Reply General Discussion
I need help!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TJTheStrange

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:01 am
I'm having trouble finishing my book. I keep running in to instances where I think something like "Oh this isn't what people want”. Or “ahh this sounds to boring I need to go back and change it" And I always end up redoing the first eight or so chapters. I need someone to help keep me on track and focused and periodically read it so I know it’s not boring or
a peace of trash. If you interested PM me

THANKS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:03 am
Try making an outline for your story, it'll give you something to follow.  

Lyvidian

Zaviire

Neophyte Raider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:04 am
I do the same thing. But I've gotten better about that. Try not to think about what other people will think until your done. The first draft is going to be drastically different from the final (Er, unless you're me... But you're not so.), so um. Yeah.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:29 am
There comes a point when you have to stop looking over your shoulder for mistakes, and just start plowing through in order to make progress. I agree that making an outline would be a good idea.
Feel free to PM me with your story, though I'm not a highly skilled or experiences editor.  

Hugsthebook

Xiao Xianyu

4,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:59 am
My suggestion is trying Nanowrimo. LOL Seriously, nothing pushes you to stop fixing and just plow through than dozens of people yelling at you - DON'T EDIT!! - any time you mention being tempted to do so on the forums.

I'm horrible about finishing stories. Between the urge to rewrite what I've written and my habit of - oooo, pretty new idea, let's write this for awhile.

Since starting nanowrimo, though I never actually got to 50K words in the month, I've actually finished several stories. So I think it helped me alot in that respect.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:19 pm
So pretty much what everyone else said...

Stop worrying about what other people "want."
You'll either never finish, or if you do finish it won't really be your voice. It'll be the voice of "everyone else."
And that's...not good.
You're the writer. Use your voice.

Pintxo

Bro

General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out