Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xiao Xianyu

4,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:10 pm
Yep, you read that right. This is ripped from the Nanowrimo Forum last year (Though that one was strictly Fantasy Cliches, and I'm leaving this one more open to other types)

I always read in writing forums "How do I avoid cliches", "Don't do these plots because they're cliche", "I hate this or that cliche", etc. But there's always one...or several dozen...that get to us. No matter how many times you read it in different books, you still love reading it in a new - well written - one.

So fess up!

Oh, me first...

Okay...keep in mind, I love fantasy/sci-fi.

The person from the regular world getting sucked into the fantasy world. (Can't help it, I own so many books with this plot it's probably sad.)

The snarky side kick. (For me though, it's especially true if said side kick is the Streetwise Kid. Or Fantasy-town-wise. Or Fantasy-castle-wise. Whatever,I just have a weakness for that.)

The misunderstood villain who works under the main villain but isn't evil and ends up joining the good guys. I can never get enough of that plot. BP (That's bonus points, fyi) if he tragically sacrifices himself. That just gets me every time.

The stoic, honorable warrior/knight who is occasionally a stuck-up pain in the neck. You know he's going to sacrifice himself for the cause/group but you have to cry/cheer at his death scene anyhow.

Hidden identities. Because such-and-such a character is really a prince/princess/leader of the group their looking for/god/goddess. Whatever they need to be to help the group on their journey. Even though you see it happening from a mile away, it's always so cool when it does.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:20 pm
the vampire that falls in love with the human girl
D:

velvetsophisticate

FoxyNightPrincess

Lonely Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:23 pm
the female protagonist who has to prove herself to get respect in this man run world.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:31 pm
Oooo, I love the whole hidden-identities part too, as well as misunderstood villain and regular-into-fantasy biggrin

But I also really like the 'tall, dark, and mysterious' cliche. It's my girliest like other than the little fact that I dislike reading novels that have no romance--or romance between two characters who I do not appreciate together, haha.

But TD&M. Oh my. Especially in, like, anime or TV shows or whatnot. It gets me every time. Plus the stoic ones. I'm such a sucker for them that it isn't even funny. I also like the gentlemanly/princely kinds. Unless, that is, they have a temper, because those two pieces don't mesh well for me, personally. The best-friend/sidekick/comedic relief characters don't usually get to me so much, though.

For example: I don't like Ronald Weasley that much, but Draco Malfoy is totally awesome. Tamaki is too flamboyant, but Mori is sooo cool. England has too much of a temper, but Sweden is amazing. Sokka would make a great brother, maybe, but Zuko is hot in both literal and figurative manners.*

I have other cliches, but I can't seem to remember them right now. I'm too busy thinking about pretty boys. :]

*From, in order, Harry Potter, Ouran High School Host Club, Axis Powers Hetalia, and Avatar: the Last Airbender.  

Secret Kirari

Magical Dabbler

Lyvidian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:31 pm
I'm mainly into romance, and these are the cliches I'll never get tired of:

· Good girl gets bad boy
· Bad boy makes good girl bad
· Nerdy boy gets hot chick

If I can think of others (I know there are more I like) I'll add them. P:  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:37 pm
User Image
It's the story of my life.

Oh, gosh. I have to say, I like...

Those really gentlemanly guys that are always the hero.
The "twu wub" type of storyline.
Nerds winning. Anything having to do with nerds winning.

And, Secret Kirari: ZUKO IS SO HOT! LOL.

I know who would want to take me home...
--Semisonic,
Closing Time

Spellbound Blasphemy

Secret Kirari

Magical Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:47 pm
ISN'T HE?

And princely characters are so... adorable. They make me want to hug them.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:49 pm
User Image
It's the story of my life.

I KNOW RIGHT!
Jeez... I'm just in an all caps mood tonight... anyone know how to make six days disappear?! LOL.

I know who would want to take me home...
--Semisonic,
Closing Time

Spellbound Blasphemy

welian

Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:51 pm
To be honest.... I like playing emo guys. Sometimes girls too. I love characters that have some sort of downer in their past. It doesn't have to be a huge downer, but... Ialo takes the cake there. XD  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:56 pm
I'll admit I love anything involving a character having a secret identity. This, of course, means I read/watch a lot of the older super hero comics/movies, but also stuff like Eyesheild 21.

And, YES, normal person sucked into fantasy world. Or even a mundane finding out about the mythological underworld. Can't get enough of it.

(On another note, I HATE romance novels. Yes, hate. Takes a heavy dose of cheesy fantasy cliches to get me into a story)  

exdraghunt

FoxyNightPrincess

Lonely Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:57 pm
well to make six days disappear i normally hermit myself in my apartment and read a good book or six within that six days. or you can hibernate.

i really love the good girl going after the hot and brooding guy and finally getting him to open up to someone *gush*

really anything with a hot guy gets me going. even though i don't like romance books i love the fantasy books that has a romantic aspect to them. i just can't help but to gush every time something cute happens between them.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:58 pm
I like the straight jock/businessman falling in love with the enigmatic (usually hipster) gay boy. smile  

CallMeKada

Secret Kirari

Magical Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:00 pm
ohyesemoboys. Emo boys are usually pretty and therefore fall very nicely into my set of beloved cliches.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:04 am
I absolutely LOVE efeminate (sp.?) gay guys. Sexiest thing ever. I can't really agree with the emo thing, because I know too many personally to not be tainted against them, but I have a new appreciation for guyliner.

Thank you, Adam Lambert. <3

What else? Tsundere girls, the ridiculously cute and hyper characters in anime that always end their sentences with the sam word, (i.e. Chi from Chobits, or Himiko from Paniponi Dash ["Maho?])

I love the snarky sidekick. My roommate IS a snarky sidekick. To who, I'm not sure yet.

I love the strong, silent-type girls who have a weakness for cute things, (I.e. Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh). And yes, there is a difference between them and the tsunderes.

And really cool attack names, gun bunnies, and tinkertoy characters. I love those, too.  

Demona McRae

Dangerous Prophet

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Profitable 100

-S-Dancing_Star-S-

Dangerous Hunter

5,600 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:38 pm
The useless annoying (in a funny way) person who neither helps the main character and sometimes causes trouble. Ha, they make the story so much funnier than it would be  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff