Signs
Unbreakable
Sixth Sense
The Village
Lady in the Water
The Happening

Do you like any of these?
Do you like Shyamalan?

I love his works. I've seen the first five.
Have I missed any?
Now, it seems most people who dislike him do so because he advertises his movies as horror/scary films and they just turn out to be an awesome drama story or some twist that isn't scary at all. Well, I don't like scary movies, so I'm glad I've decided to go see his movies despite the previews.

I personally love that his misleads people in his movies, but sometimes I wish it were the other way around: I sometimes wish scary movies would be advertised as not scary so that viewers would be even more surprised than usual! They'd be going in with the mood for a comedy or romance, and it ends up being some psychological thriller! OMG!

Now, I'd hate it if I got sucked into it, because like I said, I hate scary movies, but I would love to do ads for movies and have people wondering what kind of film it really is. twisted

I think Shyamalan got that down with the scary vs. drama stuff.

Lady in the Water is probably my favorite story ever. I could listen to that story every night before going to sleep, man.

Oh yeah, and I'd like to see his latest film, but I'm scared that this time it's actually going to be a scary movie. I'll have to hear the bad ratings that it wasn't scary first. lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:48 am
Hopefully the whole thread will get shifted. biggrin biggrin

I like M. Night. I thought Sixth Sense was a fantastic movie and Signs is one of my favorite movies of all time.
But somewhere after that he seems to have lost his way.
The Village was okay, somewhat uninspired. Lady in the Water was okay, not bad at all.
I've not seen Unbreakable, but I've heard good things about it (I know it predates Sixth Sense).
The Happening (that's the one about the plants going bad?) was a BIG disappointment. It was advertised as his "first R rated movie" and therefore he added a lot of useless, gratuitous violence just to be able to advertise like that.
It was long, fairly predictable after you figured out what was going on (which I-- and anyone who understands M. Night--did early on) and had no ending instead of a twist. Everything just

stopped.

Whatever.
I didn't go out to the theater to watch Airbender, but I will watch it when it comes on PPV. It got bad reviews and that makes me sad.  

Blue-sky-at-night

5,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Dressed Up 200

bandaidd
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:46 pm
*thread magically moved to movies sub-forum*
i feel so powerful 3nodding

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:47 pm
Don't want to see Avatar: tnab. never was a fan of the show really. I like all his movies except.....THE VILLAGE! That had such a weak twist that I was profoundly angry with him for making it. His movies are usually so good. >.< The Village was M. Night's epic fail. Can't tell you how much I wanted to punch him for that one.  

Prince Darialan

1,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Raistlyn Meronan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:54 pm
I enjoyed most of his movies... I have not yet seen The Devil or The last airbender nor have i seen the happening.. for that last one it just seemed... like to much hype... anyway i liked the village though though lady in the water was his epic fail. I liked the whole twist at the end of the village because you were made to believe that they were back in the early to mid 1700s times and you find out that they are actually in modern day. that was just wow.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:40 pm
That was a wow for me, too. And we found out the reason behind it, and it's pieced together why he truly chose the blind girl to wander aimlessly into this infested forest. I find the actress really captivating as well. She's pretty. 3nodding
I thought it was a well-done film.

I thought Lady in the Water was just a beautiful story, more comical than his other films, which I like. I love how the fiction piece came true and how it ended... Maybe it was the music that got me. I bought the soundtrack.

Different...Very.

Distinct Dabbler

16,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Team Josie 25
  • Bunny Spotter 50

lostphrack

Codebreaking Phantom

10,775 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:40 pm
I enjoyed most of his earlier stuff. The Sixth Sense, The Village, Unbreakable were all fantastic and I really dug them. Lady in the Water was ok, but I didn't find it as enjoyable and engaging as the other movies I've mentioned. The Happening had an interesting concept and some fantastic moments, but I don't think it held together very well in the end. I've never seen Signs and I'm not terribly interested in seeing his Avatar flick either, soo.. yeah. I usually like him but he's been a bit meh for me lately.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:10 pm
I'm not too happy with Mr. Shamaylan right now. I first I though he was cool and all when The Sixth Sense came out and then Signs. . . . . But now? Guh. . .

Personally I felt he started going downhill with The Village.

Critics are starting to call him a "one-trick pony" now because all his movies have the same plot direction (The Twist). His recent failure with Avatar (the only movie not to have a twist) strengthens that image.

HE MURDERED AVATAR! AND THAT IS AN UNFORGIVABLE OFFENSE! scream

I've been a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender ever since the pilot premiered on Nickelodeon. I watched every episode and sat through the marathons because it was so awesome. When I heard they were making a live-action movie, I was so excited and happy, I acted like a 6yr old on Christmas morning for a week until it hit theaters!

Watching M. N. Shamaylan's The Last Airbender was like watching a puppy being skinned alive: Pure Torture! The movie was riddled with holes that left people who never watched the series confused on the plot, it was choppy - suddenly jumping from one event to the next with no transitional flow, poor acting talent (though Shaun Toub was a ok), and how he changed the characters was RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!"

Aang: In the series, Aang is a happy and joyful, fun-loving kid. He is also a skilled fighter and kicks a**. He didn't want to be the avatar because when he was announced, the other kids refused to include him any more and the monks wanted to control his life. In the movie he hates violence and acts emo through the whole film.

Katara: In the series she starts out shy but gains confidence and ruthlessness as the story progresses. When trapped in the Earthbender prison camp, she goes in alone to get the Earthbenders to fight back giving a powerful motivational speech(A scene they handed over to Aang in the movie). I found her character in the movie to be a tad ditzy.

Sokka: Poor, poor Sokka. In the series he's basically the comedy relief even though he is a "skilled" fighter. In the movie he is also emo.

Iroh: In the series, war has taught him the value of life at the cost of his son's. Iroh is a happy fun loving peaceful guy like Aang and tries to encourage Zuko to lighten up and let his anger go. He was called "Dragon" because he supposedly killed the last one (he didn't). In the movie he's always sad (emo) and is called "Dragon" because he can create fire.

The Firebenders: In the series, all Firebenders create the fire they bend. In the movie, this is a talent only Iroh has, in a sense "crippling" them.

All in all, it felt like I was watching Mr. Shamaylan's version of The Ember Island Players.  

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

pirulaso

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:34 pm
Different...Very.
Signs
Unbreakable
Sixth Sense
The Village
Lady in the Water
The Happening

Do you like any of these?
Do you like Shyamalan?

I love his works. I've seen the first five.
Have I missed any?
Now, it seems most people who dislike him do so because he advertises his movies as horror/scary films and they just turn out to be an awesome drama story or some twist that isn't scary at all. Well, I don't like scary movies, so I'm glad I've decided to go see his movies despite the previews.

I personally love that his misleads people in his movies, but sometimes I wish it were the other way around: I sometimes wish scary movies would be advertised as not scary so that viewers would be even more surprised than usual! They'd be going in with the mood for a comedy or romance, and it ends up being some psychological thriller! OMG!

Now, I'd hate it if I got sucked into it, because like I said, I hate scary movies, but I would love to do ads for movies and have people wondering what kind of film it really is. twisted

I think Shyamalan got that down with the scary vs. drama stuff.

Lady in the Water is probably my favorite story ever. I could listen to that story every night before going to sleep, man.

Oh yeah, and I'd like to see his latest film, but I'm scared that this time it's actually going to be a scary movie. I'll have to hear the bad ratings that it wasn't scary first. lol
I liked a bunch of his movies, so I usually see his latest... Although I will say, they haven't struck me as much as I'd like.

The Happening was him trying to make a horror movie and it was terrible.

His latest Devil was watchable.

My favorite movies so far is Sixth Sense, Signs, and Unbreakable. My least favorite, was probably Lady in the Water.

On the Avatar Issue, he was given an impossible task. He had to make an entire season of a show into a 2 hour movie... It was never going to work.

I mean if you saw the previews, you had to have seen it coming. The races are all wrong. I went in with the lowest expectations possible. Its funny, if they kept everyone Chinese... It wouldn't have been racist, but then he turned the fire nation Indian... And then it was. Case in Point, the water tribe characters are all white people for some reason, even though the rest of the tribe is Inuit.

I didnt even bother watching it in theaters  
Movies TV Shows Books Comics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff