Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sami Von Disco

7,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:16 am
Being the good little Gaian that I am, whenever I join a Guild or looking to join an RP, I read the rules. A common rule is to be nice to the others, which I agree is a good thing to encourage. However, some people go as far as to say, "No swearing at all," or "Please limit swearing." Now, in general Guilds I can understand that rule to a point. But in writing Guilds like this, or a roleplaying Guild, it seems out of place to me. I very rarely swear in real life (unless you count "damn," "crap," or "sucks" as swear words), but that's only because to me they feel like words to be used to express very strong feelings, and well... nothing much exciting happens to me. XD But I understand that for some people, a larger percentage of the words they use in a day are swear words.

With writing and roleplaying, character creation is important much of the time. It helps if you can identify the personalities and idiosyncrasies of your characters to make them relatable and interesting. Speech patterns can help greatly in distinguishing a character, and the frequency of swearing falls under that. Do you think it's appropriate for writing/roleplaying guilds to limit or outright forbid swearing, even when it's part of your work? How do you use swear words in your writing? Do you think swearing could be considered a tool in writing? Is there a line between swearing that is "acceptable" and "unacceptable," even in written works? Where would you draw that line?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:53 am
If people setting up an RP don't want the players swearing, then that's their right, I guess. They're the ones who set up the game.

But in your individual writing, you can swear as much as you like. Just this morning I used the word 'b***h' around ten times and the word 'c**k' once in a single piece of writing less than a thousand words long.

Only idiots would judge a story on swearwords instead of its actual merit.  

Mortok

Tipsy Exhibitionist

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:18 am
I don't mind the swearing and cussing in Rps that much, seeing as I do it a lot. Out of courtesy, I will do the whole "F***" asterisk thing, but even then, it's only where appropriate. In My Rps by all means cuss if you want to, but be considerate to others. If there are more asterisk than letters, it isn't acceptable.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:24 am
Swearing... I, I swear like a sailor xD In writing, out of writing, even in general chatting posts smile BUT! I'm sure you've noticed me giving out ******** ******** ******** ******** cool  

Giyari
Crew

Shirtless Ladykiller

ecopper12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:31 am
Why is this even a concern?

I mean, it's not like you don't hear it every single day. Sure, if you don't like it in an RP, then by all means limit it.

But don't expect me to censor myself if I want to curse. I hate using symbols to portray a word.

In writing? That's where I actually have a standard. If you are writing to a certain audience, then find out what type of language they use. After all, you don't want to be writing a book four younger kids and using "********" in it, do you?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:50 am
ecopper12
After all, you don't want to be writing a book four younger kids and using "********" in it, do you?

I'm willing to bet it's been done. Probably several times. Children's books can be "edgier" than one expects. Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes use the word 'slut' on at least one occasion, and that was published in 1982, and is a very popular children's picture book.  

Mortok

Tipsy Exhibitionist

ecopper12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:54 am
Mortok
ecopper12
After all, you don't want to be writing a book four younger kids and using "********" in it, do you?

I'm willing to bet it's been done. Probably several times. Children's books can be "edgier" than one expects. Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes use the word 'slut' on at least one occasion, and that was published in 1982, and is a very popular children's picture book.

Yes, I wasn't saying it hasn't been done before, but therein lies the problem.

It's been done before. Keyword being 'before'.

If you tried to pull that stunt nowadays in the age of political correctness, we'll see how fair you get.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:02 am
ecopper12
Mortok
ecopper12

If you tried to pull that stunt nowadays in the age of political correctness, we'll see how fair you get.

I know exactly how far it would get me. Needless to say, there would be a large friendly man called Bruiser waiting for me.  

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

Mortok

Tipsy Exhibitionist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:07 am
ecopper12
Mortok
ecopper12

Nah, you jsut live in the wrong country, man. Australia's picture books are hardcore. Google Requiem for a Beast.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:42 am
I actually swear a lot when I write, but mostly in dialogue.  

damaged-reality

VenusRain

Timid Guildswoman

8,350 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:19 am
ecopper12

I've seen some pretty hardcore stuff in things made for kids. And by hardcore, I mean "holy s**t how did this get past the parental BAAAAWWWWW".

And no, it wasn't swearing.

As for me... while I try to avoid swearing in narration, I stop caring past "WHAT WOULD X ACTUALLY SAY?" when it comes to dialogue. People curse. It happens.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:30 am
i swear a lot in real life. if someone doesn't like it i tell them "i don't ******** swear." or something along those lines. i also swear in my writing but i find more swear words come out when i'm angry. like very other word is ******** this or ******** that, or you stupid ******** b***h, or son of a b***h. i like to swear. although i tone down my swearing when dealing with the public. i've worked at a lot of places for customer service where it really wasn't acceptable because there would be kids around. but on occasion something eventually popped out of my mouth.
in my writing i use it sometimes. especially when the character gets mad. it just kind of pops out of me and them. i don't think we should have to tone it down only in the general forums when dealing with the younger generation. but if they really wanted to censor things i say they should just change their word filtering to strong. it doesn't bug me so mine is set at very minimal.

also i find it funny when i'm at work and a customer comes in and swears then they look at me and say their sorry. i tell them i probably swear more than they do and just laugh maybe next time i should say. "i don't ******** care."  

FoxyNightPrincess

Lonely Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • The Wolf Within 100

just call me butt

Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:30 am
Do you think it's appropriate for writing/roleplaying guilds to limit or outright forbid swearing, even when it's part of your work?

Well, yes. Because it IS their right to stop me from using bad words, so I just suppress my character's violent language. But, on the other hand, it is good to use cuss words when your character's really angry or it's just his habit.

How do you use swear words in your writing?

Well, if the setting is somewhere... well, normal, and the people there cuss a lot, I use some cuss words. It expresses a lot, and it easily formulates a character's personality.

Do you think swearing could be considered a tool in writing?

Ah, yes. Like I said earlier, it makes characters more believable, and life-like.

Is there a line between swearing that is "acceptable" and "unacceptable," even in written works? Where would you draw that line?

Yes. Acceptable is((Forgive me for the words, but I will make asterisks.)):
"D*** it, chill. I can't have you all jumpy and s***."

Unacceptable is:
"G**D***I*, M*****F*****! Stop that F****** S***! It making S***** noise in my head, good-for-nothing A**H****."

((Again, forgive me. I'm just voicing out my opinion.))  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:35 am
if i read that right. i don't believe i'd count damn it or s**t as swear words. they're very mild and used a lot. nor would i count stupid as a swear word either. although i could have been mistaken and that would have been a different word. it was difficult to decode the asterisks at times.  

FoxyNightPrincess

Lonely Prophet

12,850 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • The Wolf Within 100

just call me butt

Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:37 am
foxy_chick99_123
if i read that right. i don't believe i'd count damn it or s**t as swear words. they're very mild and used a lot. nor would i count stupid as a swear word either. although i could have been mistaken and that would have been a different word. it was difficult to decode the asterisks at times.

sweatdrop It wasn't stupid. Sorry for using asterisks but I think they are needed.

A for the s**t word, I guess you're right, but I rarely use it, so forgive me. I use c**p more often.  
General Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff