVs though.

EDIT: Or DVs, whichever you want to call them. IVs and DVs are the same. Also, keep in mind that I play GSC, so Characteristics have no value.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:09 pm
Okay, that explains it, then. XD
OTHERWISEEE... I dunno how that'd be possible!  

comfylove
Crew

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:29 pm
Just do whatever works for you, hell I give HM's to my party Pokemon and use them in battle which is a big "no no" apparantly.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:47 pm
I just raise whatever pokemon I think look cool, or are really cute, & give them moves that look cool, or are really cute.  

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100

Light up the Night

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:50 pm
My boyfriend just went to a regional championship for pokemon a few days ago. XD
He's such a nerd.

I have a full team because I like to have pokemon. I can't chose only a few! XD  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:24 pm
Three's all you need, baby.  

Supar Ingimon

Toxic Fatcat

K i m z y

Cold Snowflake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:07 am
The word 'noob' is used too much.

You're hardly a noob anyway.

Ah! It makes me miss my Pokemon days when I had all the trading cards in a folder and I traded between friends. Good times! But sadly I'm over Pokemon. I'm no longer interested in it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:07 pm
Omega Llemur
Three's all you need, baby.
Haha, oh my god! I can't believe I didn't think of that, lolz. Epic win~  

lgtenos

shonji2_rin2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:41 am
i always use one pokemon and thats my highest level pokemon so u can call me a noob but u would be pwned  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games