Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stephenie Meyer?
Poopy.
12%
 12%  [ 9 ]
If it was legal I would hunt down the woman myself.
24%
 24%  [ 18 ]
Twilight=Bad. Her other books=good.
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
I think that she's a really inspirational person and I love the way she does her books. She's amazing. A true life changer.
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Enough with Stephenie. Let's talk about cookies.
20%
 20%  [ 15 ]
Who the heck is this Stephenie Meyer chick?
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Well, according to my mathematical calculations and judging by the exact angle that my shadow is angeling down towards my brown-colored carpet, it would be concluded that I want Gold.
25%
 25%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 74

damaged-reality

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:51 pm
I'd like to start off by saying that I DO NOT LIKE TWILIGHT AT ALL, and the only Stephenie Meyer book that I have read is the first of the twilight books.

But, I'd also like to say that I feel bad for Stephenie Meyer for all of the criticism and hate people throw in her direction.

Stephenie has done something incredible. She's created a series of books that highly appeal to the average human being. This is very, very hard to do. The entire point of published writing is to entertain people, right? And in this, Stephenie Meyer is a genius.

Now, I personally do not like her writing style, but I do respect her for creating such a fan base. The fact that she's been able to write something that appeals so much to so many people should be accounted for when people criticize her because, truthfully, she's one of the best people in the world at doing so.

Now enough with my opinions, because I really don't care about them. What do YOU think about her?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:02 pm
xI'll be first to admit, when I first read Twilight, I loved it. Mind you, I wasn't and never have been a Twihard, but I did like them. As I entered high school, I realized how the relationship between Bella and Edward was abusive, and how it was anti-feminist in the way that it showed how Bella literally could not function without a man. I found out this 'perfect' relationship was now being craved by millions of tweens who want a boyfriend 'just like Edward'. No. No, no, no, no. I've disliked it ever since.

Still, I read her other book called Host. I really enjoyed this, and though it is still a cheesy romance, it had other sub-plots involved that made it an interesting read. All in all: Host > Twilight. By a million.

Tejava

Blessed Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Generous 100

Jojishi No Kitsune

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:10 pm
Perhaps I should tell you my little sister's rant.

It goes somewhere along the line of "Stephanie Meyer is such a fuggin' shatty writer! The first and third books were the only good ones out of the entire series, and that's not saying much. It COULD have been a fantastic series if A) Someone else like Anne Rice had written it, and B) THEY HAD NOT MADE A MOVIE AND CAST A GREASY NASTY MAN as Edward."

There's a lot more to this rant, but I believe you get the picture.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:26 pm
I've not read any of her works aside from Twilight, but I certianly didn't find it as impressive as most other girls in my age group. In fact, I can't stand Twilight or any of its kin, and I think Mrs. Meyer is an awful writer. Her style is repetetive, tiresome, and lacks interest. In Twilight, for example, half of the book is describing Edward Cullen.
We get it. Bella thinks he's pretty. Get on with it.
The book itself is full of typo's and inconsistencies. Somewhere around the beginning, she describes Edworm's Edward's eyes as being "ocher". Ocher isn't a word. She obviously meant "ochre", and it's a little detail, but things like that irritate me to no end. Later, in one of her forest scenes, there is a "thin mist" around. Nothing unusual there. However, she suddenly shifts to a "smoky fog" with no transition or any other kind of change. It just randomly switches.
...Thesaurus rape. 'Nough said.
Very little thought behind the characters and the story. It's just another predictable little teeny-bopper fairy tale with magical venomous pixies vampires thrown in for the heck of it. No plot twists, no interesting and/or profound thoughts or situations, no real character development... Doesn't a decent novel typically require all three of these? Or at least one?
Meyer portrays stalking and abuse as perfectly acceptable and romantic. That's... That's not a good thing. Sadly, relatively few people seem to realize this.
Edward stalks Bella, creeps into her room at night, and watches her sleep. That isn't romantic at all; rather, it's creepy on multiple levels.
Edward verbally puts Bella down and forbids her from seeing Jacob. That is a form of abuse. It's understandable that he considers Fluffy Jacob a threat, but Jacob is a friend of Bella for a good part of the series. Forced separation from friends--not a good sign.
As for the author herself, I feel bad for all the hate she gets, but I understand she has a brother who reads all of her mail for her and weeds out any critique and hatemail. That's sweet, but critique is meant to help the author improve his or her writing. If Mrs. Meyer never gets any critique, how is she supposed to ever get better? Also, since her work has suddenly become so popular, she seems to have developed one massive ego. She addresses others with a sort of "Holier Than Thou" attitude. Watch a few of her interviews and you'll see what I mean. If she's going to be like that about such a mediocre book, then I don't think she particularly deserves all that money and fame.

Sorry if this rant is too long, but I really hate just about everything about Twilight. It's poorly written and lacks any kind of deep thought. I fail to see anything appealing or special about it whatsoever. And sorry if I sound like I'm making too big a deal about this series. I'm just fed up with the hype and the fact that Twilight really isn't that good. And I'm in a bad mood because I'm tired and coming down with a cold... I'm not normally this outright about such topics...  

Exarielle BlackLaw

Peaceful Warlord

Isaiah Moretti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:45 pm
Actually, Stephanie Meyer's book Host is way too similar to one of Stephen King's stories for me to find it in any way appealing. Similar premises, similar plotline, similar . . . well, everything.

Twilight . . . I made it a goal to read every single book in the series and watch every single movie, and I've done so. As far as the storyline and execution is concerned . . . it could've been done better. Ms Meyer put a lot of thought and effort into doing it, but once Twilight took off, I think that her publishers rushed the printing of the rest of the series, and they rushed her into getting the stories written and edited. After Twilight, the quality of the writing dipped sharply, and that caused a lot of the criticism.

Twilight's fanbase stretches across world. Millions love what she's done, and millions more admire her for her guts in her work. I think that if any other author had tried to pull off what she did, they would have failed - and miserably so.

On a personal level, I found myself . . . please don't shoot me . . . enjoying the books. The stories were simple and safe, and compared to the other things I was reading and writing, they were fun and easy to read. I could immerse myself in it without really having to think, and that made me happy.

Of course, I also made it a goal to go through everything she's ever published (Host included) and take my editing pens to the pages. My mother nearly shot me when she saw me editing Eclipse because she thought I was marking up her copy of the book. ((My mother is a Twihard. She got one of my dad's work friends to find her a bootleg copy of the Eclipse movie because she wasn't patient enough for it to come out on DVD. But I forgive her.))

*looks up*

Alright, I think I've talked enough.

Edit: Wait, no I haven't.

Consider it this way: Instead of hating on Stephanie for her shitty writing, think of how inspiring it is that she could actually get that shitty writing published. I mean, if Twilight could spark an international social uprising on par with Harry Potter, it should be easy for me to get my bullshit published!

And yours too!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:59 pm
yes, all of you have said it exactly as i've always thought.

although, i do disagree on one point. it isn't the writer everyone loves, it's those two faggots characters she's created. "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob". ugh, those terms disgust me. while i admit i've seen all three of the movies (i've hated all three, mind you), i did rather enjoy the books and i understand why twilight has such a massive fanbase: stephenie meyer has successfully created the "perfect boyfriend" for all fourteen years olds worldwide. edward; with his perfect body, perfect hair, perfect eyes and perfect voice. completely and totaly unrealistic, but what pre-teen doesn't love fawning over a fictional character, especially when it's one so maddeningly PERFECT!?

i just dislike twilight for what it's become. i wonder if it was the same for any of you other guys; the ones that've seen the movie. did your theaters hang up big, massive signs that read "team edward" or "team jacob" or, god forbid: "team jasper/carlisle/rosalie/emmet/alice"!? i nearly laughed my head off upon seeing all those signatures underneath each poster (while i wasn't ripping the heads off every twi-hard wearing a twilight shirt? i mean, come on - the movies were terrible. bella looks and sounds like she's having an anuerysm every time she delivers a line, and edward resembles nothing short of a very-hairy monkey. that "little indian boy" was probably the best actor in the entire film, and even that's saying something.

woo, i guess i'm done for now. oops, nope.

what i'm really trying to say is that stephenie meyer is actually a great writer. i loved the host - loved it. i couldn't help but notice the obvious differences between the two male leads in each book, though. she describes edward's kisses as "cold as ice", and jared/ian's as "filled with fire". i don't know, that just got to me.

BUT I HATE THE MOVIES, AND I CAN'T SAY IT ENOUGH! just thinking of all those preteens masturbating with an edward/jacob action figure is enough to make me want to puke.

and if i had a choice, i'd be "team ********>  

velvetsophisticate

Demona McRae

Dangerous Prophet

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:53 am
Jojishi No Kitsune
Perhaps I should tell you my little sister's rant.

It goes somewhere along the line of "Stephanie Meyer is such a fuggin' shatty writer! The first and third books were the only good ones out of the entire series, and that's not saying much. It COULD have been a fantastic series if A) Someone else like Anne Rice had written it, and B) THEY HAD NOT MADE A MOVIE AND CAST A GREASY NASTY MAN as Edward."

There's a lot more to this rant, but I believe you get the picture.

Honestly, I've only seen the movies, so I don't have a great basis for judgement, but as far as that "Nasty, Greasy Man"goes...

Have her watch The Haunted Airman. Oh, my god, that movie is wierd. But it speaks a great deal to tha actors ability, not just his total emoness as a Day-Glo vampire. SHe might change her mind. Or not, idk.

But I have to agree with the concept of her putting so much work into something and creating such a big phenomenon with it. Very few people have made that kind of impact on our culture.

But I swear to god, if I have to read another f***ing vampire story, I don't care what "Team" you're on. I'll nuke you till your babies glow.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:18 am
Daemon McRae
But I swear to god, if I have to read another f***ing vampire story, I don't care what "Team" you're on. I'll nuke you till your babies glow.

Do you mean "Sparkly Vampire" story, or generic "Bluh, I vant to suck your bluhd, bluh" vampire story?

Isaiah Moretti

Demona McRae

Dangerous Prophet

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:25 am
Isacean
Daemon McRae

Do you mean "Sparkly Vampire" story, or generic "Bluh, I vant to suck your bluhd, bluh" vampire story?

Vampires in general. Up until, Twilight, I never noticed how freaking many there are. It's sad. But I won't rag on the classics, some of the older stories. But every week, and B&N, there are like, 5 new ones in the New Release section.

Grenade me. Grenade me, now.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:30 am
Daemon McRae
Isacean
Daemon McRae

Vampires in general. Up until, Twilight, I never noticed how freaking many there are. It's sad. But I won't rag on the classics, some of the older stories. But every week, and B&N, there are like, 5 new ones in the New Release section.

Grenade me. Grenade me, now.

Have you actually picked them up and read them, or are you just judging the supernatural genre based on how many new books there are?  

Isaiah Moretti

Demona McRae

Dangerous Prophet

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:25 am
I've read a few, based on some friend's recommendations, and it's kind of sad. They're all about the same. Of course, I'm not trying to dog on the concept itself, more the fact that people might want to start writing about something else. I'm about an hour from Forks, and the area I'm in is loaded with Twihards and fangbangers.

THere's only so much a guy can take.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:29 am
Daemon McRae

Another ******** Vampire

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Personally, I haven't read any of Meyer's work. I haven't even seen the movies. And honestly, I don't want to. I've thought vampires and werewolves were overrated for several years before Twilight.

But, eh, if people like the books, they like them.

welian

Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

Demona McRae

Dangerous Prophet

5,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:41 am
Eylios
Daemon McRae

Another ******** Vampire

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Personally, I haven't read any of Meyer's work. I haven't even seen the movies. And honestly, I don't want to. I've thought vampires and werewolves were overrated for several years before Twilight.

But, eh, if people like the books, they like them.

This is totally going to sound double-standardized, and probably is, but webcomics don't count. Neiter do attractive Scottish female vampires.

I should be more specific: The dangerous male vampire A seduces human female B but then plot twist C makes him a nice guy D. F for fail.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:07 am
I honestly can't think of anything I care less about.  

Mortok

Tipsy Exhibitionist

FoxyNightPrincess

Lonely Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:54 am
when i first read the twilight books i absolutely loved them. and then it stopped there. then the movies came out and i was so excited to see them and they totally sucked. so the movies actually ruined the books for me. i can't even look at them now without cringing away. and then when i tell people that i hate the movies when they go on and on about them they reply back with "of course the first movies were going to be bad they were low budget." well i don't care if it was a low budget movie. honestly, if the books were so huge and tons of people were looking forward to the movies then why did a small company get the script and then make them low budget? now i'm surrounded by little twilight fangirls that squee everytime they see a picture of edward or jacob. or i hear them say how they're going to marry edward or jacob. my head hurts just thinking about it.

also, i went on stephanie meyers fan site before the movies even came out and seen that she was working on another twilight book. it was basically the twilight book but in edwards perspective and it was to be called midnight sun. but after the book leaked out miss meyer had a s**t fit and wrote on the site that she was not going to continue writing becasue she was mad about it being leaked and if she had it her way and had to write it at the moment she would kill all of the cullens in the end.
reading that comment she made i totally lost all respect for her as an author and i will NEVER buy or read any one of her books again. because really after your books being such a huge success the books aren't about you anymore. you're writing isn't about you. it's in the end for your fans. and if you have no respect for your fans than i have no respect for you. (at the time i was one of her fans so i felt a little betrayed)  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff