Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
The Trevor Project

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whigg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:55 pm
Not sure if ya'll know about this, or if I'm late to the game, but my partner directed me to the Trevor Project the other day.
It's not the kind of thing that helps me, personally, but I thought it might be of some use to some of you guys.
It's a crisis (i.e., self harm) and suicide prevention program for LGBT youth, as well as a 'Dear Trevor' section which is kind of like your average advice column, but for LGBT-related issues.
There's a toll-free number to call as well as a live chat with trained volunteers that runs every Friday from 4 pm EST to 12 am EST (though that's for U.S. residents only). And probably some other things I missed.
Bear in mind that some of these things aren't for suicide prevention. 'Dear Trevor' isn't immediate enough to supply help to anyone on the verge of harming themselves or committing suicide, and the live chat isn't recommended for those at risk for suicide. For those who are, they suggest the lifeline.
Thought it might be good to make you guys aware of this, if you weren't already.
Even if you're not at risk or anything, might still be of interest.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:41 pm
Whigg
Not sure if ya'll know about this, or if I'm late to the game, but my partner directed me to the Trevor Project the other day.
It's not the kind of thing that helps me, personally, but I thought it might be of some use to some of you guys.
It's a crisis (i.e., self harm) and suicide prevention program for LGBT youth, as well as a 'Dear Trevor' section which is kind of like your average advice column, but for LGBT-related issues.
There's a toll-free number to call as well as a live chat with trained volunteers that runs every Friday from 4 pm EST to 12 am EST (though that's for U.S. residents only). And probably some other things I missed.
Bear in mind that some of these things aren't for suicide prevention. 'Dear Trevor' isn't immediate enough to supply help to anyone on the verge of harming themselves or committing suicide, and the live chat isn't recommended for those at risk for suicide. For those who are, they suggest the lifeline.
Thought it might be good to make you guys aware of this, if you weren't already.
Even if you're not at risk or anything, might still be of interest.

i saw a segment of the pbs program "In The Life" that discusses the trevor project. apparently it is inspired by the hbo film Trevor (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111486/) which was based on a new york city performance piece of the same name.

there is actually a social networking website that also sprang forth from trevor and the trevor project. the website is: http://www.trevorspace.org/ and its sort of like a young, gay myspace. the age bracket is 13-24 if any of you kids are interested.

it sounds like a really great project and an excellent resource. of course i would hope that no one on in this guild would have suicidal feelings, if anyone does the trevor project would be a good tool to help with those feelings.  

detoxicide

5,150 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items