Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pythonesque
Crew

Kawaii Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi guys!

I was wondering who your favorite authors were and how they have influenced how you write.

My top two are Neil Gaiman and Chuck Palahniuk. They both have steered me into a bit of a darker style of writing. I have an interest in the macabre, but still like things to stay humorous and quirky. I think both of them pull this off in different ways.

Other influences: H. P. Lovecraft, H. G. Wells, George Orwell, J. K. Rowling

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:51 pm
I think Rowling also influenced me a lot, as did Anne McCaffrey - I adore The Dragonriders of Pern, and some of her other novels have been major inspirations for me.

I recently started looking into the Discworld series (I've read Going Postal, Making Money, and Unseen Academicals), and Pratchett makes me lol. HARD. I want my stories to be as funny as his, but it's hard!

So yeah, if I see anything by McCaffrey or Pratchett, I'll snap it up in a heartbeat.

And, there's one more guy... You probably haven't heard of him, but he gets published in Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine every so often. His name is S.L. Gilbow, and he writes short stories. He's got a rather nasty sense of humor. Two of my favorite stories of his are "Red Card" and "The Locket".

He's also my English teacher from last year, but that's beside the point. Though I do blame him for giving me permission to go a bit darker with my roleplays.

welian

Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

Simmering Moonlight

Quotable Genius

5,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:52 pm
Suzanne Collins, J.K. Rolling, Edgar Allen Poe.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:58 pm
Heh, I definitely got into the habit of writing things with a bit of quirk thrown in from Pratchett. I love him. I enjoy reading Palanhuik too, but he hasn't really had an effect on how I write. At least I don't think. >.> I think I also picked up the facetiousness from Lemony Snicket when I was younger. XD  

Sami Von Disco

7,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Megathread 100

welian

Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:20 pm
OH DEAR GOD LEMONY SNICKETT.

He was amusing. And tragic.

Oh! I remember reading the Narnia series when I was younger. That might have influenced my writing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:23 pm
I think Edgar Allen Poe influenced me. It's his writing style that I just do not like. I thought I liked it back in middle school, but then I realized it was only because everyone else liked him. I just am not a fan.

I really love Sandra Cisneros. I'm pretty sure I've sampled more from her writing than from any other authors.

I'm so sure there are more authors, but I can't seem to think of them. I'm a tad picky of the books I pick up and actually read all the way through.

wahmbulance

Pintxo

Bro

Simmering Moonlight

Quotable Genius

5,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:28 pm
Aubergine Amphetamine
I'm so sure there are more authors, but I can't seem to think of them. I'm a tad picky of the books I pick up and actually read all the way through.

Same.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:35 pm
Well... Heres the thing, I don't actually read much at all XD
It takes me AGES to find a book that interests me, so due to that fact I haven't really got a fave auther.
what I do have though is books I greatly enjoyed smile So I'm assuming the authors works are all good too (FAIL!!)
The dudes called Tim Dorsey, the book I read was Triggerfish Twist. the books about this nutter Called Serge lol, and to summ it up, at one point he kills someone using a water wiggle, you know one of those tubes you attatch to a hose and it wiggles all over the place for summer waterfight fun. And annother point in the book, a different character makes a bong out of a roast chicken xD. I highly recomend it XD  

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

Starlight_Memoirs

2,800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:09 am
william shakespeare  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:45 am
Suzanne Collins definitely got me into describing scenes better and how to write a fight. J.K. Rowling was one of the first authors to actually get my imagination going to it's full extent. Stephen King inspired me to write much darker things and for now that's where I'll stay. However, Heather Brewer was the author who got me to say, "This is what I want to do when I grow up. I want to be an author." So really, she affected me the most by encouraging me to really commit to writing.  

Todd186

pythonesque
Crew

Kawaii Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:17 pm

LEMONY SNICKET.
Add him to my list.
Embarrassing/Awesome: when me and my friend were younger, she called me Lemony and I called her Jacques when we thought we'd be cool and use code names.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:48 am
OMAIGOHMA.

I read so much that they ALL influence my writing. I have to be careful, though, and not write after reading a really good book cause then I get these weird splotches in my writing where I write like someone else... and then fade back to myself.

I have to say that, when writing in first person, I tend to be heavily influenced by Stephenie Meyer. sweatdrop

Faves:
Stephen R. Donaldson (who encouraged me to think outside the box/pages with his Covenant books)
Tolkien (whose writing I still cannot read well because it is SO rich)
Anne McCaffrey (who wrote more works than I ever will in my LIFE)
Lemony Snicket (who was the master of "a word which here means")
Clive Staples Lewis (there are no words for the dude's awesomeness)
Christopher Paolini (who is my literary inspiration--dude wrote Eragon at sixteen)
Terry Pratchett (ohmaigohma... so funny... but hasn't influenced my writing much... maybe I should read more)  

Andirigible

Shadyness

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:56 am
While I have many authors whose work I enjoy reading, there are only a few that I feel have actually influenced my work.

I think my biggest influence is Orwell. The sinister political messages/warnings have always been my forte.

Proceeding from there, I have been influenced by Huxley, Bradbury, Burgess, and others of the same vein. Movies like the Matrix, V for Vendetta, etc. also find their way into my inspiration.

When I was younger I was heavily influenced by The Giver and Bridge to Terabithia. Which are both fairly dark for children's stories.

In my more light-hearted works I'm influenced more by movies than books. I enjoy drawing from traditional fairy tales and I'm sure Rowling has influenced me some there, as well as McCaffery, also the 10th Kingdom, Disney and the like.

I suppose my influences are a bit of a melting pot razz  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:19 am
well when i was younger i read a LOT of books and never really focused on one author until i came across Tamora Pierce. she was the one who made me want to write to actually make myself believe i could. when i read her books from the earliest to the latest i can really see how she has grown as an author and it makes me believe that even if i'm not that great at first my writing will improve over time. and then there's Charles De Lint there are no words to describe how amazing he is. he made me believe that anything is possible. even in the real world an alternate reality could exist. and finally there's Anne Rice only she can master the vampire novel. she made me fall in love with the darker side and give me my lust for blood (in my writing). everything she writes is so detailed and so emotional even when she just writes about Louis staring at a candle flame. her words are very powerful.

oh and recently i have found Kelley Armstrong and i have fallen in love. now there is an author who knows how to write about the supernatural... maybe not vampires but i love her take on werewolves.  

FoxyNightPrincess

Lonely Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • The Wolf Within 100

Shadyness

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:37 am
foxy_chick99_123
well when i was younger i read a LOT of books and never really focused on one author until i came across Tamora Pierce. she was the one who made me want to write to actually make myself believe i could. when i read her books from the earliest to the latest i can really see how she has grown as an author and it makes me believe that even if i'm not that great at first my writing will improve over time. and then there's Charles De Lint there are no words to describe how amazing he is. he made me believe that anything is possible. even in the real world an alternate reality could exist. and finally there's Anne Rice only she can master the vampire novel. she made me fall in love with the darker side and give me my lust for blood (in my writing). everything she writes is so detailed and so emotional even when she just writes about Louis staring at a candle flame. her words are very powerful.

oh and recently i have found Kelley Armstrong and i have fallen in love. now there is an author who knows how to write about the supernatural... maybe not vampires but i love her take on werewolves.

The only Anne Rice novel I ever read was The Violin and while it was an interesting concept her writing bored me to tears. I don't know if this is a misfortune for me or if her other writings are better because I never gave her another shot. I had a similar experience with Tolkien: the first novel of his I attempted to read was The Hobbit which is ungodly clunky. I have heard from LotR fans that his other works are much more readable, but I've never ventured to try it out.

I had forgotten about Tamora Pierce, I used to adore her... and Madeline L'engle. They're both fantastic at creating their own worlds.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff