Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
FINALLY, some progress.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Free
  Gold
View Results

lgtenos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:10 pm
I was watching the news, and I smiled. There is finally some progress regarding the repeal of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy that is still enforced in the U.S. military. The Pentagon sent a 100+ questionaire to 400,000 servicemen/women, just to get a feel for what the troops want. There is some speculation from Gay Rights activitists; they believe that some answers are fishing for a coming-out statement, which could be used to discharge a serviceman/woman.

Here is the article I found after Google-ing the topic.

If you hadn't known, I am gay, but I am also in the U.S. Army. I've opened only to a select few people [for obvious reasons]. I'm confident the DADT policy will be repealed eventually, but researchers are expecting its removal as early as 2011, which would be amazing.

I'm so sick of lying about myself, so this is great news to me. Ironic too, since, as I've stated in other threads, I leave for boot camp tomorrow morning.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:32 pm
Eeee; well hopefully everything works out so you can be out in the open. =]

Since well.. it is a big part of your life.. kind of sucks to have ot keep it hidden away. >__>;

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:39 pm
I feel like those Gay Right activists might be a tad paranoid if they haven't even seen the survey themselves. Why would the military try to out a bunch of troops and have to discharge them when they are already probably hurting in numbers right now? But hopefully the survey doesn't ask any info about sexual orientation regardless, so everyone can answer. Otherwise, you might have a bunch of people who are against the repeal and not as many people who are for it sending the survey back in. o:

I think it would be great if DADT would be repealed, but I'm not sure if it's going to be next year. I believe even the HRC guy that came to our GSA and university on some DADT tour thingy said he didn't think it would be repealed next year.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:44 pm
Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be any time soon. I'd prefer to have it repealed by the time I get commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, but that's just wishful thinking. Hopefully the survey doesn't create any negative effects.  

lgtenos

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff