Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Suites, I'm thinking of vlogging..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AquilaLiberum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:39 am
So I've been thinking for the past week or so about starting to make vlogs. My housemate's girlfriend does it and she has over 50 subscribers, we ran into some of them when we were out a few weeks ago, it was like she was a celebrity. The thing is, I don't know how people make their vlogs interesting and enjoyable to viewers. In my head, my vlogs would basically be me talking about what's going on in my life, I fail to see how that could interest anyone xd

So, I just wanted to hear your opinions Suites, do you follow any vloggers, or do you think it's a bad idea?
Advice is, as always, greatly appreciated biggrin

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:43 am
I'm somewhat anti-vlogging b/c I don't see the point of it.

I'm not anymore interested in someone else's life unless I actually know the person.

with that said, if you were to vlog, I would vlog for your friends. And hopefully make new friends along the way. I started blogging a few thoughts a few months ago because it was on suggestion by some friends. They thought it was a good way to keep record of all the crazy/dumb/random ideas I've had. Unfortunately, its tough for me to keep up with blogging as its time-consuming and I found myself thinking more about what to say to make it interesting rather than it just being natural.

Ehhhh, so, vlogging for vloggin sakes/internet fame, no thanks. But vlogging for friends, I think thats a better idea.

Thats my 2 pesos.  

[ s e m p e r ]

Distinct Explorer

10,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Bebbo

9,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Consumer 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:53 am
I think the most interesting vlogs are ones that offer to teach the viewers something. Like this one vlog that I had followed, was about a person's experience in JET and they gave some really useful hints for applicants of JET. Another vlog I seem to follow now is a makeup tutorial one. I'm even hunting for a cooking one but I haven't found any that strike my fancy as yet.

Ones about a person's life tend to be boring and not so interesting to me. Unless the person has a shitload of drama in their life and want advice... But if you can find a way to make yours interesting it could work.

If I were to vlog or even blog it would probably be about me attempting to do something (say cooking, makeup, or er learning how to sing o.O)  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:55 pm
I follow about 40 people on YouTube, but I wouldn't consider them vloggers. Well... I suppose Shane Dawson might have a couple of vlog videos, but I didn't start watching him for that. I watch him for his comedy.

If you wanna try, then do it. I tend to find vlogs very boring if I do not care about the person doing them, but who knows--you might have viewers who are interested in your day to day life.  

comfylove
Crew

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:55 pm
I'm not into videos at all, for some reason. I hate it when I'm trying to find a tutorial for something and all I can find are video tutorials. D:<
But I'm a freak. XD If you find it fun, do it! Most of the ones I know about through friends are people ranting about things. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:42 am
I tend to prefer polished videos to vlogs. I spend way to much time watching videoes on TGWTG. Though I think Spoony does some great vlogs, but he tends to focus his on films. I suggest finding a focus if you are going to vlog, like books, films, games, and just give gut reactions.  

Yaoinaut

7,700 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 pm
If you want to do it regardless of whether or not someone would be listening, do it. Some people probably just vlog to talk it out if they don't want to keep a written/typed journal. I think if you want to get it to be popular, you need to have a point or something. Even if it was something like Bebbo said. A vlog about someones challenge and attempt to grow as an artist every day, to learn to cook well, to complete their dream, then it would have a draw in point. Otherwise, it's, "Hey. Hear about my day for no reason." You can always find something, even if it is just a blog that is about a general field and then you get other people to submit stuff as well. Or about your opinions on things. Or information. Popular vlogs/videoers/bloggers offer something that you couldn't easily get from the person sitting next to you. o:

Personally, I think videos where people act or talk in front of the camera are kind of awkward and boring, but half of them get a lot of traffic, so it might be luck and advertising. I would rather read a blog than watch a video of the person saying the exact same thing. Not sure why.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:51 pm
~*~

I'll watch you. :]

I agree with Pain, though, in that you should give it a good theme. If you're worried about seeming monotonous, just give your audience something to pay attention to. Work your way through a book of recipes, or talk about a certain class in uni. There are a ton of things that will save you from being lumped in with the emo preteens who have nothing better to do.

~*~

Den Dristige Djevelen

Yaoinaut

7,700 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:10 am
Also, another tip is to make sure you have good equipment. Nothing worse than someone drowned out by static.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:55 am
yaoinut
Also, another tip is to make sure you have good equipment. Nothing worse than someone drowned out by static.
Or if someone has bad lighting.  

comfylove
Crew

kim ocean
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:06 pm
I want to see someone start a vlog about how they're secretly a masked vigilante who fights crime at night. You know, basic stuff like how watching for crime while perched atop a high building is a really bad idea. Or the perils of spandex. Or how long winded super villians can be when explaining their nefarious plans.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:58 pm
Like in the Watchmen comic where Night Owl talks about the perils of a poorly designed costume? xD  

scrub
Crew

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces