Reply General Discussion
Finding your ideal rpg

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

W00tification

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:05 pm
Growing older and more defined in my tastes I kinda just wandered away from general rpg sections and into the writers forum a lot or been sustained by my own personal rp woman. But from time to time I get that little itch that wants me to go back to something I loved.

Not a gaia veterian, I didn't know the jungle that is gaia rps. So taking a few in supernatural rps I really had to wince.

Most of my characters were at least 25+ of age. I didn't want to write one on the spot. Whats worse to make me wince is the use of over pretty anime images. I am used to the description not a slapped on generic anime picture. So its rather my misfortune to shy away from the gaia rp scene because I am longing for a mature (whinny teen rps are not mature they are GLEE without the highschool musical) non anime esc rpg.

Le Sigh.

Have you ever felt discourage trying to find factors that suit you a bit more.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:39 pm
I've never Gaia RPed, but on LJ there are almost no active OC-based RP comms. I mean, I know that Sues have to potential to run rampant in OC RP, but that happens with fandom-based RP too. *sigh*

...Thinking about it, it's just hard to find an OC RP that isn't vampires or poorly done high school RP. *facedesk*

But yeah, Barton Town's not the best place to look for RP. SO MUCH FAIL.  

VenusRain

Timid Guildswoman

8,350 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

exdraghunt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:41 pm
I feel like the Rp environment around here has gone downhill in the last couple years. (more likely I've just gotten older)

Yeah, I'll spend hours cruising just trying to find ones worth joining. I really like school based RPs, and it's horrible trying to find a literate school RP that doesn't use anime pictures. (and one that'll fit my preferred charrie, who's partially paralyzed) Sometimes, the search feels really futile, and I know when I finally do find something it'll probably be dead in a couple weeks. And yet I still search.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:01 am
I never even bothered with barton. I went straight to the guilds where there's more control. For those that are looking for (mostly) mature and sensible roleplayers, try the Roleplay Refuge. No doubt there's something in there for everyone, though this will include the vampire and badly done school ones. On the up hand, that's not the majority.  

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

Drathi

Beloved Mage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:21 am
To be honest, when I do RP on Gaia, I only use pictures because you must admit that reading descriptions is kind of tedious. However, I make sure I actually have art of my characters--not some stolen picture to slap on. It's really annoying negotiating with the creator of RPs, when they want pictures and ONLY pictures.

Biggest problem with Barton town: The pretty good RPs generally get ignored or drop like flies. I mean, ones where sure they don't use detailed dscriptions for appearance,which I will admit frequently have gotten me to say tl;dr, and use pictures instead, but these RPs have stuff hat I like: NO KIDS. Okay, I'm guilty of using an 18 year old character, but he's not godly powerful like everyone seems to like. Hell, if you don't count my immortal character (who is only used for RPs with friends), my strongest is almost 40 years old and HE has trouble taking down stuff.

Before I decided to turn the conept of this into my NaNoWriMo idea, I had this plan for one of those clichéd elemental RPs. However, I think Gaians and their "IWANNABLOWSHITUP!" complex would not like the fact that while they have these powers, they are rather useless against main antagonists, who are extra-terrestrials that are resistant to ALL magic. If you want to throw a boulder at them, you better have super-strengeth, pal. Want to burn them to a crisp? Here's some oil, have fun! Wanna... are we even sure you can drown these aliens? XD

I suppose that idea was sort of a bait and switch...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:42 am
I took a break from RPing in College, and when I tried to go back it was a total disaster. I'm with you, OP, I think the older we get, the harder it becomes to find a decent RP that isn't stupid.

I've never RP'd on Gaia, but I imagine it's sort of like the chatterbox....  

SugarRos

Sami Von Disco

7,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:25 am
Yeah, it's soul-crushing to look at Barton Town. Age does have a lot to do with it though. This site caters to teens, so while we may have been young teens when the site first started, we've matured and stuck with Gaia. However, there's always more young teens joining. XD So while a chunk of the userbase has matured, we're a pretty small group compared to the 13-16 demographic, who by and large aren't going to be very experienced in writing, let alone RPing. And don't even get me started about literacy on the internet. rofl I've just come to accept the fact finding a good RP is hard.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:05 am
I'm new to Gaia, so I have yet to RP here. But if it's as bad as it sounds, I don't think I want to.

Though, in terms of importance, not being a Mary Sue is greater than literacy, but they do often both come in the same package. :/  

Crazyshoe Williams

Articx-Frost

Unbeatable Raider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:25 am
Crazyshoe Williams
I'm new to Gaia, so I have yet to RP here. But if it's as bad as it sounds, I don't think I want to.

Don't avoid it outright. Just take your time to find a decent one. Barton Forums tend to be overwhelmed with crap, so the guilds tend to be better quality. Check out the guild I linked in my last post if you want a good Rp guild.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:47 am
Yeah, it's hard finding a good roleplay. I rarely make new characters to fit new roleplays unless it's upon request. What I will do is tweak characters I have used to fit roles. Sometimes, that means changing their age and exploring what life would have been like for them if they were younger or a lot older. It's actually good for character development

I prefer roleplays that don't have a picture only appearrance, but, as someone mentioned, that doesn't mean that it's a bad roleplay.  

Scythe de Zaran

Tipsy Punching Bag

24,125 Points
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100

Crazyshoe Williams

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:13 pm
Articx-Frost
Crazyshoe Williams

Don't avoid it outright. Just take your time to find a decent one. Barton Forums tend to be overwhelmed with crap, so the guilds tend to be better quality. Check out the guild I linked in my last post if you want a good Rp guild.

I'm already a member of that guild, thanks. :3  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:08 pm
Finding good roleplays is definitely difficult. I think the best way to go about it is either join a guild or start your own roleplay, but starting your own RP doesn't have guaranteed success. On the other hand, neither does joining a guild. It's just hard in general, especially here on Gaia. D:  

Yu-Gi-OWNED

Raider

6,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items