Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
This is gonna be good.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

ecopper12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:15 pm
User Image
Okay you guys. I am running a blog that I am thoroughly enjoying right now. It is called Internet Arcadia, and I write about internet news, review sites after spending at least a week on it, and giving theories. I need your to give me opinions of the blog, and suggest things to write about.

http://internetarcadia.blogspot.com/
User Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:40 pm
I'm sorry if this is in anyway mean, but I'm just going to be honest. XD

If this was a random blog I was reading, I probably would have closed the window once I read the Obama blog post.
First off, the article you referred to seemed to be biased to me and not really a reputable source. They mention maybe two or three people who believe in this bill, and then go on to say that "the government" wants to control the internet. Two or three extreme people does not make up a government. If the entire or majority of the government wanted this bill passed, guess what? It would be in the voting stages right now and be passed eventually. So, the wording of it really just made me think it was one of those types of "OMG. THE GOVERNMENT IS OUT TO CONTROL US" articles. My other problem with it is that you then took the information and kind of skewed it. You say that Obama wants this bill to pass, but the article never once mentions that the President backs this. The beliefs of one US senate member, Joe Lieberman, does not mean the President agrees. So, if you make such a statement, you need to back it up with research. Otherwise, you look biased in a blog that is about spreading factual information. Though, I guess you would draw in the irrational types of Obama haters.

Your review of Facebook seems to really only contain information a person could figure out on their own within 5 minutes of registering. Also, it's not all right. With a few clicks of my mouse, I can hide my age, location, interests, relationship status, wall posts, and more from anyone who is not my friend. Pretty much, the only thing that is left visible on my profile is my name (which is VERY easily faked if you don't want your real name out there. I mean, I have an account for Gaia friends named Paine Painsus. If that can get through, most things can.), my photo, and my sex which won't really get someone in trouble. Sure, you might get a creeper, but that's why you just reject them.
So, I guess if you want to talk about the issues of privacy in a way that everyone hasn't already heard a million times from safety commercials and parents and teachers and pretty much everyone, you could have researched into ways to hide that information and protect yourself against it so that people who like FB would actually be able to protect themselves.
Also, at one point you say, "You are being charged to speak with your friends. Money to see your friends." I've never been charged for talking to friends. I've been on FB since August, and I've never spent a penny on it. Spending money on FB for the games is silly, but to me, it's the same as spending money on Gaia. People do it for their own fun. XD
You also don't bother to review anything else even though they might up a big part of the site. The games, the features, the issues people have, the annoying people who friends every mutual friend they can find regardless of whether they know you, etc.
So, I guess overall, when you review sites, you might want to research them, go through all the account settings and FAQs, participate, etc so that you have a very good understanding of the sites. Otherwise, people won't bother to read your reviews because someone else will be more detailed.

Also, you might want to review less popular sites. Facebook is so popular that people who do reviews for a living have done articles about it. They have the resources and experience to make a much better review than you or I. To get people to read, you have to actually offer them something they might not get elsewhere more easily.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

ecopper12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:53 pm
I see...Pain, you make a very good point. I was looking for the original article, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, yeah. I'll try to do what you said in the future. Anyway, would it be worth the trouble to go back and edit?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:10 pm
So, the original article mentions what you talked about in your blog? O:

And it probably depends on how often you plan on posting. If you are going to do it every day or so, it probably won't matter. It's going to take a bit for any blog to pick up readers, so if you post a lot, by that time you are going to bury it anyway. So, most people will judge the blog on the more recent two or three blogs.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas