Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Help?! ((Ideas, suggestions...))

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Please add a poll to every thread!
  Thanks.
View Results

Lov3-Dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:55 pm
I am fourteen years old, turning fifteen in August. I'm looking for volunteer work to put on my college applications in the furture. I want to major in Biology, Marine Biology, Zoology, something along those lines, so the volunteer work has to be animal related.

I live in a city called Bakersfield. The nearest zoo is about 30 minutes away- fantastic right? You'd think so. Except this zoo is incredibly small. I am going to give it a try. But I also need other work too.

Please don't suggest an ASPCA or Shelter, my cousin worked at one and she said it was sad. So any suggestions or ideas?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm
Well.

is there a state park near by?
o-o

Tus Ojos Oscuros..

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:17 pm
It's going to depend on what's in your area.
But there is always certain animal rescues or animal sanctuaries.

You can also look up any major animal organizations to see if they have locations near you and volunteer for them. It might not be working directly with animals though.

You could also see if you have any local farms or near by dog kennels.

Maybe volunteer at a vet office if you are really desperate.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:51 pm
Both are very good ideas that I'd love to do. You see Bakersfield is almost a million people, but there isn't one sanctuary or state park in my area. That's what sucks.  

Lov3-Dizzy

Jewlzeh

11,000 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Team Edward 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:19 pm
            i did volunteer work at a vet clinic and then at a dog refuge when i was 15, both of which i really enjoyed. not really sure if a dog refuge is any different to a shelter but i guess it was sad seeing so many wonderful dogs not have homes but at the same time i enjoyed spending all day with them razz

i dont see whats wrong with the zoo being incredibly small though, you might get more interaction with animals that way. how long are you volunteering for?

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games