Reply General Discussion
What stops you from reading someones work? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lyvidian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:59 pm
If there's no summary, and improper formatting (text walls, text alignment on the right), chances are I'm not even going to start.

I know there are some people wondering why I want to read a summary before the story, because I'm always asked why every time I mention that. Well, I'm a pertty picky reader, and I'd like to know what I'm getting into before reading. One advantage to having a summary is that you can get a reader interested in your story right away.

In regards to improper formatting: I have a 22" screen with IE on one half and Microsoft Word on the other, and text walls are a pain to read (split screen and full). A lot of people are deterred from reading a story if there are text walls, so before you post your story, preview your post to make sure it looks right.

So there's my answer, what's yours?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:04 pm
If it's very long, I get overwhelmed and lose interest. It's no fault of the author's, it's just a flaw of mine. I like to be able to get through a piece quickly, and obviously length can be a deterrent, especially on a computer. At least in a book, the pages break the text up.  

welian

Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

SSBBrawlerBitF

5,400 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:10 pm
I can't read a large amount in one go, especially on an internet page. So, large amounts of paragraps, or long sections of a story that are all at once, I'm automatically deferred from it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:10 pm
I'll read the first two paragraphs, and if I don't like it, I don't read it.

First impressions count with me!!! XD  

damaged-reality

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:23 pm
Bad sentence layout.

if I start to read something that doesn't flow well I tend to drag myself through it.
I say drag because sentence structure is something that needs work and i something I'll comment on at the end.

the other thing is when there's a lack of varying vocabulary, the same words for everything, and starting ever action with the characters name.
"Jack ran over to the phone. "hello I need a taxi" Jack said quickly. Jack needed to use the phone for a taxi because he was in a hurry. Jack didn't like being in a hurry."

So many time that their name can be replaced with He, Him or maybe just rearranging the words a little so Jack popped up in the middle instead of the start.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:35 pm
Jack doesn't like Giyari's reply.

Sorry, had to put that. XD; I'm the same way if sentences don't flow, I have to force myself to finish. If it's so bad to the point of where I need to reread constantly to understand what their trying to say then I stop.  

Lyvidian

velvetsophisticate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:00 pm
if someone just
doesn't know how to write.

i know, that kind of sounds mean,
but if run-on sentences,
poor punctuation,
improper grammar and
no use of capitalization
run amok, then i won't
even bother.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:03 am
Spelling & grammatival mistakes, improper formatting, bad writing, basically everything mentioned here except for the summary bit. But I do appreciate a few tags at the start, maybe a brief description.  

Candra delune

SugarRos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:53 am
Instant character description or 'dark, I-don't-know-where-I-am-or-what's-happening-and-I'm-running-around-confused' openings.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:25 am
I seconed everything except the summery. Those are nice, but they aren't a huge deal to me.

If a work is bursting with angst, I won't read it. Angst can be used well, but that is a very rare occasion.  

Feline Anachronism

Raincrow

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:47 am
Length is a definite factor. Unless I've specifically agreed to read and critique someone's writing for the long-haul, I don't normally like having to read more than a few pages. (This obviously doesn't hold for when I'm reading novels for pleasure.)

Text walls make me abandon hope. I also hate seeing really badly formatted pieces or stories with atrocious grammar. If I have a print copy of something, I can just mark their grammar all to hell with a red pen, but it's not as simple to point out mistakes over the internet.

Cliche dialogue will also turn me off, as will people saying "aye" in a fantasy setting. I've avoided reading whole books just because I skimmed through and noticed characters saying "aye" too much. Call it residual damage from reading the Inheritance books.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:47 am
If I glance the text over and I already see a lot of grammar mistakes and spelling errors, I won't read it.

A few are all right, but only if I notice them when I read the text.  

Appelsina

Friendly Friend

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:04 pm
Raincrow
Length is a definite factor. Unless I've specifically agreed to read and critique someone's writing for the long-haul, I don't normally like having to read more than a few pages. (This obviously doesn't hold for when I'm reading novels for pleasure.)

Text walls make me abandon hope. I also hate seeing really badly formatted pieces or stories with atrocious grammar. If I have a print copy of something, I can just mark their grammar all to hell with a red pen, but it's not as simple to point out mistakes over the internet.

Cliche dialogue will also turn me off, as will people saying "aye" in a fantasy setting. I've avoided reading whole books just because I skimmed through and noticed characters saying "aye" too much. Call it residual damage from reading the Inheritance books.

Whats wrong with 'aye'? XD Just a question dont worry I'm not getting at you (^_^). I personally, being Scottish, use 'aye' almost daily as a slang substitute for 'yes/yeah'.

Depending on the book and setting It can add to the feel of the book, say one of your characters has a Scottish accent, something that fits well in a fantasy setting and 'ye olde' languages for commoners. would it still put you off? I've read a book written entirely in glaswegian XD was pretty funny when I geot into it. The auther was Christopher Brookmyre incase you wanna look it up razz the book was called "A Big Boy Did It and Ran Away"  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:39 pm
Text walls.
Long stories on the 'net - I can't seem to focus for whatever reason, but I can read book for hour straight.
Bad grammar/style/structure.

I do like to have summaries. It's nice to know what you're getting yourself into. But, they aren't essential.

pythonesque
Crew

Kawaii Fatcat

Feline Anachronism

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:11 pm
Giyari
Raincrow

Whats wrong with 'aye'? XD Just a question dont worry I'm not getting at you (^_^). I personally, being Scottish, use 'aye' almost daily as a slang substitute for 'yes/yeah'.

Depending on the book and setting It can add to the feel of the book, say one of your characters has a Scottish accent, something that fits well in a fantasy setting and 'ye olde' languages for commoners. would it still put you off? I've read a book written entirely in glaswegian XD was pretty funny when I geot into it. The auther was Christopher Brookmyre incase you wanna look it up razz the book was called "A Big Boy Did It and Ran Away"

The only time I have a problem with the use of 'aye' is when it is used improperly. Of course, anything used improperly will make me stop reading.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff