Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Maybe I should build a kit car...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~*~
View Results

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 am
Porsche 917

You can buy kits to make these cars for around 4,000 bucks on the internet. what you get is the shell, rolling body, 15x10F/15x15R wheels and the rest you have to get crafty. Basically I can buy an interior thats all nice and custom furbished for it for about 1,2000 bucks minus the service. Then as for an engine I have no trouble ordering a modern engine from GM into it. All in all I'm looking at about 15,000 bucks without taxes to make a one of a kind car ( course I'm not painting it like a racing car ) that I would build myself within about a month and a half or so unless my friends help we'd get it done in maybe a few weeks. The car body itself without me in it would come in close to only like 700 pounds, so I don't even need a high end to crank good speeds out of it. Also I could put a small air conditioning unit in it, though I'd suspect it'd either be too cold or too hot but oh well. The interior would also look like a genuine car, not a racing car and I have the hookup for something like that.

So what do you think? Should teh Kosai build a one of a kind kit car or just buy something thats already made for 15,000 bucks? rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:58 am
I don't know if I would trust my safety to a car that wasn't quality-checked by the particular brand's mechanics. =S  

~ Milk Mynk ~

[-x.Foxie.x-]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:58 am
My dad and I built a kit 1967 Shelby Cobra and it turned out fine, and it's a lot of fun to do too, you just have to know what you're doing kind of.. the wiring gets really complicated and you have to be sure you're drilling holes correctly too. So if you think that you're up to it you should do it surprised . It's just a long-term project, it took us about 2 years.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:06 am
[-x.Foxie.x-]
My dad and I built a kit 1967 Shelby Cobra and it turned out fine, and it's a lot of fun to do too, you just have to know what you're doing kind of.. the wiring gets really complicated and you have to be sure you're drilling holes correctly too. So if you think that you're up to it you should do it surprised . It's just a long-term project, it took us about 2 years.

The only thing I'm wondering is if I'd fit in the Porsche 917 kit! I already found an engine I could put into it and I could modify the parts to match it. I'm trying to make it road legal, which actually isn't all that hard. And I'm a mechanic, so I have the know how of doing such things and I studied automotive body naturally since I began my trade in a restoration place. Now a Cobra kit car? Nice XD What engine did he put in it?  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

[-x.Foxie.x-]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:41 am
User Image

That's the engine, idk what exactly it is and I cba to go look, but there it is razz

User Image

there's the finished car, too. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:44 pm
It's a 427 cubic inches big block. Nice stuff! xd  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

~ Milk Mynk ~

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:06 am
... And to think I'm not even sure how to change a tire. *embarrassed*

That's one awesome car you put together there. heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:16 pm
~ Milk Mynk ~
... And to think I'm not even sure how to change a tire. *embarrassed*

That's one awesome car you put together there. heart

Your in luck, spare tires come with instructions on how to change them and cheap tools to do so. Though the tire is only good for like 25-50 km before you need to get a genuine tire put on it.  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

Saucey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:37 pm
So long as it has 1000 horsepower!!!! burning_eyes  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items