Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

11 Cardinal 11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:28 pm
Right side. User Image

Left side. User Image

Full shot. User Image

I took these about a week ago when my danios and guppy were spazing out when the tank temp sky rocketed to 86. xD Everybody is fine now. I got a peppered cory a couple of days ago and he is TINY, but super active and accepted into the group smoothly. =) I can not wait to get my Gold barbs in a few weeks and I will post some pics. Does anyone have any experience with them?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:31 pm
User Image

That is one snazzy tank.

How exactly would you set up a sand tank?
How do you clean it?

I want one for when I move out.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:09 pm
*is insanely jealous because all she has is an empty 5 gal* That's a cool tank. I love the skull decoration too!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:10 pm
It's looking good! I love the sand too, and that's what I prefer for my tanks. It just looks so much more natural.

How many fish are you planning on having in total for it?

@T.D
I used plain play sand in mine, and rinsed it very well before use. When you siphon, you just hold the tip a bit above the sand as you move it. All the debris tends to sit on top, so there's no need to go digging around to clean everything.  

Banvivrie

Familiar Poster

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:33 pm
i have 4 gold barbs, they r real good community fish and will go well with ther kind as well as others, but its best to keep at least 4, more better

they have the occasionally pecking order, but other than that ther awesome  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:53 am
@ Testicular Diabetes: Sand can be a PAIN to clean. You can use play sand, I got mine at Lowes for really cheap..probably $3.50 for 20ish pounds and I only used half of the bag. Anyways, you get a five gallon clean bucket..Or big pot and fill it about half way up with sand then blast it with the hose, dumping the water out here and there, until it runs completely clear. It can take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. In my last tank I actually used aquarium grade sand and it took SO much longer to clean. =/

As for cleaning it in your tank...You can either use a large turkey baster, gravel vac, or even a net. xD Most of the nasty stuff stays on the top so you just run whatever right above the sand to remove the waste. Also, here in there run your fingers through the sand to make sure there are no pockets of toxins.

@DeeSpark: Well...Fill it up! D< My corys loovvee the skull deco. xD I can always find at least one crammed into it.

@Banvivrie: I agree about the sand fully. I much prefer it now. No nasty gravel gunking up with algae and everything.

As for fish, I currently have a guppy, 4 danios (a pair of zebra and a pair of leopard), and 4 cory catfish (one albino, one bronze, one green, and one peppered.). I always joke that I ave 5 danios and no guppy, because the guppy schools with them constantly. I plan on adding two more danios of the gold or turquoise variety this after noon or tomorrow morning. That will bring my shoal up to 6. In the near future, probably a few weeks, I plan on getting 5 gold barbs to complete my tank. I'm getting extremely close to maxing out my tank. xD

-6 danios
-5 gold barbs
-4 cory cats
- 1 lone guppy.

@dragwarrior: Thanks. I've been doing a ton of research, because I never go into anything blind. I'm getting 5 and I have heard that odd numbers seem to get along much better then even numbers. xD  

11 Cardinal 11

dragwarrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:18 am
yes most fish species do well with odd numbers cuz the odd one out probably might become the dominant one  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:34 am
User Image

Awesome!
I really want a big community fish tank, sand looks prettier than gravel.

Good luck with your amazing tank! ^^

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Jeeed

Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:46 am
Looks nice! Can't afford real plants or just dont want them?

Eventually, I want a huuuge tank, at least 75 gal (probably in seeeveral years seeing as I'm only 15-- Unless my mom doesn't mind. Then it'll be once I have a decent job)for various SA catfish and some other fish, but mainly catfish... I don't know why but I love plecos & cats razz  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:29 pm
Jeddi-kun
Looks nice! Can't afford real plants or just dont want them?

Eventually, I want a huuuge tank, at least 75 gal (probably in seeeveral years seeing as I'm only 15-- Unless my mom doesn't mind. Then it'll be once I have a decent job)for various SA catfish and some other fish, but mainly catfish... I don't know why but I love plecos & cats razz

Mostly to afraid to try. xDD Plus I have heard that plants do poorly in sand and I am NOT switching back, eevvvaarrr. Another this is my ccories..I'm afraid the plants will spread and I'll lose them. D: and then someone will die and I wont find them and yyeeaahhh  

11 Cardinal 11

Pictures

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff