Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
This program is pretty amazing

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:22 am
I got 3DS Max today and started playing with it for the first time. Holy crap it's hard to work in 3D after being so used to working in 2D. And it's so strange because all the icons and set up is so different to what I'm used to.
I got the architecture/design version because our building designers use AutoDesk Revit and their files import into Max. Also the design version has a more complex lighting and texture component because it's meant for doing renders and animations of buildings and street scapes.

Soooo these are some results of my aimless fiddling today, in hopes of getting familiar with some basic tools.

User Image

User Image

That second one I was just playing with textures. I think the water texture is pretty amazing, especially how the light is shiny through it and casting the sparkle on the satin chrome.

And for anyone who's interested, here's what it actually looks like while I work on it before rendering: click

The components in this program are pretty amazing. I'd say it's worth the 6k you pay for it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:36 am
I used to make computer game levels and objects in a 3D editor program... but that was like 10 years a go, it got too hard for me with new games xd

Looks like hard work! The shape of those houses can't make it any easier, they're all like simple cuboids with peaked roofs here razz
What do they use them for?  

scrub
Crew

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:12 pm
I always wanted to learn how to do that, but I have too many other things. XD;  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:36 pm
Lici by chance is the program able to convert .nif model files to .3ds or .3obj format for editing purposes?  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:38 am
Kosai Avonej
Lici by chance is the program able to convert .nif model files to .3ds or .3obj format for editing purposes?

I don't know, I'd have to have a .nif file to try to import to export as a max file. I don't even know what a .nif file is, let alone have one...  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games