Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Technical difficulties with writing...
  Make me wanna dance with joy
  Make me wanna drop kick my abusive cat out of the window
  Make me wanna rip apart, limp by limp, the very cause of these difficulties
  Make me wanna sit down, drink a cup of tea, and pleasantly think these difficulties through
  Make me wanna bash my skull against my refrigerator
  Make me wanna SHOUT come one now SHOUT come on now SHOUT hey hey SHOUT (has anybody heard that song???)
  Make me wanna scream so that the entire world can hear my pain.
View Results

damaged-reality

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:37 pm
Here's a little story:

I typed nearly 30,000 words of a story. I really liked it. I lost my flashdrive. Down the toilet that story goes.

Things like this SUCK. There's no better word to describe it. Well actually, there probably is, but it's really late at night and I don't feel like coming up with a better word. If you can think of any other words to describe difficulties with writing (such as the example above) please feel free to express them in as violent as a manner as possible. Jk. Be aggressive, not violent.

So what kinds of things have gotten in the way of YOUR writing?
Stories?
Comments?
Complaints?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:43 pm
The first story I ever wrote, my mother deleted.

My own mother hacked my user account on the family computer, cracked the security on my documents file, and deleted the first real story I ever wrote, for no other reason than because it was about two girls falling in love.

I haven't had the heart to rewrite it, and I will forever hate my mother for doing it in a time when we still used floppy discs to backup our work. (she snapped those, too >.<)

I've been lucky with my flashdrives. I lose them sometimes, but they always make their way back to me eventually. I've never been in a situation where somebody's comments or criticisms have kept me from writing something, but with my luck, acknowledging that fact will cause it to happen soon sweatdrop  

Isaiah Moretti

damaged-reality

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:47 pm
It's amazing how once you write a story, if you lose it it's impossible to come back up with. It's like... you only have one chance at a story, so treat it like a baby.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:56 pm

I don't usually get to upset about it.
HOWEVER, I have never completely lost a story. I've lost versions of a story. I'll have version 1.5 but not version 1.1 or something like that.
I am nervous about my computer ever crashing, what would I do? I need to start storing them on my flashdirve & laptop.

pythonesque
Crew

Kawaii Fatcat

Lyvidian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:57 pm
When I use to write fanfiction I posted everything I wrote on FanFiction.net, and saved everything on floppy disks (flash/thumbdrives didnt exist yet).

Then one day, I tried logging into my FF account, and for some reason my account no longer existed. You could search by Pen Name and see my account in search results, but when you clicked on the account it said it didn't exist, and none of the stories showed. FanFiction had lost everything of mine.

So, I get the floppy disks, and shove one in the floppy drive. One by one, I checked each floppy disk... and they were all corrupt. stressed At that point I wanted to throw the piece of s**t Windows ME computer out the window. But I'm sure my parents would've grounded me if I did, so I didn't.

I stopped writing fanfiction after that, because everything I wrote was shounen-ai/yaoi, and I wasn't going to save that on the only computer in the house.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:02 pm
Isacean
The first story I ever wrote, my mother deleted.

My own mother hacked my user account on the family computer, cracked the security on my documents file, and deleted the first real story I ever wrote, for no other reason than because it was about two girls falling in love.

I haven't had the heart to rewrite it, and I will forever hate my mother for doing it in a time when we still used floppy discs to backup our work. (she snapped those, too >.<)

I've been lucky with my flashdrives. I lose them sometimes, but they always make their way back to me eventually. I've never been in a situation where somebody's comments or criticisms have kept me from writing something, but with my luck, acknowledging that fact will cause it to happen soon sweatdrop

Ugh! That reminds me of the rock collection I had when I was little. I was a silly little girl with dreams of being a paleontologist (because of Jurassic Park), so I started that said rock collection. I knew my mom would think it was trash, so I hid it. And she found it. And threw it away. TT~TT  

Lyvidian

Raincrow

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:49 pm
My brother deleted a silly little story I wrote back when I was ten or so, but I got over it nearly immediately, and haven't really had issues with that since then. I keep my story and all relevant files both on my laptop and on my flash drive--a flash drive I keep safely tethered to my bedpost at all times so it doesn't somehow wander away. It's worked well so far. My notebooks have also stopped walking off with themselves since middle school.

My main problem right now is just sitting down and writing. I should hopefully get back into the swing of things now that I'm not in the middle of watching a series and am somewhat gainfully employed. (Three things that keep me from writing: Watching shows on Netflix, reading long books, and being unemployed. Classes can also get in the way, depending.)  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:59 pm
I thought I'd lost a story completely once. The computer crashed, and it was one of the only stories I'd written completely on the computer. (I usually handwrite my stories) But I had this odd habit of emailing myself pieces of my stories. And I was actually able to recover most of it later. I was so relieved when i discovered that I could have cried.  

Xiao Xianyu

4,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

exdraghunt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:19 pm
I fortunately don't type most of my stuff and keep it all in notebooks. Which doesn't help me at all when i lose the notebooks. (something that actually happens rather frequently)

At the moment, every single thing I had on my home desktop is inaccessible due to the fact that I have managed to break the computer and it will not turn on anymore. I had all my pictures on a flashdrive (which is fortunate, I misplace flashdrive's like *that*) but all of my music, saved fanfiction, WIP Fanfiction, and old stories are trapped unless my mom can find someone who can fix the comp and not loose all the stuff in the process.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:31 pm
i don't know if i've ever lost a story before. i'm not good at backing things up on my computer either so i'm pretty lucky that way. i think i have part of one of my stories on a writable cd... yeah i still don't have a flash drive or anything. but i do tend to print off my stories so i can read them that way. i like to type them out sometimes and other times i write my stories down and then i always print them off so they're easier to read. so i have major copies of everything somewhere. i'm not one to throw any of my stories out either. but my main problem is actually sitting down to write. i have so much going on and nothing going on at the same time. i have my own apartment and a full time job. at the moment i'm working 6 days a week and when i'm not working i like to relax and watch a movie or play some video games or i'm just on the internet. and i swear i have ADD or something because my mind is always wandering so i tend to lose interest in something rather fast or i think something is a chore when i have to make myself do it. and i had a boyfriend for a while so when i wasn't working i was with him and i really let my writing slip.

omg you know what? all i hear is one excuse after the next coming from myself sweatdrop i just have to tell myself to shut up and have some fun. and in the end writing is fun.

ummm i think i rambled a bit there and went a bit off topic... sweatdrop sorry ADD kicks in again.  

FoxyNightPrincess

Lonely Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • The Wolf Within 100

Dark Mistress Rissa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:01 pm
I wrote a pretty good story when I was twelve. (19 now.)

And ... It didn't end. I was all "WTF! THIS STORY HAS NO ENDING! IT JUST KEEPS GOING ON AND ON AND.."

Well you get the idea. I'm pretty lazy with story plots and endings, but I have some very good ideas, and am thinking of a good enough plot to go with them. It has to be freaking awesome, because my story idea is pretty epic. But I'm too stinking lazy to even sit down and write! I have to drag my lazy butt out of bed just to get UP. Lmao.

Sorry, got alittle emotional there. 3nodding

Anyways, you've heard my problem.

Epic poll by the way. Made my mom break out in hysterical laughter. :3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:04 pm
Chibi Rissa

Epic poll by the way. Made my mom break out in hysterical laughter. :3

3nodding totally agree. twas the best poll i've ever voted on.

i was the:
Make me wanna sit down, drink a cup of tea, and pleasantly think these difficulties through.  

FoxyNightPrincess

Lonely Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • The Wolf Within 100

All Purpose Muling Device

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:18 pm
The only thing that gets in my way is the fact that I don't want to do it.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:01 am
I had a small Windows 3.1 craptop when I was eleven, and my best friend and I wrote SO. MUCH. STUFF. on it... and then one day it just refused to turn on. That was the last I ever saw of our hundred+ pages of work. I think I actually cried a little... and begged it to turn on... and... basically, I was a mess.

And then I wrote like twelve stories in the eighth grade, but they were all crap (cause I was in the 8th grade)... so I chucked them out.  

Andirigible

Drathi

Beloved Mage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:13 am
There was only one time when a critisism took the will to write from me, but I was young and still realitively inexperienced for my age. Nowadays, the main things that really get in my way:

1. Lack of readers-- It really gets discouraging after awhile. XP Either I suck or everyone's too busy reading something that's lovey-dovey (which I prefer on the side in my stories).

2. Power Outages... Oh, God, I HATED it when the power went out randomly during the summer.

3. PMSing brother who just can't let me write, when I'm on a roll. I tend to write until 1 AM, and my brother gets pissy. =_= I am quiet too.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff