Writing- 2cool4uxP

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

2cool4uxP
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:18 pm
Hey guys, this is a story I wrote a couple years ago. I also posted it on goodreads so if you find it there, don' think I copied it because I didn't. sweatdrop And no, this is not recent, as I said before, I wrote it a couple years ago xD

What Felt Like 15 Minutes- The First Day of Seventh Grade

September 4th, 2007, I stepped in the class with drops of sweat shrieking on my forehead, terrified of what was going to happen next. When I first opened my eyes that morning I was scared stiff and now I was standing at the door, first day of 7th grade in a completely new classroom, in front of the scariest teacher known to walk on school premises. Twenty-five unknown faces were staring at me. Where was my friend, I had asked myself? I was scared out of my guts! Everyone that I had caught a glimpse of was so grown up! I probably looked like a little girl with my sneakers, jeans and pink shirt. At that moment, I wished I could really close my eyes and become invisible. I didn’t know anyone! I started to walk down the individual aisles searching for an empty seat. I wish I hadn’t noticed the eyes following me like ducklings following their mother. To my content, I found a seat near the door. I made a plan to make a run for it as soon as the first period bell rang.

The girls sitting around me stared in my direction. Observed my every move like there was no tomorrow. Why me? Out of all the other days, it had to be that day. That day was the day I was late.

My heart thumped rapidly as the teacher babbled on about her previous classes and how they impressed her. It seemed like hours before she finished her conversation about her first class, but again, to my disappointment, it had only been five minutes. I tried to listen. I tried to focus, but the pairs of eyes circled me vigorously. Was there something wrong with me? I had asked that question about every time I stepped into a new classroom, but that day it was a little too much of an obvious question. I tried to analyze myself in the little space that I had.

My outfit seemed normal, I had spent all summer trying to do away with my pimples and I had succeeded, so I knew it wasn’t that. In the thirty seconds I had before the teacher instructed me to pay attention, I had sniffed my hair and checked my clothes to make sure there weren’t any stains. “What is wrong with me?” I muttered to myself once again.

As nervous as I was, I finally realized-after what seemed like forever- what was off beam. I knew what I was lacking and it wasn’t materialistic…it was my confidence. I was slouching, my breathing was heavy, I was sweating like it was the end of civilization and I chewed my nails until they went numb! No wonder everyone was looking at me like I was some awkward child from another planet! I spent the next ten minutes trying to better my posture. Or so I thought. To my surprise, the period was over! I was horrified! I had managed to skip the first five minutes of school, but now I had to face time in between classes! I began to have that can-the-floor-just-open-up-and-swallow-me-whole type of feeling. As I nervously sneaked my way around the freakishly large students, I heard a brushed out dim voice behind me, “Hi!” I turned with shear anxiousness. I paused. I smiled. I had finally gotten that first moment of comfort.

After that, everything else was a indistinct memory. I guess what felt like the first fifteen minutes of the first day of school weren’t so bad after all.

Tell me how you like it! smile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:31 pm
My comments are in GREEN, corrections and the like are in RED.
Kay?
2cool4uxP

What Felt Like 15 Minutes- The First Day of Seventh Grade
Interesting title, but... I think a longer period of time here might show the tone of the piece better.

On September 4th, 2007, I stepped in the class with drops of sweat shrieking according to the American Heritage Dictionary, "shriek" means; a screaming, often frantic, cry. Sweat was screaming on her forehead? Please, replace this with something different. on my forehead, terrified of what was going to happen next. When I first opened my eyes that morning I was scared stiff and now I was standing at the door, on the first day of 7th grade in a completely new classroom, in front of the scariest teacher known to walk on school premises I like this description of the teacher.. Twenty-five unknown faces were staring at me. Where was my friend, I had asked myself? Huh? Either your tense is wrong here or you just got confused. I think you might have been going for "I asked myself". The "had" in this sentence is unnecessary and confusing. I was scared out of my guts! I've heard "scared out of my pants" and "scared out of my skin", but "scared out of my guts" is a new one... Everyone that I had caught a glimpse of was so grown up! I probably looked like a little girl with my sneakers, jeans and pink shirt. At that moment, I wished I could really close my eyes and become invisible. I didn’t know anyone! I started to walk down the individual aisles searching for an empty seat. I wish I hadn’t noticed the eyes following me like ducklings following their mother. To my content, I found a seat near the door. I made a plan to make a run for it as soon as the first period bell rang.

The girls sitting around me stared in my direction, Sentence fragments make the flow too choppy here. observed my every move like there was no tomorrow "like there was no tomorrow" doesn't quite fit in this context. If you do something "like there is no tomorrow", you do it remorselessly without thought of the implications or consequences involved. This doesn't quite work here . Why me? Out of all the other days, it had to be that day. That day was the day I was late.

My heart thumped rapidly as the teacher babbled on about her previous classes and how they impressed her This is first hour on the first day of school. She hasn't had any previous classes . It seemed like hours before she finished her conversation about her first class, but again, to my disappointment, it had only been five minutes First, the word "conversation" denotes that she was exchanging with one or more people, and in this case it doesn't like this is so. Try "speech" maybe? And, again, isn't homeroom first hour (we don't have homeroom at my schools.)? She wouldn't have had a "first class", because this is her first class. I tried to listen. I tried to focus, but the pairs of eyes circled me vigorously. Was there something wrong with me? I had asked that question about every time I stepped into a new classroom, but that day it was a little too much of an obvious question. I tried to analyze myself in the little space that I had.

My outfit seemed normal, I had spent all summer trying to do away with my pimples and I had succeeded, so I knew it wasn’t that. In the thirty seconds I had before the teacher instructed me to pay attention, I had sniffed my hair and checked my clothes to make sure there weren’t any stains. “What is wrong with me?” I muttered to myself once again.

As nervous as I was, I finally realized-after what seemed like forever- what was off beam. I knew what I was lacking, and it wasn’t materialistic; Ellipses aren't terribly effective in punctuating sections of narration, even when a pause is called for. it was my confidence. I was slouching, my breathing was heavy, I was sweating like it was the end of civilization Again, this simile is off. Try something like comparing this classroom experience to being in a physical activity, maybe? and I chewed my nails until they went numb! No wonder everyone was looking at me like I was some awkward child from another planet! I spent the next ten minutes trying to better my posture. Or so I thought. To my surprise, the period was over! I was horrified! I had managed to skip the first five minutes of school, but now I had to face time in between classes! I began to have that can-the-floor-just-open-up-and-swallow-me-whole type of feeling. As I nervously sneaked my way around the freakishly large students, I heard a brushed out dim voice behind me, “Hi!” I turned with shear The word you're looking for is "sheer". To "shear" means, in essence, "to cut", as in cutting hair off a sheep. anxiousness. I paused. I smiled. I had finally gotten that first moment of comfort.

After that, everything else was an If you're planning on using "a", think of the next word. If you start with a vowel sound when you say it aloud, make the "a" into an "an". indistinct memory. I guess what felt like the first fifteen minutes of the first day of school weren’t so bad after all.

Overall, this is quite good, but there are some things with your wording and word usage that you need to work on. Just remember that if the thesaurus says the words mean the same thing, it doesn't mean that they can be used interchangeably per se. Be careful.  

Spellbound Blasphemy
Vice Captain

2cool4uxP
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:48 am

Overall, this is quite good, but there are some things with your wording and word usage that you need to work on. Just remember that if the thesaurus says the words mean the same thing, it doesn't mean that they can be used interchangeably per se. Be careful.

Thank you smile I read over it again, and I can totally see where you're coming from. Then again, I wrote this in the 7th grade and its been years since I've looked at it. But yea, now that I think about it, it wasn't all that great xD

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it smile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:42 pm
I Liked it you described the characters feelings very well ^_^ I could almost feel the panic. The one thing I found myself not being able to picture though, was the classroom. You should describe the surroundings also it will involve your reader more ^_^ but still a very good piece of writing and i would look forward to reading more ^_^  

Burst_Angel_Ryoko

The Official Art/Writing Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff