Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
I seriously need some advice Asap

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should I do something?
  yes
  no
View Results

Losseth

Dapper Sex Symbol

9,700 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:02 pm
Hey guys, I am in a predicament and its not me so to speak but a friend who is like a sister to me is. So let me get to the point:

My best friends mom is in a relationship where the man is hitting/beating her, and my friend (whos name I wont say) is really worried because shes in the same house. Now this man is her step father, and since her mother lost her job he is paying for the house,food, ect and using that as a keep I guess. Problem is that her mother is depressed and will not call the cops for that reason often saying she 'Hates life and she would kill herself,' also stating that she needs him to 'support her'. Now I know abuse that starts with hitting usually escalates and that he may end up killing her. Well problem is that my friend is in Texas and I am stuck here in Alabama, along with the fact my friend has violent tendencies and may well try to kill the abuser if something isn't done. I also worry that she may become a target as well at which point my anger will come out and usually when that happens I black out like my father and stop feeling pain (like my mother) until the fight is done.So things could get really ugly.

Discuss
What should I do?
I mean what can I do if I should or should it remain left alone?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:07 pm
ChiyoYukiko
Hey guys, I am in a predicament and its not me so to speak but a friend who is like a sister to me is. So let me get to the point:

My best friends mom is in a relationship where the man is hitting/beating her, and my friend (whos name I wont say) is really worried because shes in the same house. Now this man is her step father, and since her mother lost her job he is paying for the house,food, ect and using that as a keep I guess. Problem is that her mother is depressed and will not call the cops for that reason often saying she 'Hates life and she would kill herself,' also stating that she needs him to 'support her'. Now I know abuse that starts with hitting usually escalates and that he may end up killing her. Well problem is that my friend is in Texas and I am stuck here in Alabama, along with the fact my friend has violent tendencies and may well try to kill the abuser if something isn't done. I also worry that she may become a target as well at which point my anger will come out and usually when that happens I black out like my father and stop feeling pain (like my mother) until the fight is done.So things could get really ugly.

Discuss
What should I do?
I mean what can I do if I should or should it remain left alone?

Not to seem rude and be discouraging. Uhm...."pics or it didn't happen!"

{I have had three people in other guilds post stuff like this and it was false.}  

Kasai_Haigara

Devoted Guildsman

11,025 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Generous 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:50 pm
In Texas,"It's their own affair," and "They are probably just lying to get attention," are the general responses to domestic abuse. There are women and childrens' shelters all over the place, and police who can issue restraining orders and file charges. If the women (and this includes your friend) are unwilling to seek help and leave, that is their decision.

Sidenote: When I was in high school I had some really good online friends who were constantly in trouble. Stabbing, shooting, attempted suicides, affairs and threesomes... As I got older, I began to wise up to the fact that they weren't actually going through the things they were telling me. For that matter, they weren't even real people. Indeed, they were elaborate RP characters created by a couple of girls my own age. It's okay to worry for your friend, but take it with a grain of salt, especially if you don't know her in meatspace.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:02 pm
@Lychee: Oh no this isn't an online friend, I know her irl and went to the same highschool as her before I moved. That is why we are so close and why I am taking it so seriously.  

Losseth

Dapper Sex Symbol

9,700 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Pedromac

6,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:56 pm
My best suggestion is to get the number of the police department in the town she lives in. And even though you live far away, next time this is going on, call them and let them know. I know its difficult because shes so close to you. Right as you call them, tell her and if shes faking it, shell let you know instantly. If not then you'd have saved her night.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:43 pm
Unfortunately the police won't be able to do anything if the abused aren't willing to come forward about it themselves. If they say nothing is wrong the police will leave.  

scrub
Crew

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces