Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
I have a Question.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Herr Sinne

Beloved Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:13 am
So a person in my year at a school died recently. I didn't know him and in all honestly, the only time we spoke was in math when he asked me to explain a problem.

I don't have the time to go to the wake and pay my respects, so I'm going to send a card of some kind.

I was told by my mother that I'm a ******** horrible human being if I don't go. I miss general psychology and Western Civilization if I go though.

So am I a horrible person?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:17 am
No.

He wasn't a close friend and honestly even if he was it doesn't mean you should be forced too go.  

coldheartedangel

Omnipresent Elder

scrub
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:48 am
Your Mum probably empathises a lot with his parents hence the strong reaction. I'm sure its a nightmare to loose your child so young and parents tend to worry about their kids as it is.

Personally I think it would be kinda weird to go if you didn't know him. I would feel like I was intruding on a families mourning for no reason.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:03 pm
scrub
Your Mum probably empathises a lot with his parents hence the strong reaction. I'm sure its a nightmare to loose your child so young and parents tend to worry about their kids as it is.

Personally I think it would be kinda weird to go if you didn't know him. I would feel like I was intruding on a families mourning for no reason.
i agree with scrub, it's great that your sending a card, it shows you care, but you didn't know him nor where you he your friend you don't really need or should you really go.  

Undead Honey Cake

Mewling Kitten

13,000 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Partygoer 500

iceryu66

Aged Hunter

6,150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:29 pm
Why the ******** should you care?
A guy who asked me for the time once died, and now I have to go to his *insert death party here*?

(PS: In my family it is a death party, good parties to, which is odd because were normally very withdrawn from that sort of thing.)  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:44 pm
I agree with Scrub 100%. I would feel really awkward being there. Plus, I hate how when someone dies, they suddenly have 92348234324 friends.  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

SweetScentOfSweat

6,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:55 pm
Don't go.
Maybe it's from my experience with funerals,
or the fact I'll be attending one in about two days,
but from what I've seen, if you're not going to
calm someone else or going to mourn,
it's best you not go at all.

My friend died Wednesday night.
I don't want to go to his funeral.
I just think if I don't, I'll regret it,
so I'm going to go.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:23 pm
Szen
I agree with Scrub 100%. I would feel really awkward being there. Plus, I hate how when someone dies, they suddenly have 92348234324 friends.
I really hate that to.

A girl (Milly Dowler) died under nasty circumstances and it made national news, she went to Heathside school which was very near my High School, so many of us knew people from there.
Suddenly everyone in my school was apparently this girls BFF. I thought it was really pathetic to try and gain attention from another families tragedy. neutral  

scrub
Crew

kim ocean
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 pm
SweetScentOfSweat

My friend died Wednesday night.
I don't want to go to his funeral.
I just think if I don't, I'll regret it,
so I'm going to go.

Sorry for your loss sad

Stream Line: Unless your parents and his parents are close friends, it would be kind of weird to go if you didn't know him that well. Or if a friend of yours was a friend of his. Otherwise, I agree with everyone else. A funeral should be a time to remember someone, not figure out who they were. I think it's very thoughtful of you to even send a card.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:17 pm
I don't think it makes you horrible, you didn't know the guy, no reason for you to care. Plus, there are so many better reasons I think you're a horrible person.

Also, a few weeks ago some dude, I sorta kinda knew died in a house fire, & I was hangin' about some folks he knew, & told one of them to die in a fire, they were displeased. To be fair, I didn't know he was dead.

Renard Muldrake

Clean Capitalist

6,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items