Reply 29. ✿ - - - School and Work
Your opinion: Point of Highschool?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

viper_353

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:51 pm
Haa, so I've had this argument with my parents and friends a couple of times. What do you think the main purpose is? In my opinion, it's mainly for the experiences. Highschool's a place where you learn to make friends, to deal with stress, to learn how you really WANT the rest of your life to look like. (Now I'm more one of those people who gets good marks without trying at all, so mine might be different than some)
And then there's the other viewpoint: Highschool's just about marks so you can get into university and have a good life.
So what do YOU think? What's the purpose to highschool, and where do your priorities lie?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:13 pm
Yeah I agree with you and I also think its a place where you learn life skills. Also how some people are in the real world.  

kckat_13

Kayami Naru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:27 am
Kaya says....

If you can't handle me at my worst....

In my personal opinion, high school is four extra years of school to finer tune what you want to do with your life and an excuse to keep you in the house until you're eighteen and seen by socioty as okay to live on your own. People always talk about high school being something to perpare you for the rest of your life, but in reality, high school is shielding you from the harsh out world that is getting a job, holding it, find and keeping a home, raising a family.

High school gives you the illusion that the real world isn't as harsh and scary as it is. But in truths, high school and real life are two completely different things. I'm not saying that school isn't important, because it is. It just isn't everything everyone says it is.

...Then you sure as HELL don't deserve me at my best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:30 am
My opinion is that it's preparation for college, which then prepares you to pursue the career of your choice. However, not everyone takes advantage of this, and some just use it to kill time.

Honestly, high school's purpose is what you make it for yourself. It's a tool that can be used for many different things, but what you choose to use it for is ultimately up to you.  

MiaIkumis#1Fan

Dapper Dabbler

7,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gaian 50
  • Beta Gaian 0

Lisiana

Newbie Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:51 am
I like to think that high school's just a chapter of life that's somewhere in between the real world and childhood; half of what's out there and half of what's in the comfort zone. It's the chapter that gives you a taste of what it's going to be like when you're older, and a little reminder that you're still a kid at heart until you have graduated.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:13 pm
I think that high school is about getting an education. This includes both the education that you get in the classroom and the one you get outside from the social aspect. I don't think marks are all that important unless you want to go to college, in which case their a means to an end.
But the whole thing is about learning. Ideally, it should set you up with a hunger for knowledge and a love of learning for the rest of your life. That doesn't happen to many people anymore though, I fear.

A note about the whole learning to make friends etc. thing though.
High school teaches you to make friends while you're in school. I had no problem making friends in high school. No problems at all making friends in college (even easier, because you're sort of separated by interest anyway!)
But friends in the real world? I have no freaking clue how I'm supposed to find those. People I work with? My boyfriend's friends' wives? Random person at the grocery store? Maintaining my relationships from school is no problem because they're all advanced enough that we're totally comfortable around each other. But I might meet someone fun in the frozen foods section of Miracle Mart, but never see them again. It's not like we have homeroom together or something.
I thought I was stressed in high school. Then I looked back at it and laughed when I got to college and was taking 21+ hours per semester (cause I'm just crazy like that?). It wasn't until after I graduated that I started having total stress-related panic attacks on a regular basis when I couldn't find a job, and then again when the job I finally found went south.
And what you want to do with your life... hah. Of my friends in high school... one of them stuck with their original plan. A lot of my college friends stayed pretty close, but I went into a very specialized program. A lot of them left that program to do other things as well though, deciding that the equine thing just wasn't working for them career wise, and that ponies are better hobbies than jobs.

I graduated Summa c** Laude over a year ago from college, and I'm STILL working out what I want to actually do with my life.  

AriaStarSong

Faebella

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:45 pm
I think high school is to get you ready for the real world.
Teach you how to deal with certain things that life might throw at you.
I learned a lot while I was in high school. In education and life.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:48 am
High school was made so that you can take college courses for $50 a pop.  

Tangerine_Monster

Vanna1994

Rainbow Hunter

30,075 Points
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Threadmaster 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:56 pm
A learning process for us probably
Making friends yes, occasionally meeting new people, dealing with problems and stress,
My other thoughts on high school, Chemistry is backwards, and highschool art is useless XP  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:51 pm
Brainwashes you into obeying authority.
Delude you into thinking everyone cares and wants you to do well.

Prepare you for college/thee working world.
Make friends, develop interests, and find yourself.
Manage time and punctuality.
Most importantly; how to have fun and interact with others.

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100

gas powered stick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:00 pm
Highschool is mainly for education. I highly doubt whomever came up with the idea of Highschool intended it for it to be mainly for your experiances. Sure, you experiance things you've never experianced, but, its intended to prepare you for the real world, and College.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:20 am
I've adopted old-school beliefs to this, and it's pretty much the only important thing at this point in my life:

High-school and graduating from it is the only thing that ensures that I have some kind of life.

Of course, college is way above high-school, but considering I'm still a senior... yeah.  

MightyWonderWoman

5,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

xViolet_Demisex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:33 am
I believe that highschool is a point of our lives with trials and tribulations, you make friends, you lose them, you have first loves, breaks up's, etc. I think it's a time to discover yourself and to learn new things. It makes you learn tough lessons sometimes and prepares you for the real world the "it's not all rainbows and unicorns" stuff you were fed in elementary school. As for the "figuring out what to do with your life" thing...I think it helps you get ready for that situation but for most kids it doesn't really make you figure it out, that could take years.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:04 pm
For me, high school was a proving ground, after failing. At the time I would have rather skipped most of it, but now Im glad to have survived it. Im glad to have graduated, it makes a diff in terms of jobs irl.  

kitti kat 28

6,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items