Submit

Winters Gate

Winter Guardian

19,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:50 am
I make photogaphs and cook. That isnt really useful though. I want to help people though and I dont know how I can. My family thinks I am a failure. Im starting to think they are right.

so how do you find out what youre good at?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:19 pm
Ok first of all there is no failure in either of the two skills you've mentioned. Photography isn't just about just point and clicking and then developing. Its art, its revealing truth when its well hidden, Its showing the world " HEY! LOOK AT THIS!" during natural disasters and changing the world bit by bit with each photo. And cooking is just as great a skill. Food brings people together, it creates a great environment and it brings comfort to people as well as nourishment. If you're determined enough they can be both fantastic careers as well.

Personally and no offense since I don't know you or your family, but they sound like their smoking crack if they think that neither of those skills can be successful. You should focus on what makes you happy and what you enjoy or feel that you are good at.

But if it's really stressing you. Then go out and try out some new skills you've tried before, volunteer for events, take some classes for it or read some books on crafting. Try some dance, or wood working or SOMETHING. If you honestly feel that the skills you have are not adequate enough to satisfy your life. YOUR LIFE not someone else saying what they think. Then try a new skill and see if it works out. Who knows you may surprise yourself

Liada Trovaras

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:01 pm
For me, it wasn't so much about finding so much as always knowing and then getting better. I've been drawing since my brain was developed enough to touch crayon to paper and leave a trace of wax. Now I'm in art college studying illustration. It needn't always be something that you've done for quite so long. I'm also a somewhat accomplished sculptor if I do say so myself, though the number of things that I sculpt is quite limited. I would say that I have perfected the shape of a monstrous claw, but little else.
I can say that I don't regard failure as having a marketable skill or making a great deal of money... Though of course if I did, I'd have probably killed myself, by now, were that my yardstick.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:09 pm
Thank you both for your advice.

Youve both given me alot to think about.  

Winters Gate

Winter Guardian

19,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Timid 100

Liada Trovaras

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:02 pm
Glad to be of service hun, you're also welcome to PM me if you want someone to chat with ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:44 am
I just attended a seminar yesterday. Saw this little clip. It was inspiring. Thought you might like it.

www.trainingabc.com/celebrate-whats-right-with-the-world-p-16229.html  

bandaidd
Crew

Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas