Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Memorable Threads Archive
This guild is misleading Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you agree?
Yes
16%
 16%  [ 12 ]
No
84%
 84%  [ 63 ]
Total Votes : 75

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:25 pm
This guild is supposed to be a place for gay and straight interact in a healthy way from my impression of the title. Yet the guild refuses to acknowledge the straight members of this guild. An alliance is a joining of more then one group of people and this guild draws that line at "gay" and straight. Yet straight people are denied a place to introduce themselves. "Gay, Bi, Trans? Tell us about yourself here" clearly discourages the straight members from introducing themselves. They are suppose to be part of this alliance too.

No where is this mental bias for the non-straight more apparent then the front page of the guild. There is no straight couple there for people too see. The point of this guild to welcome everyone who is an ally, and create more allies, for the gay movement. How is this possible when they are shunned and pushed out of the spot light in this way? Straight people can't feel welcomed when they are ignored so forcefully and deliberately denied acknowledgment of our participation in the alliance.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:27 pm
I could have sworn there was a straight couple on the banner on the homepage...
Edit: I just checked. There is. biggrin They're right in the middle.

I understand what you're saying, but I assure you, you're welcome here. ^^  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Mikael Satsuya

4,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:29 pm
hell yea! recognize the straights!! thats whats the gsa's about!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:30 pm
I don't see the straights as being ignored. I'm straight and when I posted in the intro thread, I was still greeted warmly.  

X_X - Hemlock - X_X

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:31 pm
The androgynous group of couples there clearly insinuate gay couples in Japaneses media. Given that the other two are clearly gay and the last is at the very least meant to look like a gay couple it is clear that even if they were meant to be representative of a gay couple. The only real couple on there is of a lesbian family again showing the defiance in acknowledgment of the straight allies.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:32 pm
Actually, looking around in the guild, I can see the bias. There's a lot of "us versus them" mentality in here.  

Kerrigan_dragon

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:34 pm
Saverio C.
The androgynous group of couples there clearly insinuate gay couples in Japaneses media. Given that the other two are clearly gay and the last is at the very least meant to look like a gay couple it is clear that even if they were meant to be representative of a gay couple. The only real couple on there is of a lesbian family again showing the defiance in acknowledgment of the straight allies.

That, or Mito only had so much space to work with, when making the banner. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:36 pm
Taeryyn

So you don't have any room for a straight couple but you have room for 4 gay ones. That seems a little bit absurd don't you think?  

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:38 pm
Saverio C.
Taeryyn

So you don't have any room for a straight couple but you have room for 4 gay ones. That seems a little bit absurd don't you think?

I didn't make the banner. smile And there's a straight couple there. Straight people can be androgynous, too. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:46 pm
Androgyny is generally associated, however, with people who are not straight.  

Kerrigan_dragon

Muse_of_the_Soul

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:50 pm
And now the Cerberus, it stands;
Head in heart;
Heart in hand;
I watch to hear that melancholy dirge.

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
To be honest, what I see this guild most as is an attempt to show the LGBT community to those who are straight. Many straight people have the issue of not understanding LGBT, and this results in the homophobic reactions that many of us recieve. Knowledge is power, and it's what this guild is about. Knowledge. Knowing more than you came in with. It also allows the LGBT community to learn more from straight individuals about their life, and why they live life the way they do. Thus, the alliance: the trade of knowledge between LGBT and Straights. That is the GSA.

Even in schools, communties, and other forms of civilization, this is the same way.

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

I know it's true, my love for you;
I jumped into the depths of Hell;
To save you from these rotten swells;
And still, you sing that melancholy dirge.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:56 pm
Muse_of_the_Soul, your "post style" is page-stretching. Would you mind not using it here, please, or altering it so that it's not so wide? smile

Edit: Thank you!  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Saverio C.

4,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:00 pm
Muse_of_the_Soul
Head in heart;
Heart in hand;

To be honest, what I see this guild most as is an attempt to show the LGBT community to those who are straight. Many straight people have the issue of not understanding LGBT, and this results in the homophobic reactions that many of us recieve. Knowledge is power, and it's what this guild is about. Knowledge. Knowing more than you came in with. It also allows the LGBT community to learn more from straight individuals about their life, and why they live life the way they do. Thus, the alliance: the trade of knowledge between LGBT and Straights. That is the GSA.

Even in schools, communties, and other forms of civilization, this is the same way.

This completely fails to address my issues with the current representation of the guild. I have no political issue with the content of the guild merely with the representation that straights play no significant part.

Further more, It is fool hardy to assume that this exchange is one way as you so elegantly imply. While I may not understand your community completely you surely have the same difficult as I do when it comes to straight people.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:01 pm
Taeryyn
Muse_of_the_Soul, your "post style" is page-stretching. Would you mind not using it here, please, or altering it so that it's not so wide? smile
Head in heart;
Heart in hand;

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
I apologize; I had fixed it up the other day and for some reason, the Firefox browser didn't save my format changes.
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Muse_of_the_Soul

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Wall Street 200

NegaScott_7x7

O.G. Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:02 pm
I kinda feel like you're turning this into some kind of reverse discrimination when that's not what it is.
Just ask to have the picture include straight people, I don't see the need to acuse the guild of being bias.
I personally didn't even really look at the picture. I think actions speak louder than words and I haven't seen any discrimination against straight people here.
Or maybe the people who made the picture are just trying to attract those who mostly come to the guild, gay people.
This is like Pride, the ads always suck, only including one woman or female couple while the rest are all men. Or one ethnic person or couple while the rest are white. So I guess thinking about that, I understand where you are coming from, But I still feel like this is too much seeing as I post in this guild all the time and I don't see anything bad against heterosexual people ever, and I feel like if there was many people would be very quick to defend that person.

Memorable Threads Archive

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff