Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Hai guise, help me with some houserules I've been working on

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:31 pm
As the title says, I've been working on some houserules for a game I'd like to DM in the near future. Inspiration comes from Monster Hunter, cause everyone knows hunting huge monsters and wearing their skin is SO cash.

Anyways, on to the rules. Feel free to contribute or give criticism, be it positive or negative.

Critical Hits:
When a player scores a critical hit against a creature, that creature is dazed for a round. When using a blunt weapon, such as a warhammer or club, the effect is doubled, effectively dazing the creature for 2 rounds.

Carving:
When a creature is slain in combat, the player has the option if it chooses to to carve and gather bones, horns, scales and other things from the creature. These materials can thus be brought back to a settlement to be worked into weapons, armor, or other things. Many of these might get damaged in battle, so the amount one can gather from a creature is limited. If the player chooses to carve the creature, he must roll a Nature check. The number indicates the amount of scales, fangs, etc the player has gathered. The amount might vary with other materials, as one cannot gather 13 horns from a creature with ONE horn.

That's all I have so far.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:07 pm
Is the Critical Hit house rule in addition to it already doing the extra damage? Or is your rule replacing the extra damage rule?

As for the Carving, I definitely see where you're going with it an applaud your courage in attempting such as that. However, I want to point out a few things, just to bring them to your attention.

First, are all creatures going to have armor-like hides and whatnot? I mean, I understand making armor from dragon scales, but goblin skin? Kobold bones? Those don't seem like good armor-making material. Perhaps a more elaborate system can be created.

Second, what sort of limitations are placed on this carving system? What's stopping an adventurer from gathering up lots of materials and creating +23 Vest of Destruction, after a few sessions? That seems a bit overpowered (unless you're running a high-powered game, in which case, ignore this).

Third, there's already the Craft skill for making armor (unless this is 4ed in which case I don't know know what they changed) which usually allows characters to make armor and whatnot. Is that going to be incorporated into this system?

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. I just believe it needs fine-tuning, is all.  

The Last Wordslinger

5,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trader 100

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:34 pm
Slings_Words
Is the Critical Hit house rule in addition to it already doing the extra damage? Or is your rule replacing the extra damage rule?

As for the Carving, I definitely see where you're going with it an applaud your courage in attempting such as that. However, I want to point out a few things, just to bring them to your attention.

First, are all creatures going to have armor-like hides and whatnot? I mean, I understand making armor from dragon scales, but goblin skin? Kobold bones? Those don't seem like good armor-making material. Perhaps a more elaborate system can be created.

Second, what sort of limitations are placed on this carving system? What's stopping an adventurer from gathering up lots of materials and creating +23 Vest of Destruction, after a few sessions? That seems a bit overpowered (unless you're running a high-powered game, in which case, ignore this).

Third, there's already the Craft skill for making armor (unless this is 4ed in which case I don't know know what they changed) which usually allows characters to make armor and whatnot. Is that going to be incorporated into this system?

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. I just believe it needs fine-tuning, is all.
I was thinking of adding the stun on critical to the damage, seeing as battles will be a tad tougher.

You can only carve things from creatures whose skin, fangs etc are good enough to provide you protection. A dragon's hide, for example, I think is much more tougher than a Kobold's, so you wouldn't be able to gather stuff from Kobolds or goblins or anything. And, I was thinking of making my own monsters in the near future that would work with the carving system.

Once they make the armor, they will not be able to alter it. You make a basic armor with some added bonuses, and if you want a better one, you need to remake the armor with better materials.

And this is for 4th edition, yes. Thanks for your criticism and comments.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:29 am
Uh for the critical's and the stunning I would suggest it be done as an extra fortitude attack seeing as it would be treated as such.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Alzzak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:23 am
I am new to the whole 4th edition thing, but Monster Hunters I am not.

I just had a few ideas and concerns, on combining the two.

First, How will magic play in your critical stuns? They aren't real weapons but, from my gaming experience, they can just as easily turn the tide of battle. It would be pretty funny for a simple magic missile to stun a monster.

Second, how would crafting an item work? Do we bring the items to someone for them to make, like to a blacksmith. Or would we be the ones that put the pieces together. Also, what about combining items? In the game fangs and husks made ammo for the bowguns. Not saying that you have to bring in the weapons from the game, just, are carved parts are going to be used for weapons and armor or could we use the parts for something more.

I only ask cause, my favorite part of the game was that you had two ways of finishing the monster off, kill it or my favorite trap it with tranq bombs and pitfalls. But both of those was combine made only items.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games