Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Time periods in DnD

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:45 am
This is basically a thread to see what type of dnd world most people enjoy best.

You have your most know, the standard medieval style fantasy world, with swords and bows and magic. You also have some interesting things through unreal alchemy, such as thunderstones and alchemist fire. We'll call this the "Medieval Age Fantasy"

Next up, not as much used is a budding world. Armor is hides, weapons are stone, and magic is much more primal and in some cases more powerful. It is a world of great danger, and where even a fighter might have some innate magical aptitude, drawn from the complete wild chaos still about the foundling world.
This will be the "Pre-History Fantasy"

After that you have "Industrial Fantasy" in which gunpowder and muskets are about. Rifling and 'bullets' haven't been invented yet. These weapons are still rare and you're still much more likely to see a mage as heavy artillery than, well, artillery. Any guns or cannons are inaccurate, expensive, and very slow.

Now, that's basically what we get for fantasy, since D20 Modern pretty much sums up that whole aspect. However, I do know some people who have taken their DnD group from a nice medieval world and threw them into the next age for part of a campaign.

"FUTURE FANTASY"

This age is nearly unheard off, where all those science fiction things you love (or love to hate), can appear. Anything from lightsabers (laser swords), to energy rifles to teleporters and starships (don't forget the proton torpedoes). Normally only seen when something's gone wrong and the group is thrust hundreds of thousands (or millions) of years future bound, your magic may not work or you'll have to keep it on the down low for your own safety. Most of the time spent here is trying to deal with learning how to use the new technology while finding a way to get home.

Oh wait, there's one more age I completely forgot about.

"Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy"

For some reason your world has been nearly destroyed or at least civilization has. Either from some C'thulhu like horror, a giant magical nuke, or an evil overlord who found a way to gain so much power that the gods were forced to leave and seal the planet to it's fate, making a wall that blocked even souls from leaving.

While used in some homebrew stuff, more than likely if you're doing this, you're playing Dark Sun. That's the best example I can provide form a Post-Apoc Fantasy world.

---

So the question stands, which era do you enjoy playing in most, or perhaps different DnD systems have different eras you enjoy (ADnD 2e, 3.5, Pathfinder, 4e).

Post and let it be known. Who knows, we might get some DMs that get inspired.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:47 am
Guess I should start.

I don't really have a favorite, I've tried them all (aside from future), and found that they each have their own lovely quirks.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:51 am
I've got to say. I do like the standard and post apoc. But I've always been tempted to run a pre historic game. It sounds fun and I'd love to see how people adapted to it.

I guess I'd probaly end up playing another system for furture games. But I think I prefer my D&D to not be in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:34 am
I like doing stories that are started out medieval fantasy, but over the medium to long run I begin to introduce post-industrial statures and items as the intrigue of the story sets in more. Makes for an interesting transition for the players, that and it's fun to see players who make the change from bows to guns, arguing with the druids and rangers.  

Wolfe Whitehorn

Eloquent Elocutionist

10,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Citizen 200

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:55 am
Bronze Age. THIS IS SPARTA!!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:36 am
I like high fantasy - I like to think of it as "anime fantasy." I'm willing to have guns, even rifled guns with bullets, in a more standard fantasy setting, where magic is also a form of technology. I'm okay with the world being populated primarily by low level characters, but that magic is relatively widespread, rather than it just being medieval Europe with a few walking WMDs traipsing about.  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:03 pm
Disciple of Sakura
I like high fantasy - I like to think of it as "anime fantasy." I'm willing to have guns, even rifled guns with bullets, in a more standard fantasy setting, where magic is also a form of technology. I'm okay with the world being populated primarily by low level characters, but that magic is relatively widespread, rather than it just being medieval Europe with a few walking WMDs traipsing about.

Like Final Fantasy, or the Tales series?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:05 pm
Well, in most D&D settings there are many who have magic, it's just at the DMs discretion whether or not this fact is brought to light constantly. There are always Clerics and Sorcerers, but they're not realistically the center of the story being told.  

Wolfe Whitehorn

Eloquent Elocutionist

10,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Citizen 200

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:23 pm
Your "Industrial Fantasy" describes a more Renaissance level of early firearms, which has often been used to describe pre-Spellplague visions of the Forgotten Realms.

Future Fantasy settings usually allow for a fusion of magic and tech (Dragonstar), or the equal but incompatible magic and tech(Shadowrun), which I find irritating. Typically the things technology is able to do in a high scifi of soft scifi setting are indistinguishable from magic, thank you Arthur C. Clarke.

Personally, I prefer Eberron's magitech setting.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:36 am
Eternality_Cannon
Disciple of Sakura

Like Final Fantasy, or the Tales series?

Yep. Final Fantasy games like FFIV or FFX - somewhere in the middle of those two. FFVIII, while one of my favorites, is too technologically advanced for me.  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Seiryna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:54 pm
Medieval Age Fantasy: For D&D, if I wanted guns and future stuff I'd play D20 Modern/future, or shadowrun XD plus I like swords/magic more anyways >< tho on a sidenote...my D&D char fits in to all 3 games lol so I always have a char XD  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:05 pm
Dungeon Master's perspective, I really like starting off with magi-technology (such as a boat that flies, or a beam-sword) and going progressively and regressively at the same time. I don't have my characters adventure on one material plane if I can help it; usually, these guys are starting off on one plane and continuing onto others, but the thing dies before I can get around to it. Heck, things just started getting juicy in my current campaign and nobody's posted in two days...  

Slave Xaccheus

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff