View Results

ProphecyEmpress

Dangerous Worshipper

10,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:29 pm
I'm not at home right now, but I want some advice on how to present my problem to my therapist. Normally, this problem makes me feel very...angry. Why? Because of all the trouble it's given me.

What is this problem, you ask? I'm going to reserve a post and let everyone know at a better time. However, the basic groundwork is I'm unhealthily obsessed with an anime character. Whether that is treatable is quite debatable, but I want to see what my therapist has to say in response to this.

I've tried fanfiction, fanart, lucid dreaming, fantasies, basically everything in relation to those four items. Role-playing is the cure I've found that works, but this character makes me function like he's a drug, which isn't good. I've tried not role-playing and instead I went into withdrawal from being excessively bored.

The only thing I'm asking for is advice on how to present my problem, which you'll know more about when I get home in about two hours or less. Posting now because I have to use the bathroom.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:30 pm

ProphecyEmpress

Dangerous Worshipper

10,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Undertakerfangirl

9,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:38 pm
I'm sorry, but all I thought when I read your thread title is that if you put a space in "therapist", it spells "the rapist"... sweatdrop

Sorry, this sounds like I serious issue, I should be more mature...

I'd say since you said you suffered from withdrawal because you were bored, I'd suggest you find something to occupy your time that will distract you from this character. Something like taking up a sport or musical instrument or something that you have to practice to improve. Then any time you feel bored, practice your new hobby and focus on getting better at it. I'd stay away from anything like painting or drawing, though, because you might be tempted to represent the character in your art, which would kind of defeat the purpose of taking up the hobby to distract yourself...  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:45 pm
LOL! That's okay. I actually like humor. xD

I get bored easily also, and my Asperger's Syndrome seems to restrict the amount of things I'm interested in. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, distracts me from this character for long. He is just constantly on my mind.

That being said, how would you suggest I bring up this topic to my therapist? I don't want to be too direct, but rather ease into it until I can go more in depth about it.

ProphecyEmpress

Dangerous Worshipper

10,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Undertakerfangirl

9,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:59 pm
HaWkGiRL

I get bored easily also, and my Asperger's Syndrome seems to restrict the amount of things I'm interested in. Nothing, and I do mean nothing, distracts me from this character for long. He is just constantly on my mind.

That being said, how would you suggest I bring up this topic to my therapist? I don't want to be too direct, but rather ease into it until I can go more in depth about it.
I'd start off by just admitting it, and then describe the details. Like I'd say first, "I'm obsessed with a character from a Japanese cartoon." Your therapist will be intrigued and ask what you mean by "obsessed", and then you can just launch into the story about how it developed and progressed and all the signs you see in your behavior that indicate that you are clinically obsessed with the character and need some sort of treatment for it. But you'll probably have to go all out with it so that your therapist sees that it's serious and that you definitely need help with it. So don't hold back.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:10 pm
Undertakerfangirl
HaWkGiRL

I'd start off by just admitting it, and then describe the details. Like I'd say first, "I'm obsessed with a character from a Japanese cartoon." Your therapist will be intrigued and ask what you mean by "obsessed", and then you can just launch into the story about how it developed and progressed and all the signs you see in your behavior that indicate that you are clinically obsessed with the character and need some sort of treatment for it. But you'll probably have to go all out with it so that your therapist sees that it's serious and that you definitely need help with it. So don't hold back.

I'm not exactly the dramatic type. While yes, I can certainly be dramatic, it has to come out naturally and not...forcefully. It is a problem, but I'm not going to be all, "OMFG, I HAVE A F**KING PROBLEM. MY F**KING GOD, I NEED THIS GUY TO LIVE. IF I DON'T HAVE HIM, I'M GOING TO BECOME WHINY AND DEPRAVED AND............."

When I go all out, that's the type of performance I'd give. It feels bad enough that therapy might do more damage trying to get me out of the obsession than reducing it.

I don't necessarily want to stop liking this character. I just want to tone it down a bit. sweatdrop

ProphecyEmpress

Dangerous Worshipper

10,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Undertakerfangirl

9,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:22 pm
HaWkGiRL
Undertakerfangirl
HaWkGiRL

I'm not exactly the dramatic type. While yes, I can certainly be dramatic, it has to come out naturally and not...forcefully. It is a problem, but I'm not going to be all, "OMFG, I HAVE A F**KING PROBLEM. MY F**KING GOD, I NEED THIS GUY TO LIVE. IF I DON'T HAVE HIM, I'M GOING TO BECOME WHINY AND DEPRAVED AND............."

When I go all out, that's the type of performance I'd give. It feels bad enough that therapy might do more damage trying to get me out of the obsession than reducing it.

I don't necessarily want to stop liking this character. I just want to tone it down a bit. sweatdrop
I'm not saying to blow it out of proportion either though, just make sure your therapist knows the full degree of your obsession...  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:26 pm
Undertakerfangirl
I'm not saying to blow it out of proportion either though, just make sure your therapist knows the full degree of your obsession...

Yes. That I can do. I think I have a better understanding of how to approach the problem now that I've thought about it.  

ProphecyEmpress

Dangerous Worshipper

10,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Nazara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:43 pm
If it makes you feel any better I f**king love hawkgirl (the character)!!!!!!!!  
"ALI" Advice for Life Issues

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games