Welcome to Gaia! ::

THE RANDOM PEOPLE OF TOMORROW [[LET'S RAWRRR]]

Back to Guilds

Playground for the random. 

Tags: Random, Hangout, Roleplay, Contests, Arts 

Reply Debating Debating it all goes Here [[ Serious Debates and Controversial Topics]]
So being gay, lesbian, or bisexual is apparently Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xx_Pro Swagga_xX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:53 am
A friend of mine told me that they invented a pill to cure homosexuality and it actually worked. I don't know he's right because I'm too lazy to research it. But it does make sense. Some people are proud of being homosexual while others hate themselves for it. If it was a choice then everyone who hates themselves for being homosexual would chose to stop but they can't. Point being, I agree with science on this one. My family is all christian and I'm a crappy christian for reasons like this. Also because I don't agree with how the bible tells men to treat women, but thats a completely different topic.  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:24 pm
Symarea
in your genes/DNA.

Myth: Being gay is a choice

While some claim that being gay is a choice, or that homosexuality can be cured, evidence is mounting that same-sex attraction is at least partly genetic and biologically based.

To test whether genes play a role, researchers have compared identical twins (in which all genes are shared) to fraternal twins (in which about 50 percent of genes are shared). A 2001 review of such twin studies reported that almost all found identical twins were significantly more likely to share a sexual orientation - that is, to be either both gay, or both straight - than fraternal twins, who are less genetically close. Such findings indicate that genes do factor into a person's orientation.

Other studies have found that biological effects, such as hormone exposure in the womb, can also play a role in shaping sexual orientation. And findings of physiological differences, such as different inner ear shapes between homosexual and heterosexual women, contribute to this idea.

"The results support the theory that differences in the central nervous system exist between homosexual and heterosexual individuals and that the differences are possibly related to early factors in brain development," said Sandra Witelson of McMaster University in Ontario, an author on the 1998 inner ear finding published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

I tried to tell people it wasn't a choice. B| The choice is to accept it.. Not to be it. B|
I find these findings to be a lot of BS. so what if they studied twins and none twins. there are other major factor to take into effect that by what I see they did not. Examples are as follows.
1 where the twins of ether type raised the same way or not? (Someone raised around same gender couples may be more open to the idea. This does not mean they will become gay it only means they may be more understanding then some who had little to no exposure to same gender couples.)
2 what is there religious belief? (some religions say things like loving anyone of the same gender is evil or wrong. this can effect the outcome because even if they are that way they will have to hide it or face rejection from all there friends and family.)
3 The test where done as if it was a choice. This is a lie you do not wake up one day and suddenly think of I love someone of the same gender as myself. it is the same as when a heterosexual falls in love. They can not explain why they just feel it deep in there heart. I mean do you see any studies on why heterosexuals fall in love?
4 if this is true then altering a persons genes would mean you could alter who they are or who they will become.

that is about all I have to say on the matter!  

Moonlight Furry

Heart Star

7,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friendly 100

Mera1506

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:26 am
Symarea
in your genes/DNA.

Myth: Being gay is a choice

While some claim that being gay is a choice, or that homosexuality can be cured, evidence is mounting that same-sex attraction is at least partly genetic and biologically based.

To test whether genes play a role, researchers have compared identical twins (in which all genes are shared) to fraternal twins (in which about 50 percent of genes are shared). A 2001 review of such twin studies reported that almost all found identical twins were significantly more likely to share a sexual orientation - that is, to be either both gay, or both straight - than fraternal twins, who are less genetically close. Such findings indicate that genes do factor into a person's orientation.

Other studies have found that biological effects, such as hormone exposure in the womb, can also play a role in shaping sexual orientation. And findings of physiological differences, such as different inner ear shapes between homosexual and heterosexual women, contribute to this idea.

"The results support the theory that differences in the central nervous system exist between homosexual and heterosexual individuals and that the differences are possibly related to early factors in brain development," said Sandra Witelson of McMaster University in Ontario, an author on the 1998 inner ear finding published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

I tried to tell people it wasn't a choice. B| The choice is to accept it.. Not to be it. B|

Its not that farfetched that development can also play a part of it besides biological factors. It means some people will be more prone to be gay/bisexual/lesbian than others and development than does the rest. But when its formed it's formed and the chances of supposedly 'curing' it is highly unlikely at best. The best these camps will accomplish could be to have gays, lesbians and bisexuals not act on their feelings. If that's the best.....it sucks.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:26 pm
I always find it funny when people say "Being gay is a choice".
Just because of the sheer stupidity of the statement.
I'm a lesbian that actually wants to be bisexual. I want to be attracted to guys.
Mainly because of my ex.
He's still in love with me, and we're both really perfect for one another. We work so well together, and he's the sweetest guy you'll ever meet.
I only broke up with him because I couldn't make myself sexually attracted to him. It was hard to do, but it was for the best.
I tried to do sexual things with him, but it felt gross and disgusting. I just couldn't like it.
Having sex with women was always enjoyable for me, but I've never been able to have sex with men. Throughout my early years, I thought that maybe my disgust for the male form was just a phase.
But when I started dating him, I found out the cold hard truth. I'm just not sexually attracted to men.
To this day, I wish there was a potion I could take to make me bisexual.
Because it's certainly no choice.  

Symphira Mermaid

Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

Vampiric Paladin

16,125 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Charging Power 75
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:05 pm
Symphira Mermaid
I always find it funny when people say "Being gay is a choice".
Just because of the sheer stupidity of the statement.
I'm a lesbian that actually wants to be bisexual. I want to be attracted to guys.
Mainly because of my ex.
He's still in love with me, and we're both really perfect for one another. We work so well together, and he's the sweetest guy you'll ever meet.
I only broke up with him because I couldn't make myself sexually attracted to him. It was hard to do, but it was for the best.
I tried to do sexual things with him, but it felt gross and disgusting. I just couldn't like it.
Having sex with women was always enjoyable for me, but I've never been able to have sex with men. Throughout my early years, I thought that maybe my disgust for the male form was just a phase.
But when I started dating him, I found out the cold hard truth. I'm just not sexually attracted to men.
To this day, I wish there was a potion I could take to make me bisexual.
Because it's certainly no choice.

Sexual attraction and romantic attraction are completely different things.

Sexual attraction=I want to have sex with this person
Romantic attraction=I want to fall in love with this person

There is something called asexuality which is totally normal and many experience it (I'm one of them!). Asexuality means that you do not experience sexual attraction. You may never experience sexual attraction at all, you may only experience sexual attraction when you've built a very strong bond with someone, you may only experience sexual attraction toward one or two people, or you may only experience sexual attraction toward one gender!

In your case, you feel sexual attraction toward women and not men, and that is totally fine! Toward men you only experience romantic attraction. Sex is not the only way to express your love toward someone. You said that you got along well with your ex, and that you cared deeply about one another. That's a healthy and great relationship, and it didn't need sex to be good. Now, having sexual needs is totally normal as well, and it's fine for that relationship with your ex to have not fulfilled yours. It just means that you're better off with women than men if you are looking for sexual satisfaction as well as romantic satisfaction. If you want only romantic satisfaction, and are fine without sexual satisfaction, then either men or women are the perfect way to go!

The thing is, you ARE bisexual. Just because you don't experience sexual attraction toward both men and women, you still experience at least romantic attraction toward them both. Any attraction of any form shows that you are bisexual, and that can't be taken away from you because you experience it, and your experiences and feelings are valid. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:06 pm
Paladin Magnus Dawnguard

Sexual attraction and romantic attraction are completely different things.

Sexual attraction=I want to have sex with this person
Romantic attraction=I want to fall in love with this person

There is something called asexuality which is totally normal and many experience it (I'm one of them!). Asexuality means that you do not experience sexual attraction. You may never experience sexual attraction at all, you may only experience sexual attraction when you've built a very strong bond with someone, you may only experience sexual attraction toward one or two people, or you may only experience sexual attraction toward one gender!

In your case, you feel sexual attraction toward women and not men, and that is totally fine! Toward men you only experience romantic attraction. Sex is not the only way to express your love toward someone. You said that you got along well with your ex, and that you cared deeply about one another. That's a healthy and great relationship, and it didn't need sex to be good. Now, having sexual needs is totally normal as well, and it's fine for that relationship with your ex to have not fulfilled yours. It just means that you're better off with women than men if you are looking for sexual satisfaction as well as romantic satisfaction. If you want only romantic satisfaction, and are fine without sexual satisfaction, then either men or women are the perfect way to go!

The thing is, you ARE bisexual. Just because you don't experience sexual attraction toward both men and women, you still experience at least romantic attraction toward them both. Any attraction of any form shows that you are bisexual, and that can't be taken away from you because you experience it, and your experiences and feelings are valid. smile

To be bisexual, you have to be sexually attracted to both men and women.
What you mean to say is that I'm biromantic.
It's true that sex isn't the most important thing in a relationship, but the problem is he wants it.
Even just kissing a guy is gross to me, so the most he'd ever get from me is a hug. I appreciate your reply though. It's a really complicated situation, and I agree with what you said.
I'm much better off with women, and if I'm lucky enough to find someone like him once, hopefully I'll find a girl that's just as nice.  

Symphira Mermaid

peaceful life

8,500 Points
  • Ally Up 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:28 pm
What I think is that it can be a wide spectrum of nature and nurture, as so many other things about us often are. There are people who know they're gay from a young young age, and have always & always will be interested in the same sex. Then there are those who have a more fluid sexuality, they may gradually shift. I believe that can happen. And some people do not and probably will never be sure what their sexuality is and don't label themselves.

Either way, why does it matter where sexuality comes from? Is it really that important to prove it one way or another?  
Debating Debating it all goes Here [[ Serious Debates and Controversial Topics]]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games