Book addict looking for a fix. Help please? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Queen Flutterby

Beloved Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:20 am
I really love to read and my favorite kind of books are mysteries and historical fictions. I have a few authors that I am addicted to such as Mary Higgins Clark, Agatha Christie, Jane Austen etc.
I really love the "Left Behind series" by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins too. A few weeks ago, I found this new book being advertised called "The Heretic's Daughter" by Kathleen Kent and I loved it! Now I am spoiled to find some new books similar to that one. The problem that I am having is that there is no current rating system for books that you can go by that will tell you if the book has objectionable language or content in it and sometimes I will start reading a book that I think is good and come to something like that and don't want to read it anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on some authors or books that might meet my criteria for a good read without any of the things I find objectionable? If I could go by a rating system, I guess I would be a "PG" or a "PG-13" (mostly "PG" since I hate potty-mouth books).... kind of reader. Any suggestions? Please?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:00 pm
GGG has a subforum entitled Movies TV Shows Books Comics. Looks like it's a little slow in there right now, but maybe you'll find some interesting reads in there. 3nodding  

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

Queen Flutterby

Beloved Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:11 pm
Okay, thx!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:18 pm
Usagi Yojimbo. Older stories are published in collected volumes. Don't try to tell me that comics are not real reading.  

Keisaku Hakurei

3,300 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Voter 0

katana68

Partying Conventioneer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:19 pm
Anything by Rick Riordan is great too. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:02 am
Okay, well I did some research on the above suggestions but neither really seems to suit me. I don't like anything even similar to Anime and I don't like fantasy books for the most part. I have tried reading both kinds but can't get into them. I really like books with "atmosphere". Mystery settings by the sea or old time "gothic" type of settings. Perhaps a bit corny for most but I really get into them. confused Thx for the suggestions though. whee  

Queen Flutterby

Beloved Seeker

Venuslady

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:21 am
Try the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:20 pm
Venuslady
Try the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. mrgreen

Thx!  

Queen Flutterby

Beloved Seeker

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:43 pm
Twilight.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:57 pm
I'm reading Count of Monte Cristo right now and I'm enjoying it.  

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

Queen Flutterby

Beloved Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:20 pm
I have thought about reading twilight but not sure if I am too old to be reading it. The Count of Monte Cristo on the other hand may be a good thing for me. I own the movie and I really like it but the movie and the book are often very different. I will look into both suggestions. Thanks so much!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:09 pm
I like Dean Koontz... but, even though his stuff hasn't been too good lately, Stephen King's new one, Under the Dome, it quite good.

Dean Koontz Odd Thomas books are good and the Frankenstein books are good too. Breathless is worth it...  

Lil-Jo
Crew

September Wolf

Wintry Dragon

21,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:55 am
I really like James McGee's Hawkwood series about a Bow Street Runner in Regency London. There is a bit of murder and violence in there, but it's not offensive to read and they are really well written and enjoyable.

Have you tired looking on Amazon, as they can provide recommendations based on what you enjoy?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:42 pm
I'll look into some of these too. Thanks guys!  

Queen Flutterby

Beloved Seeker

I Kryptik I

5,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:43 am
I don't suppose you read Stepen King do you? Cause I read this really great book recently by him.....it's called "Under the Dome"
It is really awesome work. Try it out some time.  
Movies TV Shows Books Comics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff