Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Game Masters Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: writing, stories, character, development, feedback 

Reply General Discussion
[I NEED HELP] writing a fight scene (btween heros w/ powers)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PolyMorpheus

OG Shapeshifter

10,775 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:39 am
I'm writing a novel. I want open the book with a dream of an epic battle but one problem... I've never written a fight scene between super powered characters, now that I think of it I've never written a fight scene period. Any advice?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:53 am
A few things that should be kept in mind at all times during a fight.

• Realism -- As much as they have super powers, they still feel pain.
  • Consistency -- Don't make up powers in the middle of the fight. That's just cheating
  • Know where it's going -- If you don't know how it happens, how can you write it?

A possibly useful web link -- Fighting gude.  

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:10 am
Yeah, it's usually a good idea to limit their powers in some way too so you don't go over the top with it.

Keep the environment in mind, the fight would be a lot different in a forest than it would be inside a city.

Know what the end result is going to be, who wins/loses before you start. That will make sure you know where to aim for and not go off track and get caught up in all the pretty explosions razz

The realism thing is a good point too. You want to make the fight believable. If a character gets stabbed for example, keep in mind that wound as it'll keep bleeding through out the fight and may even be the thing that finishes it, even if it was a minor wound earlier on. I think it's called bleeding out ninja OH! That's in Gladiator when he gets stabbed before the big fight XD  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:16 pm
Thanks for the tips guys.  

PolyMorpheus

OG Shapeshifter

10,775 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

damaged-reality

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:23 pm
Truthfully, if I has one piece of advice:

DON'T START YOUR BOOK WITH A DREAM.

Now for a fight scene... I actually posted one on this guild... well, the post has a fight scene in it... hmmm....

Ok, try to make it as violent and disgustingly graphic as possible. Graphic violence grabs readers, since it's something that can be very visual. Stick with the visuals. Fight scenes are meant to be a feist for the eyes. If you ever watch movie fight scenes, notice how they are often extremely visual, and contain dialoge intervals sometimes.

Moral of the story?
Make the scene extremely realistic and visual, so that the reader can remember it. Humans are visual creatures, so if you give them something that's good visually, then it's a good fight scene.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:24 pm
Oh, and one more thing.
Give some emotional value for both the enemy and the protagonist. This will get the reader to be more interested in the characters and the fight.  

damaged-reality

General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff