Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:06 pm
User Image

I haven't seen a thread about Polygamy here so lets give it a go, eh?

Polygamy in a nut shell means plural marriage.
I's about having multiple wives, I haven't seen a marriage about multiple husbands but I'm sure that it is possible.

I do know that it was an old Mormon tradition however they do not condone it anymore. But there are some that do. The ones that do not support polygamy are called the LDS the ones that do practice polygamy are called the FLDS.

LDS: Church of Latter Day Saints
FLDS: Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints.

Lets discuss your thoughts about it.
Would you be able to go into a plural marriage?
Do you like the idea of a Purl marriage for someone else?
Do you think it should be legal or illegal?
What do you think about the TV show "Sister Wives"?

If i was wrong about any info please correct me politely.
Please lets have a calm discussion, I don't want name calling and bickering in here.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:12 pm
User Image

Polygamy...
I wouldn't be able to be in a plural marriage, I'm the jealous type.
It would be a recipe for disaster.
I really don't like the idea of it, I have seen news broadcast of different Polygamist groups getting busted and the children are not able to act like children, they don't play or anything they have to work. I also don't like it because of the lack of medical care for the pregnant mothers. I also don't like all of the inbreeding, it is not healthy.

I think it should be illegal and I think that they need to start cracking down on the FLDS groups.

The TV show, I haven't seen it yet but it looks very interesting. I would like to see how their family system works.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Ramcee

Premium Grabber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:34 pm

I, like you Testi, would probably not be able to last long in a polygamist relationship. Maybe a month or so before I got too jealous xD

I think it should be legal. If people want to do it, why should we stop them?
Of course, I think you'd need approval on both sides. If the husband wants another wife, but the first wife doesn't want him to have another, then he should not be allowed, and vice-versa.
And no incest, that can cause dangerous health and mental issues.

I've never heard of that TV show until just now xD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:42 pm
iNicoler

I, like you Testi, would probably not be able to last long in a polygamist relationship. Maybe a month or so before I got too jealous xD

I think it should be legal. If people want to do it, why should we stop them?
Of course, I think you'd need approval on both sides. If the husband wants another wife, but the first wife doesn't want him to have another, then he should not be allowed, and vice-versa.
And no incest, that can cause dangerous health and mental issues.

I've never heard of that TV show until just now xD
User Image

Yeah they show it on the TLC Network on Sunday nights.
I don't see how they made a show about polygamy if it is illegal in the states, it baffles me.
However I do want to see it, it looks interesting plus I like learning about taboo subjects.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Deadbeat Nightmare

Invisible Fairy

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:55 pm
User Image

I think I might not make it in that kind of relationship. I am the jelous type, so I might be unhappy most of the time. I don't think it should be illegal, What others chose to do is their business as long as its consensual. I also think they shouldn't force Marriages on each other, that I disapprove of. I have seen part of one of the episode, I wanted to finish watching it but my little sister changed the channel. For the families of the show, the seem very normal and they seem to make a happy family.
User Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:17 pm
User Image

I think that the only reasons why it should be illegal is...

Inbreeding, it is not healthy.
Lack of Prenatal care for mothers.
Lack of hospital care for women and children.

But if you are in the mainstream world not a closed community...

It causes problems with the wives, some become overly jealous.
People have hoodwinked the government, they have stolen social security checks and food stamps.
The Children get made fun of.

I don't really think that it is a healthy environment for anyone...

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Deadbeat Nightmare

Invisible Fairy

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:30 pm
User Image

That's true I agree with you you said. The part about the children getting made fun off, its sad that it happens but children are made fun off for any reason. So I don't really think thats a main concern.
User Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:36 pm
User Image

That is also true, children will make fun of everything.
But I still don't think it is right.

Sometimes kids will take things to far, and since this kind of situation isn't really common It scares me.
Maybe I'm overly paranoid but what if they bullied the child to the point of suicide?
I mean In the Fox Network I hear about kids bulling others through Facebook or Myspace and even assaulting the child and posting the footage on the internet.
It really makes me cringe, kids can get way out of hand.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Deadbeat Nightmare

Invisible Fairy

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:40 pm
User Image

Yeah that's true, I don't know what kids who do that are thinking. If that should happen they seem to be very family orientated so I think they would go to their parents first. I'm sure the adults will intervene and come up with a solution.
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:33 pm
I don't see anything wrong with polygamy as long as everyone in the relationship is okay with it. It's like having an open relationship, but one that's more like an exclusive vip club...  

Tsiklop

Dapper Humorist

Gallery Of Suicide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:44 pm
Why share when you can have your own is how I see it.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:09 pm
In the most inoffensive way possible: I definitely do not think it's right.
I'm not going to go into reasons because my rants are long and generally offensive to people who disagree.

Life Hath Immortality

Kaiyle Brightblade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:26 pm
I'd be open to try a polygamous relationship. I know the main emphasis for romantic love is on couples, but if my partner and I found a third person that we both loved and that person loved both of us, I think it could work out well. I would of course have to try it out before we got married, and I think that complications and drama would increase exponentially with every partner you added, but maybe it could work.

The old Mormon traditions seem a little sketchy to me though, with inbreeding and lack of medical care, and whatnot. None of that stuff is okay.

I think consenting adults should be able to do what they want regarding sex and lifelong commitment, as these are personal things are aren't going to harm anyone. So I would like polygamy to be legal, but I know that won't happen. Its hard enough getting society to accept same sex marriage, so I'd imagine this would never be legalized or approved of, and any children resulting from this union would be outsiders. I wouldn't want that.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:27 pm
Life Hath Immortality
In the most inoffensive way possible: I definitely do not think it's right.
I'm not going to go into reasons because my rants are long and generally offensive to people who disagree.
I would be interested to hear your viewpoint, and if I'm offended I won't take it out on you because I asked for your opinion.  

Kaiyle Brightblade

20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces