Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
Gay parents?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tifairy

Dangerous Cat

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:26 pm
Hey everyone. I'm a young mom and I recently started my first relationship with a lady. Things are fantastic and I can't imagine ever turning back from her. I have had some extreme eyebrow raises though when my son is present. I don't see the big deal.

Anyone been raised by gay parents, or are gay parents? Your experiences?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:06 pm
Too be honest, I've never seen a same-sex couple with children around here. I imagine most of our such couples move away due to the closed-mindedness here, but a good set of parents can be straight, homo, or anywhere between. It's not about gender, it's about how well you bring up your children.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

tifairy

Dangerous Cat

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:15 pm
I haven't seen any either. We have a pretty small gay community here. But I obviously agree - it's about the parenting not the gender.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:42 pm
There's a lesbian couple in our church who adopted and raised a daughter, and she's completely fine with having two moms. I got the chance to talk to her about it briefly once, and she really seems to love the life she's had, so if you're looking for a child raised by gay parents' point of view, that's as close as I can give you of one.

As the previous people have said, it's the parent not the sexual orientation that matters. If you feel that you and your partner are doing a good job as parents, then I wouldn't worry too much about what other people are saying. I think mostly it's just that gay parenting is such a startling, and in some ways new, concept to some people that they aren't sure how to take it, and thus the raised eyebrows.

Really, it goes against the way most people are taught and raised, so it's not surprising that people aren't being very accepting and supportive of it just yet. It's something that my girlfriend struggles with with her daughter, too.

Bridget Paloumar

5,500 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200

loveless_in_hell

7,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:03 pm
A friend of mine at school, she lives with her mom and her moms wife. He moms wife is pretty cool, i've never talked to her alone since i've known my friend and her family for years and her step-mom i've only meet like twice. For only a few minutes.

Also one of my friends, he has a boyfriend and they have a daughter. She's so cute, just turned one. Extremely happy, one of their friends sister, whose a mother, asked "How do you do it?"  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:42 pm
Tifairy
Hey everyone. I'm a young mom and I recently started my first relationship with a lady. Things are fantastic and I can't imagine ever turning back from her. I have had some extreme eyebrow raises though when my son is present. I don't see the big deal.

Anyone been raised by gay parents, or are gay parents? Your experiences?
A raised eyebrow only contorts the face of the one raising it. It makes them look silly and has no reflection on you. 3nodding  

DysFUNKtional Duck

Destructive-Kiwi

Dapper Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:53 pm
I admire your strength! Being a young mother and probly even having the guts to brush off the judgmental onlookers. Keep on with the strength! =)

btw, your vertical labrets are fantastic!  
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games