Stereotypes. Period.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stereotypes...
  turn me on (what?)
  bring me back to the good old days... *sigh
  are HORRIBLE. Especially the VAMPIRE ones.
  I hate vampire stereotypes.
  Vampire stereotypes SUCK. Just like the movie, vampires suck, except worse.
  eye luv vampeyeerrrrs.
  XD
  I'm Phat: Pretty, Hot, and Thick.
View Results

damaged-reality

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:14 pm
Stereotypes.
You either love them. Hate them. Throw up on them. Eat them. Sleep with them. Actually, there are alot of things that you can do with stereotypes, but that's basically nearly an infinite list.

One of the many things that you CAN do with stereotypes is talk about them, and that's what I want to do.
So what stereotypes do you see often?
What do you think of them?
Personally, I see that science fiction stereotype alot, with aliens and spaceships and light-saber-like-thingies.

That's one example. And I don't like them.

So what do you guys have to say about them??!!

p.s. Please don't say the vampire stereotypes. I hear alot about them. People tend to focus alot of them, and I'm looking for things that I DON'T usually hear about. Plus, I put them in the poll, so you can go ahead and poll all you want about vampires.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:39 pm
--In romance films and books, there's a LOT of stereotypes, too.
Usually some bad guy/girl who catches the main characters attention.
Bitchy girls who try and mess up your life.
Moving to a new town.
That nice guy/girl who seems annoying at first.
Bittersweet ending.

I'm thinking here of The Last Song. I've not watched the movie, but I've read the book, and it's pretty good. Just sayin' that you see some of those stereotypical elements in [teen] romance novels today, whether they're set in modern day, fantasy setting, vampire setting....vampire setting, especially, it seems... SORRY. I won't go on about the v-word...  

Bollicina

6,100 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250

Mortok

Tipsy Exhibitionist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:50 pm
Fictional creatures have stereotypes now?

I really don't like how homosexuals are depicted in a lot of media. Even in supposedly "progressive" shows like Queer As Folk, where EVERYONE is gay, in the few episodes I saw the characters were basically behaving in the same depraved, irresponsible way that right-wing nutbars ACCUSE homosexuals of behaving.

In my experience, gay characters usually fit one of three categories:

1) Campy McSlut, the catty, swishy, lisping, cross-dressing, Cher-loving tramp who will probably DIE if he doesn't get some c**k RIGHT NOW.

2) Tragic McDies. Sometimes crossbred with the aforementioned Campy, Tragic McDies spends his life enduring abuses that would rival those inflicted on a Marquis de Sade protagonist, usually doled out by fathers, brothers and manipulative boyfriends. He'll most likely end up on the streets, swapping sexual favours for whatever illegal substance he undoubtedly got addicted to during his adventure and will probably die, if not from AIDS, then something equally stupid. One could argue that Tragic McDies is actually a fairly positive representation of homosexuality, but his inevitable end does carry rather unfortunate implications.

3) Butch McCelibate. Not obviously gay. So unobviously gay, in fact, that he has to go out of his way to remind the audience of his sexuality every now and again because he is never seen kissing, hugging, dating or even flirting with another man. Might as well be straight, since it would make no ******** difference to his character whatsoever.

What I'd really like to see is homosexual characters where their sexuality, while demonstrably present, does not overtake the whole damn story. Particularly in action roles. How come the gays are never secret agents or demon slayers? Do their limp little wrists prevent them from picking up a gun?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:00 pm
@Mortok: I'd offer up my homosexual characters, but since most of them haven't made it into a finished work (and I'm bad at writing characters that aren't crazy in some way), it'd be an empty gesture. Oh well.

ALSO ALSO ALSO! Less a stereotype and more an utter lack of any such characters BUT: Everyone past puberty wants to get some. There is no such thing as someone who simply isn't interested in such things. OR, if they do exist, they're evil/freaks/what-have-you. gidt, fiction, is it too much to ask for my lack of sexuality to be represented?

I mostly dislike how genres as a whole are stereotyped. Like fantasy; it's not all dragons and princesses and magic, people! *exasperated sigh*  

VenusRain

Timid Guildswoman

8,350 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Xiao Xianyu

4,550 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:03 pm
I don't mind science fiction with aliens, spaceships, and light-saber-thingies. Or science fiction with aliens, spaceships, and laser guns either. High fantasy with all the usual fantasy races and an evil emperor on the throne or trying to take over the land I actually have an unhealthy affection for. I think I can appreciate any stereotype that is a scenario if it's well written. And there are even character stereotypes that I find appealing on some levels.

In fantasy, sci-fi, and historical works there's the stereotype of the honor-bound warrior who would never do anything dishonorable on or off the battlefield. Perhaps because it isn't something that holds the same sort of relevance in the modern world, I find that type of character stereotype very appealing.

And while there seems to be a back-lash against them in recent times, I must say I like a kick-butt heroine. Apparently they've run rampant in modern stories, and cross the line from being strong to being just plain anti-social. But the first time I read Pellucidar and Dian the Beautiful attacked a freaking dinosaur with a spear to protect her husband, it was so wonderfully refreshing. It made me a fan of that type of character even once I found it in stories over and over again.

A stereotype that makes me want to tear my hair out is the Damsel in Distress type of female main character who can't do anything for herself. Can't save herself from danger, even when she should be able to. And has the added tendancy to do nothing but whine about her life. Even when her life does not seem that bad. I've read it in everything from romance novels to science fiction and it makes me want to scream and chuck the book out the nearest window.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:09 pm
As more of a roleplayer that a writer, I find that there are a vast amount of "the good guys always win" type of story. My favourite thing to do is to is to be the crackpot evil genious that constantly one-ups the good guys.

At one point I managed to pin someone to a couch with a sword through their guts. That was a fun Rp. I killed of the other characters one by one, leaving the city in ruins and taking over the country with his evil.

I think I'm just as big a crackpot as my character to think of these things in the first place.  

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

Sami Von Disco

7,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:23 am
I have to agree with Mortok, and then expand it to religion, race, politics, and just about anything else divisive. XD Why must all Republicans be rich, white, Christian, intolerant bigots? Why is every vaguely oriental person the techie/reliable, efficient assistant? Yeah, people that share a demographic share similar traits, but it's lame when a character expresses them all in such an obvious way.

And speaking of roleplays, (this is only loosely-related to stereotypes, sorry) it makes me laugh how many orphaned, prodigal, secret princesses there are in RPs, or sword-masters who are the strong silent type, always aloof, untouchable, mysterious, and looks-16-but-is-really-138.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:13 am
Sami Von Disco
And speaking of roleplays, (this is only loosely-related to stereotypes, sorry) it makes me laugh how many orphaned, prodigal, secret princesses there are in RPs, or sword-masters who are the strong silent type, always aloof, untouchable, mysterious, and looks-16-but-is-really-138.

That's not loosely based. That is a veeeery big stereotype. Those characters make up more than 75% of alll characters. What takes skill is making one of those characters that isn't a mary sue.  

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:34 am
Mortok
What I'd really like to see is homosexual characters where their sexuality, while demonstrably present, does not overtake the whole damn story. Particularly in action roles. How come the gays are never secret agents or demon slayers? Do their limp little wrists prevent them from picking up a gun?

Vin Diesel... Nuff said razz

@Articx, yep XD VERY hard to do that...
I also like making my characters play basicly the same I would. Chirpy, cheery, likes to wind up the emo characters smile , generally acts a bit of an a** towards people that 'annoy' him XD  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:43 pm
Giyari
Mortok

I also like making my characters play basicly the same I would. Chirpy, cheery, likes to wind up the emo characters smile , generally acts a bit of an a** towards people that 'annoy' him XD

Vin Diesel's not gay, dude. Nor are any of the characters he plays in any film I've seen.  

Mortok

Tipsy Exhibitionist

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:54 am
Mortok
Giyari
Mortok

Vin Diesel's not gay, dude. Nor are any of the characters he plays in any film I've seen.

He does play the stereotypical hardnut in every film he's in though. That's why he was mentioned.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:58 am
Articx-Frost
Mortok
Giyari
Mortok

He does play the stereotypical hardnut in every film he's in though. That's why he was mentioned.

Hmm, yeah XD tiz a massive rumour though  

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

Glaciofluvial

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:09 pm
I just have a dislike for stereotypes in general despite how they help free up extra cognitive resources for your brain to do other things... so I don't trust myself not to start talking and have it turn into an unnecessarily in depth and lengthy rant.

I can say that the stereotypes that bother me the most are the aspects of a character that have stereotypes attached to them that you can tell the author did absolutely no research on. Sexualities, gender/trans identities, and psychological disorders are often misunderstood and blatantly misrepresented by many of the authors whose work I have read (or attempted to read, anyway).

It just shows me that the author is using their knowledge of a certain stereotype as a gimmick to get people to connect with or feel a certain way about their character without actually having to do any work to give that character a personality. Two dimensional characters that perpetuate hurtful stereotypes... not really my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:27 pm
Mortok
Fictional creatures have stereotypes now?

I really don't like how homosexuals are depicted in a lot of media. Even in supposedly "progressive" shows like Queer As Folk, where EVERYONE is gay, in the few episodes I saw the characters were basically behaving in the same depraved, irresponsible way that right-wing nutbars ACCUSE homosexuals of behaving.

Queer as Folk wasn't progressive at all, it was fetishistic, which is exactly not progressive. It marginalizes the gay community in several different ways. The most frustrating thing about it is that the creator is a gay man who should really ******** know better, but ofc he doesn't and only cares about his own self. He's also the guy behind Torchwood, which is only slightly less fetishistic.

The L Word is better, if that makes you feel any better. Especially once the male characters get better writing behind them and stop being stereotypical straight piece of male cardboard.

I would also like to point out that the series Caprica (unfortunately cancelled due to low ratings with 5 episodes of the first season unaired the US -- but they are on Space in Canada) had a mobster who was openly gay and married to a man, and was a pretty hardcore, loyal triggerman. You might appreciate that.  

All Purpose Muling Device

General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff