Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
Early Age Brainwashing Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NegaScott_7x7

O.G. Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:58 pm
I have a gf and she has a son.
Her sons grandparents are brainwashing him.
He likes the color pink and he likes purses and girly things so they told him no, he doesn't like those things because he's a boy. He likes blue and wallets and manly things because he's a boy.

This pisses me off. They're convincing him that he doesn't like these things that he really does like. I don't understand how its ok to brainwash a kid. I dont understand why someone would want to. Why cant you just let them be who they are?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:25 pm
I say:

Is this serious...? That's not right, even if it's a child, no one should be allowed to tell the kid was he does and doesn't like there's a certain amount of freedom that even a kid should have. And that is definitely a piece of that freedom!

And that is all there is to say.

Reveladom

Omnipresent Loiterer

15,425 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Pink Freudian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:25 pm
My mom is doing that to my nephew...She told him he couldn't help her and my niece make a cake because he was a boy. It really pissed me off.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:35 pm
Yeah this just makes me so mad because if this isn't just a phase, he's going to grow up with lots of resentments because he's had to hide who he really is his whole life just because his grandparents might literally disown him if he were gay. And they certainly wouldn't be happy if he was feminine.
And theres nothing my gf can do about it because they don't know that she is a lesbian and i doubt she will tell them because they could possibly break all communications with her.

Her sons name is Tristan btw. His grandparents are adopting him. He even calls them his parents even though he calls my gf and his dad, mom and dad. Its weird.

But he's getting so bad that he thinks that something that has pink text on it is something for girls even if it really isnt.
He could get the manliest tank there ever was but if theres a "girly" colored text anywhere on it, he thinks its for girls and doesnt want it.
They have messed this kid up already.

NegaScott_7x7

O.G. Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200

NegaScott_7x7

O.G. Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:37 pm
French Toast-or-Jeebus
My mom is doing that to my nephew...She told him he couldn't help her and my niece make a cake because he was a boy. It really pissed me off.

Has your mom ever watched the food network? Because theres plenty of men on there. Maybe more men than there are women even.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:41 pm
IndieUndies00
French Toast-or-Jeebus

Has your mom ever watched the food network? Because theres plenty of men on there. Maybe more men than there are women even.

I know! But she thinks a woman's place is in the kitchen, taking care of kids cleaning, etc. and everything else is left to the guys.  

Pink Freudian

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:47 pm
Gotta love sexism and gender roles. -sarcasm-  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:49 pm
I say:

That's just horrible... I'm going to mention this as a "just so you know", when it comes to things like this, I'm very pessimistic in saying that this can only turn out in a few ways. I'm not going to go into them though, only for the simple fact that they are a little discouraging.

And that is all there is to say.

Reveladom

Omnipresent Loiterer

15,425 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Forum Sophomore 300

NegaScott_7x7

O.G. Shapeshifter

7,800 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:39 pm
French Toast-or-Jeebus
IndieUndies00
French Toast-or-Jeebus

I know! But she thinks a woman's place is in the kitchen, taking care of kids cleaning, etc. and everything else is left to the guys.

Your mom has been brainwashed too apparently. I like to believe that women were not put here soley to serve men and have babies. But society tells us from the start that women are for cleaning, and cooking and men are for working and manly stuff. Stupid society.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:05 pm
this post reminds me of: SHILOH JOLIE PITT

the american media is agasp at the fact that angelina jolie and brad pitt "dress" their little girl as a little boy. everyone is shocked that as parents, they would allow such a thing to happen. everyone seems so horrified that any parent would let their child slip so far away from gender norms but i say, whats the big whup?

this couple has a little girl on their hands who idolizes pirates, her dad and big brothers, and peter pan! she wants to be called "john", chooses boy outfits, and begs for short hair... what are parents to do in this situation? angelina and brad have it correct, let her be her own person! afterall, its not the end of the world if little shiloh is a tomboy, is it?

shiloh is my idol. i am team shiloh. i even dress up my girl avatar primarily in boys clothes. GENDER NORMS, SCHMENDER NORMS!

parents and caregivers need to celebrate the differences in children, not eradicate them!

but what can you do? ignorance is everywhere.

User Image  

detoxicide

5,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Meeatu

5,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:49 am
I have a question for you.
(Don't by any means take it as a guide to how you should act in this situation, usually, following your heart has the most fulfilling outcome, even if it is less moral and much harder to acchieve.)

Would you be as offended, if it was a gay couple 'brainwashing' their male child to be feminine? If no, you're a hypocrite, if yes, is it brainwashing to provide your child with perfectly neutral surroundings or an equal mix of traditionally masculine/feminine items...? Could that be seen as brainwashing a child to be androgenous? Or even just seen as brainwashing a child to be pro-choice by people who believe in the traditional gender roles? Worth asking.

All in all, people are always going to raise children into whatever set of morals that they hold themselves. Were most of you not raised in a primarily hetero-normative environment that at least on some level promoted gender roles?

I immagine being brought up into that and breaking free from it is part of what it is to grow up as a person.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:45 pm
This reminds me about a fox news article about this hissyfit over a picture of a boy letting his mom paint his nails pink,of course fox news being fox news, decided that it was wrong, but the killing of Bin Laden thus probably making terrorists worse is awight.

(note:I don't support terrorism or Bin Laden).  

nonecludiankitten

3,600 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gender Swap 100

RazzleDazzle104

Witty Phantom

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:32 pm
That's not right...I mean, common, they're little children. It shouldn't matter what they like. You don't know if they're tastes are going to change along the road, and if they don't so what? It's not going to be the end of the world.

It reminds me of that law and order episode of the grandparents trying to convince the little girl that her lesbian mommies were wrong for being lesbian mommies.

It's oldschool mentality, that's what it is. It's the fault of people who said blue is for boys and pink is for girls. The same people that think girls should wear only dresses and boys can only wear pants. I don't like it, there's people that just won't evolve like the rest of us.  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:42 pm
JM Starchild
That's not right...I mean, common, they're little children. It shouldn't matter what they like. You don't know if they're tastes are going to change along the road, and if they don't so what? It's not going to be the end of the world.

It reminds me of that law and order episode of the grandparents trying to convince the little girl that her lesbian mommies were wrong for being lesbian mommies.

It's oldschool mentality, that's what it is. It's the fault of people who said blue is for boys and pink is for girls. The same people that think girls should wear only dresses and boys can only wear pants. I don't like it, there's people that just won't evolve like the rest of us.

Actually, in the 1930s, pink was for guys and blue was for girls.  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

RazzleDazzle104

Witty Phantom

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:44 pm
Shilberu Erikku
JM Starchild

Actually, in the 1930s, pink was for guys and blue was for girls.

Wow really? Well there's something I was never taught.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff