Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
kobo eReader

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have an eReader?
  Yes, kobo eReader
  Yes, Amazon Kindle
  Yes, Barnes & Noble Nook
  Yes, Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-300
  Yes, Other eReader not listed above
  No, I'm sticking with printed books
View Results

The_Wizard

Invisible Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:10 am
I've been wanting to try out the world of eReading for a while.
A small device that can hold 1000s of books, reads like printed paper and
the cost of a book can be as little as $0.99 and even on new releases
the price of the ebook version is almost always less than the printed version.

Two days ago I got an email from Chapters/Indigo, saying that
until Monday, September 6, 2010, the kobo eReader will be
selling for $128, down from the normal retail price of $149.

I have no idea if there is a similar price drop in the US (available at Borders).

User Image

Thus I decided to pick one up. I got the black one, the blue d-pad on the "Porcelain" white one didn't do nothing for me.

So far so good, I'm really liking it, and I didn't even have to buy any eBooks to get started, as it comes preloaded with 100 free classic eBooks, from Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll to War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:38 pm
Personally, I hate ereaders. There's something about the look and page transition that I really dislike. I would much rather read a physical book or an ebook on my laptop or even iTouch (even though it's tinyyy). I'm sure it saves you money in the end to buy an ereader, but eh. I'm not really enthralled by them.

But buying stuff on sale is the best.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

SweetScentOfSweat

6,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:44 pm
I want a Nook.
Right now, I'm reading from
paperbacks. (:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:49 pm
How can they 'read like print on paper'?
Bodies of text flow better in a serif font. It's common knowledge that screens don't display serif fonts well because of pixels, hence why sans serif fonts are used on everything front file names to text on websites.
And projected light isn't the same as reading on paper.

I hate reading bodies of text on screens. I always have to print them out and read them on paper, no matter what.  

de.Lici.ous
Crew

Tus Ojos Oscuros..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:15 pm
Can anyone explain the differences between this, the kindle, and the nook?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:49 pm
de.Lici.ous
How can they 'read like print on paper'?
Bodies of text flow better in a serif font. It's common knowledge that screens don't display serif fonts well because of pixels, hence why sans serif fonts are used on everything front file names to text on websites.
And projected light isn't the same as reading on paper.

I hate reading bodies of text on screens. I always have to print them out and read them on paper, no matter what.

I still like printed books, any new releases by authors I like I'm still going to get the printed book first over the eBook version anyday.

Though with eReaders, well with my kobo at least, the words on the page looks remarkably similar to actual print with the e-ink display, and even after a few hours of use, I'm not getting any eyestrain at all, unlike when I stare at my LCD computer screen for a few hours without rest.

I also found this: Kindle and iPad Displays: Up close and personal [Link].

Someone took a USB Microscope and looked up close at the Amazon Kindle with an e-ink display, like on my kobo, and Apple's iPad with an LCD screen.

Tus Ojos Oscuros..
Can anyone explain the differences between this, the kindle, and the nook?

User Image
1. Information as of April 16, 2010 – Based on manufacturers' User Guides and Product Fact Sheets available online for each device. The comparison chart does not set out all features and specifications available for each device.

2. Price information obtained from manufacturers' websites.

3. Based on the average eBook size of 1 MB
Source:
http://www.koboereader.com/comparisons.html

The_Wizard

Invisible Explorer

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:13 pm
Oh, that is actually fairly impressive. Wow, if all screens start getting that technology, vector might actually work on the web!  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games