Reply General Discussion
Sexism in Literature

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sexism
  Yay!
  Ok, um.... why even decide on "Yay!" as one of the answers? Sexism is HORRIBLE.
  Sexism makes me wanna regurgitate.
  Doughnut?
  Hehe, lol, so like, my bffl kathy was all like "he's tots magotes uber hilarlar," and I was all like "No way!" And she was like "ik!"
View Results

damaged-reality

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:29 pm
Sexism in Literature.

Did you know that it is now considered IMPROPER GRAMMAR to use sexism in writing?

Anyways, what do you guys think of it?
Examples?

Of coarse, I'm against sexism as a whole. I just wanted to know what others think of it.

edit:
whoops, forgot to say what sexism is. In case you don't know, sexism is being sexist against any gender, whether it be boy, girl, transexual, hermaphrodite, etc.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:32 pm
Sexism is necessary in some sorts of writing, I think.  

Lydia Blue

SSBBrawlerBitF

5,400 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:43 pm
Lydia The Great

Thank you for enlightening us on why sexism is sometimes necessary.

Meh, it's not really sexist if you portray a woman the way a woman acts in real life (the same applies to men, as well), however, stereotyping women to be gossips and all they do is talk and do make-up, and all the men are sex-craving drunk guys, that's not something I accept.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:03 am
damaged-reality
Of coarse, I'm against sexism as a whole. I just wanted to know what others think of it.

edit:
whoops, forgot to say what sexism is. In case you don't know, sexism is being sexist against any gender, whether it be boy, girl, transexual, hermaphrodite, etc.

Sexism is prejudice against another sex. Specifically, prejudice against males or females -- the two sexes that we have. It is not sexist to be anti-transsexual -- that's a completely different bad thing. It's also not sexist to be anti-"hermaphrodite" -- that's also a different bad thing.

Sexism is fairly specific.

Oh, and secondly, "hermaphrodite" is not the proper term. It's both inaccurate and considered offensive. The proper term is "intersex."

And no, sexism is never okay.

Edit: portraying sexism is not the same as writing in a sexist fashion, as note. You can portray whatever you would like, and should always do it well.  

All Purpose Muling Device

Lydia Blue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:58 pm
SSBBrawlerBitF
Lydia The Great

Thank you for enlightening us on why sexism is sometimes necessary.

Meh, it's not really sexist if you portray a woman the way a woman acts in real life (the same applies to men, as well), however, stereotyping women to be gossips and all they do is talk and do make-up, and all the men are sex-craving drunk guys, that's not something I accept.

My inability to convey my actual thoughts is appalling. What I mean is, that in some cases, say if you were writing a story about the society of Amazons, from a womans point of view, the men would not be considered equal. It's the same with men in power.
That's probably no clearer, but it's the best I can do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:25 pm
I'm taking a class all about this at the moment. It's scary how subtle yet powerful sexism in literature is. It's just as pervasive in our everyday speech, too.  

Glaciofluvial

pythonesque
Crew

Kawaii Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:30 pm
I consider myself a feminist, so I'm very much about equality between genders. However, there are differences between men and women in life.
It's the stereotyping can be a problem. Like, if you're writing it with biases and stereotypes based on gender. W
But, sexism begin a focus in writing is different. It happens in life. People are going to stereotype and judge, so if it is one of the issues in the story, it's fine.

This is complicated to explain...

General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff