Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
I WANNA READ THIS GODDAMN BOOK SO BAD. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am raging.
  Buy the book.
View Results

ecopper12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:46 pm
BUT I CAN'T FIND AN EBOOK OF IT. D<

I guess I'll just have to order a physical copy...

Breathing Underwater - Alexandra Flinn

Amazon.com Review
It was only a slap. Well, maybe more than one. And maybe Nick used his fist at the end when the anger got out of control. But his girlfriend Caitlin deserved it--hadn't she defied him by singing in the school talent show when he had forbidden her to display herself like that? Even though he'd told her that everybody would laugh at her because she couldn't sing and was a fat slob? Both were lies. Because Caitlin was so beautiful, the only person who understood him. Out of his desperate need for her came all the mean words and the hitting. But now Caitlin's family has procured a restraining order to keep Nick away, and the judge has sentenced him to Mario Ortega's Family Violence class, to sit around every week with six other angry guys who hit their girlfriends. And to write a journal explaining how he got into this mess.

Other teen novels--most strikingly Dreamland by Sarah Dessen--have shown dating violence from the point of view of a young girl trapped in an abusive relationship, but in Breathing Underwater, first-time novelist Alex Flinn tackles the difficult task of making us understand, if not sympathize with, the motivation of a violent young man. The story, like Rob Thomas's stylistically similar Rats Saw God, proceeds in two different time frames: the journal in which Nick relives the course of his tender but stormy love affair with Caitlin and the time after the restraining order, in which a desperate and friendless Nick struggles to understand and overcome his anger. This extraordinarily moving novel is highly relevant reading for all young men in our violence-prone society. (Ages 13 and older) --Patty Campbell --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

It sounds insanely interesting.

Discuss: The Book
Good reads  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:42 pm
~*~

I own it. Read it in one sitting. It's good.

I don't understand the fascination with electronic books. Can someone explain it to me?

~*~

Den Dristige Djevelen

iceryu66

Aged Hunter

6,150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:01 pm
I want to read "The Thermal Dynamics of Pizza"
I don't mind the fact it's a textbook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:19 pm
that sounds interesting, i will have to try and find it.

i've read Dreamland... which was mentioned in there.
i don't care if people think she's trashy or what have you, i have fond memories of Sarah Dessen books on the beach in summer..
xD

like Dris, i don't get ebooks. they seem like they'd be annoying. i love reading and half of that (for me) is having/borrowing a physical copy to hold and turn pages and all that corny stuff. books smell good too...... ninja

diffun

comfylove
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:52 pm
I am reading Stephen King's On Writing currently.

@Dris: You can carry tons of books all in one little thing that weighs less than a hard back. What's not to love?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:00 am
Den Dristige Djevelen
~*~

I don't understand the fascination with electronic books. Can someone explain it to me?

~*~

I think the fascination stems from the fact of mobility, like Comfy said.

You can have tons of full books on, say...A Kindle, rather than having to lug around tons of books if you have a big vacation or something.  

ecopper12

Den Dristige Djevelen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:49 pm
ecopper12
Den Dristige Djevelen
~*~

~*~

I think the fascination stems from the fact of mobility, like Comfy said.

You can have tons of full books on, say...A Kindle, rather than having to lug around tons of books if you have a big vacation or something.
~*~

Understandable.
But you still have to buy the thing for god-knows-how-much and, I thiiiiiink, buy each book you put on it.
And really?
If you're reading a book by the pool and it gets splashed, you just dry it off and keep reading.
What happens if the snappy device gets a face-full of water?
Nooooot as easily replaced.
If one paperback gets left on the train or something, you mope about and buy a new one for $7 or so. But heaven forbid you leave the, what was it?, Kindle on there. You're ********, right?

It just seems impractical to me.

~*~

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:58 pm
Some books are free, others are discounted.  

comfylove
Crew

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:09 pm
If there's two things we love in this house, it's physical books and CDs. It's going to be a blast to move. XD;  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:12 pm
Den Dristige Djevelen
~*~

~*~

In a really-not-that-weird sort of way,
I like having the ability to feel paper and flip the page.
I like being able to tell where I am in a book.

D: Sometimes, I like the feeling of not looking at a screen.

Tus Ojos Oscuros..

The_Wizard

Invisible Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:37 pm
You know what I want?

For textbooks to be available in eBook format.

Instead of carrying several six or seven hundred page,
one to one-and-a-half pound paper bricks everywhere,
you have a small eReader with your textbooks loaded on it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:39 pm
I'm about to read "The China Study."  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:44 pm
The_Wizard
You know what I want?

For textbooks to be available in eBook format.

Instead of carrying several six or seven hundred page,
one to one-and-a-half pound paper bricks everywhere,
you have a small eReader with your textbooks loaded on it.
Some of them are. Several of the books I bought this semester were available as ebooks.

Or is there a difference between those and ones you can put on your ereader?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:03 pm
Tus Ojos Oscuros..
Den Dristige Djevelen
~*~

~*~

I'm with you, I love actual physical books.
When you pick up an old, well worn book you've read a thousand times, it feels comfortable.
There's also just something wonderful about turning a page.
And books smell. Those little e-reader deals are just plastic, scentless plastic, you can smell the paper of a book, & the things permeating that paper. When you pick up a book, you can smell it, & be reminded of something from years ago, by that scent.
Also, I write in my books, many of my books are filled with little notes to myself, & whatnot. Can't do that on an e-reader.
Plus, I'm a sucker for nostalgia, & when I'm feeling particularly douchey, I can be an elitist, & mock those who prefer digital books, to I suppose... analog books.

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:35 am
Renard Muldrake
Tus Ojos Oscuros..
Den Dristige Djevelen
~*~

~*~

I'm with you, I love actual physical books.
When you pick up an old, well worn book you've read a thousand times, it feels comfortable.
There's also just something wonderful about turning a page.
And books smell. Those little e-reader deals are just plastic, scentless plastic, you can smell the paper of a book, & the things permeating that paper. When you pick up a book, you can smell it, & be reminded of something from years ago, by that scent.
Also, I write in my books, many of my books are filled with little notes to myself, & whatnot. Can't do that on an e-reader.
Plus, I'm a sucker for nostalgia, & when I'm feeling particularly douchey, I can be an elitist, & mock those who prefer digital books, to I suppose... analog books.

Mmmmm, book smell <3
I'm all for what everyone said about paper books being awesome xD
One day, when real books are phased out and books are only available as electronic data, I'm going to cuddle my book collection and give it lots of love (:  
The Suites

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff